Poll - Alabama Evangelicals more likely to vote for Moore after new allegations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 12:07:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll - Alabama Evangelicals more likely to vote for Moore after new allegations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Poll - Alabama Evangelicals more likely to vote for Moore after new allegations  (Read 5645 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2017, 02:33:05 PM »

Poll: 37 percent of Alabama evangelicals more likely to vote for Moore after allegations

A JMC analytics poll finds 37 percent of the evangelicals surveyed say the allegations against Moore make them more likely to vote for the GOP Senate candidate in the upcoming election. Just 28 percent say the allegations made them less likely to vote for Moore and 34 percent said the allegations made no difference in their decision. The poll was conducted from Nov. 9 to 11 with 575 responses. It has a margin of error of 4.1 percent.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/360010-poll-37-percent-of-alabama-evangelicals-more-likely-to-vote-for-moore-after

Wow - Alabama Wow!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 02:38:51 PM »

More/less likely polls are meaningless.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 02:48:13 PM »

American Evangelical Christians are, by far, the most right-wing group in the country - by far. So, this is absolutely unsurprising. It's also worth noting that it didn't separate White Evangelicals from other Evangelicals; White Evangelicals are almost certainly considerably worse on this score than all Alabama Evangelicals.

What I found even more interesting is that more females are actually more likely to support him because of this than males...

Male | 28% more likely, 39% less likely
Females | 30% more likely, 37% less likely
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 02:53:04 PM »

Well... wow.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 04:06:28 PM »

What I found even more interesting is that more females are actually more likely to support him because of this than males...

Male | 28% more likely, 39% less likely
Females | 30% more likely, 37% less likely

That's a difference well within the MoE for the whole poll, let alone these subsamples.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 04:20:41 PM »

That's evangelicals for you. Told you all in the other thread. No surprises here.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 04:22:11 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 04:27:56 PM »

Yep.  Many folks will just say that "X" makes them more likely to vote for the candidate of their choice, even if it doesn't.  To actually get a sense of whether something helps/hurts, just look at how the horserace numbers change.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 05:02:27 PM »

Sounds like a lot of Christians are going to Hell.
These people are a disgrace to the teachings of Jesus.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 05:21:56 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2017, 05:43:09 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

Evangelical Christians are stuck with a candidate who is (to be kind) seriously flawed.  The accusations are what they are; one of them is starker than the rest because of age the alleged victim was at the time the candidate had sex with her.  At the same time, you have a candidate who will, more likely than not, advance policy objectives that would be objectionable, and that may not be able to be readily undone.

On top of that, Evangelical Christians don't believe the liberal media.  Some of this is the result of parroting, but some of this stems from the unflattering way the media presents Christians, often without erroneously.  And they are not wrong in suspecting media bias.  The media expects these folks to submit to their views on marriage, sex, etc. or be judged as bigoted and hateful, but the idea of the Bible actually being authoritative in its entirety is dismissed and ridiculed by the media (often for "journalists" personal agendas).  Yet when this same media reports on Muslims taking vile actions based on the Quran, they are lectured by this same media to be understanding and not judgmental.

So when these very same media folks come forth with an accusation against THEIR candidate (which, on top of everything, allows the media to portray all Evangelicals as hypocrites, bigots, etc.) they look askance at the fact that this comes out almost 40 years after the fact against a man who's been in high profile positions in Alabama public life for decades now.  The man (Moore) has not been charged with a crime.  He has been accused by persons decades later, and only one of the acts mentioned would have been a crime, and that's only if the alleged victim were, in fact, under 16 at the time of the incident.

If I were an Alabama voter right now, I would not vote for Roy Moore. I would vote for Doug Jones. Let me be clear on that.  I am not impressed with Moore's denial, and while he may, in fact, have broken no laws, his behavior was both unseemly and power-driven.  I consider myself a mature Christian, and, as such, I see Moore (based on his responses to these allegations) to view himself as unaccountable to other men and women, and appears to be relying on his voters' skepticism of the media to carry the day.  I would vote for Doug Jones because I do want my public officials to, at a minimum, view themselves as accountable to God and to their constituents.  Roy Moore has acted as if he's accountable only to God, and even that's doubtful.  I don't want that level of a power driver in high office.

But I am hesitant to criticize my Evangelical brethren who come to an opposite conclusion.  Here at Atlas, they will be judged by those who hate them, no matter what they do, and who resent it when they, themselves perceive Evangelicals to be judging them. The folks all in a dither about Moore's accusers care not one whit about Juanita Broaddrick and Kathleen Willey (the latter of whom was far more timely in reporting the allegation, FWIW).  So I'm not convinced of the outrage here; some folks here dumping on Moore view the whole thing as good news; the possible pick up of a Democratic Senate seat, and at Roy Moore's expense is the sole motivation of the "outrage".  As for Doug Jones, I think far more of the candidate than I do of some of his "supporters".  
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 05:35:46 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2017, 05:42:21 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

If you, ProudModerate2, have not accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior by faith, and believe that his Death on the Cross  and his Resurrection provide the ONLY acceptable sacrifice in the eyes of God the Father for the remission of sin, you will not be saved, and will not have Eternal Life with God.

Those, my friend, are the teachings of Jesus.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Those teachings, btw, do not give folks license to sin unrepentantly.  If Roy Moore has actually done any of what he has allegedly done, legal or not, and continues to do it unrepentantly, there is a question as to whether or not he has truly placed his faith in Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior.  Being Saved is a matter of BELIEVING; belief leads to predictable action.  It's more than just saying magic words.  But there is no sin Roy Moore has committed (or any sin you or I have committed) that God will not forgive.  

I am curious as to why you think so many Christians are going to Hell, or are a disgrace to the teachings of Jesus.  What teachings are you talking about?  
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 06:29:15 PM »

If you, ProudModerate2, have not accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior by faith, and believe that his Death on the Cross  and his Resurrection provide the ONLY acceptable sacrifice in the eyes of God the Father for the remission of sin, you will not be saved, and will not have Eternal Life with God.

You apparently forgot to include that it is also required that an individual f*** a 14 year-old child to be "saved." And when others in your congregation also do this, give them a big "pat-on-the-back" and an "atta-boy."
And then people wonder why the Christian religion (all religions for that matter) is on a severe and steady decline.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 06:34:07 PM »

You apparently forgot to include that it is also required that an individual f*** a 14 year-old child to be "saved." And when others in your congregation also do this, give them a big "pat-on-the-back" and an "atta-boy."
And then people wonder why the Christian religion (all religions for that matter) is on a severe and steady decline.

You have no idea what it means to be born again. Keep your bigotry to yourself.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 06:37:39 PM »

This would be considered a bigoted comment if one of its sort were made to folks other than Evangelicals.  It's not the end of the World, but I WILL point out the double standard by some.  
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 06:55:38 PM »

So I guess evangelicals don't care about child sexual assault. Such "Christians"
Angel of Death
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 06:57:15 PM »

Seems like a variation of the "backfire effect".
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 07:13:19 PM »

So I guess evangelicals don't care about child sexual assault. Such "Christians"

Is this another bigoted comment that gets a pass?

I am not convinced Moore committed a crime under Alabama law, although he may well have.  I am convinced he acted in a sexually inappropriate manner with unmarried 16 and 17 year old females, and that he has a God Complex.  

I don't think it's "not caring" about child sexual assault for someone to question the veracity of an accusation made almost 40 years later, and in the heat of a highly visible campaign for public office, against an individual that has been in the public eye for decades.  I'm convinced by the information put forth at this point not to vote for Moore if I lived in Alabama.  There are folks in this forum who had the same information about Bill Clinton and voted for him anyway.  Do they not care about sexual assault, either?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 07:14:26 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 07:16:26 PM »

What he said isn't that off-base.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 07:29:12 PM »

There were a lot of Pharisees in the days of Jesus, and there are a lot of the same types on all sides today. That's why Christianity doesn't pretend that people are inherently good - or that we're 'saved' because we somehow deserve it. If people as diverse as Roy Moore and Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama can all claim to be Christian, then obviously being a Christian today does not imply any sort of political persuasion, necessarily. But to bring this back to earth, the correct response is that more likely/less likely polls are meaningless.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 07:33:45 PM »

It's not a matter of hypocrisy, it is a matter of distrust. Evangelicals feel so abused by the media and the elites that they refuse to believe anything coming out of the media. Conservative media and the GOP do not help the situation either, misinforming the people so that they will still turn out for whatever reptile politician will reliably pass tax cuts and cut social spending, while themselves exercising poor moral values. Of course, there are some horrific actions committed by evangelical leaders that are not appropriately dealt with - it happens in every religious or social community - but Evangelicals are uniquely branded as hypocrites when such events occur.

When you feel cornered and oppressed, you may find yourself sharing a bunker with people you may not be proud to be in the company of. It's very hard to convince people that they need to kick that other person out.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 07:47:48 PM »

clickbaity title lol "no difference" is as much of an opinion as "more/less likely"
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 07:51:23 PM »

It's not a matter of hypocrisy, it is a matter of distrust. Evangelicals feel so abused by the media and the elites that they refuse to believe anything coming out of the media. Conservative media and the GOP do not help the situation either, misinforming the people so that they will still turn out for whatever reptile politician will reliably pass tax cuts and cut social spending, while themselves exercising poor moral values. Of course, there are some horrific actions committed by evangelical leaders that are not appropriately dealt with - it happens in every religious or social community - but Evangelicals are uniquely branded as hypocrites when such events occur.

When you feel cornered and oppressed, you may find yourself sharing a bunker with people you may not be proud to be in the company of. It's very hard to convince people that they need to kick that other person out.

Oppressed?  Give me a break.  Is anyone calling for an Evangelical Christian ban?  Is the President of the United States calling you a terrorist?  Do people assume you're a member of a terrorist organization every time some self-righteous theocratic prick gets caught with his pants down?  Don't play oppression olympics here.  Do not even go there.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2017, 08:09:08 PM »

The writer is talking about Independent Fundamentalist Baptist churches as if they are (A) representative of Baptists, and (B) are mainstream.  This is a misrepresentation to make it appear that this is a norm amongst Evangelicals.  It is not, and all parties here know this full well.  

The stuff this reporter talks about is NOT typical of most Evangelical Churches.  I will say that one of the goals of a quality YOUTH GROUP is to encourage young Christians to remain sexually abstinent outside of marriage, and to only date and marry other Believers.  That's a whole lot different than what is discussed in the article, and that is what conforms to God's dictates in Scripture.

But this article represents why Evangelicals don't trust the media.  They see stories about these fringe movements and nut cakes like the Westboro Baptist Church presented as mainstream, when they are fringe groups, and things that Evangelicals DON'T condone.  It represents bigoted and distorted "journalism" by a reporter who, likely, has an axe to grind against Evangelicals in general  

The MSM feels free to slander and libel Evangelicals as a group.  Why Evangelicals should just take the word of folks that play fast and loose while distorting facts about them is quite understandable.  I doubt that Senator Scott or ProudModerate2 would trust Steve Bannon to write an objective bio of their lives.  
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2017, 08:38:05 PM »

Fuzzy, your kind has been calling liberals, Muslims, gays, transgender people, and literally everyone who doesn't think like you, the spawns of Satan for decades.  Now we're all supposed to have sympathy for you when you're getting marginalized?  Suck it up, snowflake.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies