Roy Moore accused of sexual abuse
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:31:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Roy Moore accused of sexual abuse
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Roy Moore accused of sexual abuse  (Read 24388 times)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2017, 06:38:04 PM »

Is everyone a pervert or are we just more touchy and politically correct than we used to be? Cosby, Spacey, Weinstein now Moore. Everyone.

Could you elaborate please? Which behaviors specifically are you suggesting we are too "touchy and politically correct" about? Can you be a little more specific about what conduct exactly you would like us to go back to tolerating like we used to?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2017, 06:45:09 PM »

Why are people still engaging Naso?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2017, 07:34:41 PM »

The average Republican voter is even more deplorable than me. It's not ridiculous at all.

I don't know .... your Deplorable level is quite high. Wink
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2017, 07:36:39 PM »

I mean, half the population of the state has done the same thing

Jesus !
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2017, 07:38:20 PM »

The average Republican voter is even more deplorable than me. It's not ridiculous at all.

But he has some redeeming qualities. Wink
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2017, 08:55:56 PM »

But he has some redeeming qualities. Wink

I like to read his posts through the lens of him being a somewhat clever troll.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2017, 09:00:49 PM »

I can't be the only one who thought this would happen to Cheaten' Ted first lol.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2017, 10:54:29 PM »

Hey, is this a situation where the Senate may choose to not swear Moore in? I know we talked about this for Gianforte in the House, which of course didn't happen, but I mean that was just for punching a guy. This is a whole other level of disgusting offenses.

I am impressed with the fact that the 'voting rights' party is skipping over the minor detail of losing the elections and directly proceeding to schemes to simply steal it.

But no, if Powell v McCormack holds, losers of elections are not permitted to do such a thing, at least in the House. Such logic almost surely carries over to Senate elections.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2017, 11:15:43 PM »

Hey, is this a situation where the Senate may choose to not swear Moore in? I know we talked about this for Gianforte in the House, which of course didn't happen, but I mean that was just for punching a guy. This is a whole other level of disgusting offenses.

I am impressed with the fact that the 'voting rights' party is skipping over the minor detail of losing the elections and directly proceeding to schemes to simply steal it.

But no, if Powell v McCormack holds, losers of elections are not permitted to do such a thing, at least in the House. Such logic almost surely carries over to Senate elections.
Not swearing in Moore would not mean the democrats get the seat, another republican, preferably one who's not a pedophile, would get it
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2017, 11:23:56 PM »

If Alabamans want to be represented by a child rapist in the US Senate over a scary Democrat, that is their prerogative and they should own it.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2017, 11:26:41 PM »

I think what people are thinking of is the Senate expelling Moore and letting Governor Ivey appoint a new interim R Senator.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2017, 11:26:58 PM »

All Powell v McCormack bars is refusing to seat a duly-elected scumbag.  It placed zero limitation on the Constitutional authority of a house to expel a scumbag upon a two-thirds vote.  So if Moore does end up being expelled, it'll be because at minimum fifteen Republican Senators vote to expel him, fewer than that if he's expelled in the next Congress.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2017, 11:35:39 PM »

All Powell v McCormack bars is refusing to seat a duly-elected scumbag.  It placed zero limitation on the Constitutional authority of a house to expel a scumbag upon a two-thirds vote.  So if Moore does end up being expelled, it'll be because at minimum fifteen Republican Senators vote to expel him, fewer than that if he's expelled in the next Congress.

On the contrary. There is longstanding precedent in the House rules against such a thing, which is why it has essentially never happened in the history of the Republic.

Since we Republicans are required to accept the outcomes of elections, I suspect folks will let sleeping dogs lie and not attempt to steal the election.

Link

On May 23, 1884, Speaker Carlisle decided that the House had no right to punish a Member for any offense alleged to have been committed previous to the time when he was elected a Member, and added, "That has been so frequently decided in the House that it is no longer a matter of dispute."
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2017, 11:41:47 PM »

I just don't get why Republicans always get away with this sh**t. Clinton got impeached for a consensual affair with someone who was actually over the age of consent, Harvey Weinstein gets vilified by the right and yet David Vitter, Donald Trump, and now Roy Moore are going to get away with prostitution and rape.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2017, 11:46:01 PM »

I think what people are thinking of is the Senate expelling Moore and letting Governor Ivey appoint a new interim R Senator.

Yes, I am aware of the specific malarkey that these schemers are proposing to steal the election. The scheme fails for numerous reasons. First, if the GOP was in the business of kicking out senators, they would start with people in your party like Bob Menendez. Second, if the GOP was actually successful at this scheme, elected Senator Roy Moore could simply run again for the Open seat in the 2018 elections and win again.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2017, 12:01:59 AM »

That's a very selective interpretation, kraven. Powell only used those long-standing House rules as part of why SCOTUS was unwilling to accept that Powell's exclusion vote was a de facto expulsion vote.  However, nowhere in Powell did they decide that the custom that the expulsion power not be used to punish for conduct prior to being seated was an enshrined precedent, never to be changed.  If custom based upon long-standing legislative courtesies could never be changed, then Garland and not Gorsuch would be on the Court right now. At least McConnell's thievery was mere politics. If Moore did what he's been accused of, he committed actual crimes.  If so, expelling Moore so he could face charges without him hiding behind Congressional immunity would seem to me to be the correct course of action. (There's no statute of limitations in Alabama for sex offenses with those under the age of 16.)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2017, 12:09:47 AM »

Wow. If you read the details of what he did to that 14 year old girl, you just want to vomit.
But I have no doubt, that the Deplorables in Alabama are going to elect this creep into office.
Disgusting !
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2017, 01:38:17 AM »

A hardcore christian social conservative being guilty of multiple incidents of sexual abuse towards underage females? Nobody should be surprised by that. Frankly, the most surprising aspect of this is that the victims aren't 10 year old boys.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2017, 02:21:08 AM »

Loving on kids is a proud Southern tradition, right?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2017, 05:09:08 AM »

Would the Democrats even expel him? I'm not sure what senate Democrats think but most Democrats on here seem to be fine with the crazies taking over the GOP.
mencken
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2017, 07:21:05 AM »

Amazing how women always get the courage to report sexual misconduct (even decades after the fact) after the accused wins a Republican primary...

Indeed.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2017, 07:33:00 AM »
« Edited: November 10, 2017, 07:37:17 AM by Senator Scott🍂 »

Amazing how women always get the courage to report sexual misconduct (even decades after the fact) after the accused wins a Republican primary

When did Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein win a Republican primary?
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2017, 07:42:02 AM »

Amazing how women always get the courage to report sexual misconduct (even decades after the fact) after the accused wins a Republican primary...

Indeed.

These women were sought out, they didn't reach out.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2017, 08:21:01 AM »

Indeed.

These women were sought out, they didn't reach out.

It doesn't matter. People like mencken are why Moore is going to win

At this rate, they will just transfer their pedophile and rapist politicians to different districts.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2017, 08:25:57 AM »
« Edited: November 10, 2017, 08:32:17 AM by Saturday's Cab Ride Home »

This'll add another five points to his victory margin.
These sort of comments only make the commentor look dumb and its amazing they don't realize.

"Moore's still going to win despite this", sure. Probably true.

But its absurd and offensive to indicate there are actually people who aren't planning on voting for Moore now are swayable to,vote FOR him BECAUSE of this.

(IceSpear's "bar had if the Republicans ran a Klansman they'd probably break 75% in West Virginia LOLZ" junk is similar, the implication is that a notable number of West Virginians are not voting Republican now and supporting the Democrats simply because they believe Trump isn't racist enough.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies