MN-SEN Special Election 2018? (Will Franken Resign?)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 05:23:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN-SEN Special Election 2018? (Will Franken Resign?)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: MN-SEN Special Election 2018? (Will Franken Resign?)  (Read 6068 times)
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 11:19:32 AM »

If Franken doesn't resign and more women step forward, surely he'd lose his reelection bid in 2020 anyway (especially with this picture circulating)? I think he will resign if more women step forward though.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 11:19:58 AM »

He's going to receive a lot of pressure from his fellow Senate Dems and state party. I really doubt people like Gillibrand and Hirono are going to welcome him back into caucus after this.

Plus, not to make this to political, but ... Democrats can't exactly be on a high horse with Roy Moore if they welcome back Franken.  I am NOT equating the two situations, but we need to have a stiff hammer on ANY type of thing like this, not just condemning it when it's the other party.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 11:21:25 AM »

Lori Swanson is obviously the frontrunner for the seat. Ellison and McCollum are dark horses.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2017, 11:24:38 AM »

Why do you think he'd lose the general? He seems perfectly acceptable for the MN electorate to me.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 11:28:01 AM »

Why do you think he'd lose the general? He seems perfectly acceptable for the MN electorate to me.

He's very far-left and is too affiliated with Minneapolis. Minneapolis politicians have a bad rap in the rest of the state, it seems.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 11:29:41 AM »

Of course Franken should resign. Even if it adds a theoretically vulnerable open seat to an already uphill map.

I doubt Ellison wants to run for Senate. Not sure who would be a good candidate here. Nolan, maybe. Though he's old, and defending his seat in the House might be tough.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »

He's very far-left and is too affiliated with Minneapolis. Minneapolis politicians have a bad rap in the rest of the state, it seems.
I mean Minnesota is a pretty far left state. I don't know much about the Minneapolis stereotype in Minnesota, but I don't think he's politically out of touch with the state. He's not even the most liberal Rep in MN. That honor goes to Rick Nolan.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2017, 11:34:41 AM »

Dems have no moral standing in places like Alabama if they don't pressure Franken to resign. Franken resigning is still our best path to taking the Senate in 2018.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »

I always hated Al Franken especially since Norm Coleman actually won but besides that he needs to resign!
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 12:42:09 PM »

I think Franken need to resign this is the last thing the Democrats need. Plus I like idea of Ellison for Senate especially if Moore is elected.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 12:44:34 PM »

I always hated Al Franken especially since Norm Coleman actually won but besides that he needs to resign!

No surprise there
Keep cool-idge
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »

No surprise there
Really all the polls said norm Coleman would win and the exit polls said Coleman would win. I say the gop should bring back Coleman.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »

A bit late here, but yes he should obviously resign.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2017, 12:49:53 PM »

No surprise there
Really all the polls said norm Coleman would win and the exit polls said Coleman would win. I say the gop should bring back Coleman.

Okay? Polls aren’t always reliable - cough cough Virginia 2017? Obviously democrats stole that election too since the polls said Gillespie was in the lead!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2017, 12:53:47 PM »

No surprise there

You always say the Republican that loses a close election actually won if [x, y or z]. It's not often that I see you concede. It's like you can't seem to accept that sometimes elections are very close, and yet one person will inevitably win. Somehow it's always the Republican getting screwed Roll Eyes
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2017, 12:57:20 PM »

This is so stupid what is an ethics panel going to do? The photo is as clear as day what he did, he's done he will not survive another election. At this point he's just putting his colleagues and party in a difficult position. Resign and let the story die and spare the party the embarrassment.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2017, 12:57:46 PM »

Dems have no moral standing in places like Alabama if they don't pressure Franken to resign. Franken resigning is still our best path to taking the Senate in 2018.

Obviously Franken should resign, but the situations are not even close to equivalent.

I'm pretty sure Ellison would lose a statewide race.
Keep cool-idge
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2017, 12:58:13 PM »

No surprise there

Okay? Polls aren’t always reliable - cough cough Virginia 2017? Obviously democrats stole that election too since the polls said Gillespie was in the lead!
Virginia would have been a Gillespie win under 2009 or 2013 turn out that’s why I thought Gillespie would win I didn’t expect the surge in voters in NOVA and Richmond suburbs.
So no it was not rigged against Gillespie in either 2014 or 2017,the only races I can name that were rigged are Washington gubernatorial election 2004 and Minnesota senate 2008.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 12:59:44 PM »

Franken Calling for Ethics Panel Investigation of Himself.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2017, 12:59:57 PM »

I really don't see Ellison replacing Franken, considering that there's a 90% chance that Frankens successor will be a woman.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2017, 01:03:19 PM »

Franken is putting the DFL in a TERRIBLE spot, every Dem in the state will be asked if he should resign or if they support him.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 01:03:29 PM »

I'll admit, this title really confused me for a bit. However, we still need him to resign within the next couple of days, to be honest.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2017, 01:03:35 PM »

He’ll resign soon enough, and Dayton has to appoint a women. Lori Swanson is the obvious choice. I don’t think it needs to be spelled out why Ellison would be a very bad candidate for reasons unrelated to his gender.

This whole thing is disappointing, but I’ve long thought Franken had some skeletons in the closet, and here they are.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2017, 01:11:34 PM »

Makes no sense for him to resign over one allegation regarding harassment when he was not in office.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 01:12:43 PM »

“Damn Al Franken! Damn everyone who won’t damn Al Franken!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning Al Franken!!!

This guy used to be one of my heroes, but he turned out to be a total animal. He even gave a half a$$ apology about it, disgraceful... f$&k this guy...

I already like the sound of a Senator Ellison, Senator McCollum, or Senator Walz, or literally any other MN dem capable of winning the seat.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies