Do you need to be "born and raised" to run for office somewhere?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:38:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Do you need to be "born and raised" to run for office somewhere?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you need to be "born and raised" to run for office somewhere?  (Read 1816 times)
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2017, 05:25:25 PM »

How big of a factor is being born and raised in the state you wish to run for office? How late is too late to make connections to make that run? Does it vary by state?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 09:49:47 PM »

Being born will help you with every voter group. Everyone supports their candidates existence. As for raised, there are laws against young people running for certain offices.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:57:28 AM »

It will help a lot since people will view you as "one of them" as opposed to someone who transplanted there.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 10:20:47 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2017, 10:22:50 AM by Dereich »

Its a highly location-specific issue. I'd suspect that in most small towns, rural areas, and states that are mostly native-born you'd need to be born there or have spent a long time there. In big cities or states like Florida, Arizona, or Nevada where a large majority were "born and raised" elsewhere, it probably counts for little. Local connections are still highly important no matter where you run, but that's very different from being born and raised somewhere.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 10:24:11 AM »

In Alaska, people totally understand if you are not "born and raised" because it's so popular for the locally-born to leave when an opportunity presents itself.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 10:26:28 AM »

I would imagine it also depends on if you move there, make it your permanent home and live and work for awhile before running. Nobody trusts the guy who moves states and immediately runs for office.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 10:33:19 AM »

I would imagine it also depends on if you move there, make it your permanent home and live and work for awhile before running. Nobody trusts the guy who moves states and immediately runs for office.

Like Hillary moving to Chappaqua?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 10:40:12 AM »

Seems they wanted her there, plus she's still living there. Not like Scott Brown, but you have CDS so it's understandable.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 10:50:21 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2017, 10:54:02 AM by Santander »

Seems they wanted her there, plus she's still living there. Not like Scott Brown, but you have CDS so it's understandable.

Scott Brown was born literally across the river from NH to New Hampshirite parents, lived in NH as a child, and owned a home and paid taxes in NH for 20 years.

He lived most of his life in the 60 miles between Kittery and Boston, which just happens to span 3 states. Out west, 60 miles might not even be the distance between the two nearest towns.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 11:02:35 AM »

Really scratching the bottom of the barrel to prove Santander wrong, eh?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 11:06:45 AM »

No? Carpetbagged to MA, pulled a massive tiny upset, then got rejected. Then crawled back to NH when they said they didn't want him and got rejected again. Perfect example, now he's not wanted anywhere. I'm sure if he came to FL and said "white power" you guys would love him though.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 11:15:59 AM »

Scott Brown was born literally across the river from NH to New Hampshirite parents, lived in NH as a child, and owned a home and paid taxes in NH for 20 years.

He lived most of his life in the 60 miles between Kittery and Boston, which just happens to span 3 states. Out west, 60 miles might not even be the distance between the two nearest towns.

Please don't confuse Master(bator) Jedi with facts, sir.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 11:19:18 AM »

Please don't confuse Master(bator) Jedi with facts, sir.

Take a nap old man, you get way too grumpy when you don't have a nap and have to interact with people who don't just lie down to your grumpy old man persona.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 11:21:52 AM »

No? Carpetbagged to MA, pulled a massive tiny upset, then got rejected. Then crawled back to NH when they said they didn't want him and got rejected again. Perfect example, now he's not wanted anywhere. I'm sure if he came to FL and said "white power" you guys would love him though.
I don't know how us honkies would feel about that, but just about every Cuban I know would get on board.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 11:54:57 AM »

Honestly, I have think in a way that if you move somewhere, it shows you're even more committed to represent that place, because you wanted to be there and worked to get there, rather than just randomly being born there.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 12:55:48 PM »

Minnesota often gets a bad rap for being "passive aggressive" and "unfriendly to outsiders", etc.

That said, east coast Jews in particular do very well in Minnesota.

As the venerable senator Al Franken said in his 2008 campaign against incumbent Senator Norm Coleman:

"I am the only New York Jew in this race that actually grew up in Minnesota!"
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 01:03:53 PM »

Its a highly location-specific issue. I'd suspect that in most small towns, rural areas, and states that are mostly native-born you'd need to be born there or have spent a long time there. In big cities or states like Florida, Arizona, or Nevada where a large majority were "born and raised" elsewhere, it probably counts for little. Local connections are still highly important no matter where you run, but that's very different from being born and raised somewhere.

Agreed
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 03:51:12 PM »

Yes, you need to be born and raised in wealth
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 04:01:42 PM »

Trey Hollingsworth is a much better example than Scott Brown. Moved into the ninth a month before declaring.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 05:55:47 PM »

Dutch names win in western Michigan...with that comes assumption of local ties.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 12:12:35 AM »

Trey Hollingsworth is a much better example than Scott Brown. Moved into the ninth a month before declaring.
Or Alex Mooney, originally from Maryland, and served in the state senate there, before moving to one of the closest towns in WV to the Maryland border in order to run for office there.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 01:25:46 AM »

I think it depends on how established and long ties are to a place, not really where you were born.  In Tennessee, no one (or at least no one I have ever talked to) cares that Chuck Fleischmann (NY), Scott DesJarlais (IA/SD), Diane Black (MD), Marsha Blackburn (MS), or Speaker Beth Harwell (PA) are not originally from Tennessee.  Harwell is even the only one of those five who even was in Tennessee as early as undergrad, but they all have lived here for a long time and are generally viewed as Tennesseans.

Contrast that to Grant Starrett (who I supported in the primary last year, for the record), who was born in New York and grew up in California, where he went to Stanford.  He did come to Tennessee to go to law school at Vanderbilt.  Almost immediately upon graduation from Vanderbilt, he moved to Murfreesboro (the 4th District) and ran against Scott DesJarlais in the primary.  DesJarlais (who is not actually a native Tennessean himself) and his supporters ruthlessly attacked Starrett for being from California, which may have been decisive in the primary.  No one would have really cared if he had run in five or ten years with more of a foothold established in Tennessee (or maybe even if he had run in Nashville instead of Murfreesboro), but he was still viewed as an outsider last year.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »

I just know that I vote against any carpetbagger who runs for office here. If they haven't assimilated into Dixie culture, I won't vote for them for any local or state position.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »

I think it depends on how established and long ties are to a place, not really where you were born.  In Tennessee, no one (or at least no one I have ever talked to) cares that Chuck Fleischmann (NY), Scott DesJarlais (IA/SD), Diane Black (MD), Marsha Blackburn (MS), or Speaker Beth Harwell (PA) are not originally from Tennessee.  Harwell is even the only one of those five who even was in Tennessee as early as undergrad, but they all have lived here for a long time and are generally viewed as Tennesseans.

Contrast that to Grant Starrett (who I supported in the primary last year, for the record), who was born in New York and grew up in California, where he went to Stanford.  He did come to Tennessee to go to law school at Vanderbilt.  Almost immediately upon graduation from Vanderbilt, he moved to Murfreesboro (the 4th District) and ran against Scott DesJarlais in the primary.  DesJarlais (who is not actually a native Tennessean himself) and his supporters ruthlessly attacked Starrett for being from California, which may have been decisive in the primary.  No one would have really cared if he had run in five or ten years with more of a foothold established in Tennessee (or maybe even if he had run in Nashville instead of Murfreesboro), but he was still viewed as an outsider last year.

If you know Nashville mayor Karl Dean, I think he's from Iowa, but he was in TN by 1981 so I don't consider him a carpetbagger. Basically the longer you live here, the less of a carpetbagger you are, I think.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies