Shooting at Texas church: At least 20 people dead, 30+ injured.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 09:35:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Shooting at Texas church: At least 20 people dead, 30+ injured.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Shooting at Texas church: At least 20 people dead, 30+ injured.  (Read 8171 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 04:02:51 PM »

Casualty count now stands at 27 dead, 27 injured. Since the congregation was about 50, this indicates that virtually every person in the church was shot. Unspeakable.

http://abcn.ws/2yxeulg

No one should be able to do this.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »

In all seriousness, Trump "monitoring" the situation from Japan is much pointless since it's a law enforcement issue right now that the President has nothing to do with. He just wanted to make the situation about him somehow.

Not to take Trump's side here or anything but what the f**k do you want him to do?

His "monitoring" the situation is pretty much just looking at the television while he stuffs his fat face with food. Law enforcement is playing the active role, not the President. He could have issued the standard "thoughts and prayers" and kept it moving.
Then you'd bitch that "thoughts and prayers" aren't enough.

To be honest, they're not enough.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2017, 04:04:20 PM »

In all seriousness, Trump "monitoring" the situation from Japan is much pointless since it's a law enforcement issue right now that the President has nothing to do with. He just wanted to make the situation about him somehow.

Not to take Trump's side here or anything but what the f**k do you want him to do?

His "monitoring" the situation is pretty much just looking at the television while he stuffs his fat face with food. Law enforcement is playing the active role, not the President. He could have issued the standard "thoughts and prayers" and kept it moving.
Then you'd bitch that "thoughts and prayers" aren't enough.

If he gave the standard response, I honestly would not care because the more scripted that the joker is the better.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2017, 04:05:39 PM »

You'd be moaning and groaning if he didn't say anything too. Seriously some people on this place, I feel bad for their mental situation after a year of constant hatred of a person.

Believe me, his silence would have solicited nothing but applause from me. When he doesn't comment, the country is better off.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2017, 04:07:14 PM »

This is the only warning you get, Keep it on topic and civil.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2017, 04:09:03 PM »

You'd be moaning and groaning if he didn't say anything too. Seriously some people on this place, I feel bad for their mental situation after a year of constant hatred of a person.

Believe me, his silence would have solicited nothing but applause from me. When he doesn't comment, the country is better off.
God, you seriously have a deep hatred for him, it's not healthy. I literally feel we are living in the apocalypse these days, how angry is our God?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2017, 04:10:08 PM »

Everyone say their standard thoughts and prayers line cuz we can't do anything about it anyway and lock the thread

I'll just give thoughts. Clearly for 27 people in a church on Sunday morning, prayers don't do s**t.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2017, 04:14:00 PM »

God, you seriously have a deep hatred for him, it's not healthy. I literally feel we are living in the apocalypse these days, how angry is our God?

I don't care for him or his terrible leadership or character. I'll leave it at that so that the thread will not be derailed.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2017, 04:17:34 PM »

Very sad.  It's a hate crime.  We need a national reawakening of decency and love for thy neighbor.  The core is rotten.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 04:20:56 PM »

Very sad.  It's a hate crime.  We need a national reawakening of decency and love for thy neighbor.  The core is rotten.

Easier than that: Just take all the guns.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2017, 04:23:12 PM »

I know this is a hot take but I honestly feel this way: When I find out someone owns a gun, after everything that's happened over the years, I cannot help but hate them.

Then hate me all you want. I can promise you no one cares one bit that someone from an obscure Internet forum hates them.

I say this from the bottom of my heart: I hope you are mentally well and are not a danger to yourself or anyone else.

Same to you.

Well the nice thing is if I ever snap and feel compelled to murder 3% of my town in the span of 10 minutes, I don't have the means to do it.

Do you own a vehicle?? The recent attacks in New York and across Europe shows how dangerous they can be.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2017, 04:24:36 PM »

I know this is a hot take but I honestly feel this way: When I find out someone owns a gun, after everything that's happened over the years, I cannot help but hate them.

Then hate me all you want. I can promise you no one cares one bit that someone from an obscure Internet forum hates them.

I say this from the bottom of my heart: I hope you are mentally well and are not a danger to yourself or anyone else.

Same to you.

Well the nice thing is if I ever snap and feel compelled to murder 3% of my town in the span of 10 minutes, I don't have the means to do it.

Do you own a vehicle?? The recent attacks in New York and across Europe shows how dangerous they can be.

Easier than that: Just take all the guns.

Explain to me how you’ll accomplish that. Please
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2017, 04:28:54 PM »

A vehicle can be used as a weapon, but it usually can't take out as many people as quickly as a gun can. With that said vehicles are licensed, insured and tagged, whereas guns are far less regulated. It's not a great comparison.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2017, 04:43:38 PM »

A vehicle can be used as a weapon, but it usually can't take out as many people as quickly as a gun can. With that said vehicles are licensed, insured and tagged, whereas guns are far less regulated. It's not a great comparison.
86 dead in Nice from a truck. Try harder.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2017, 04:47:38 PM »

Most people don't drive or have access to a semitruck.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2017, 04:47:45 PM »

I wonder if the shooter is someone who attended the church or held a grievance against someone there.  Very sad either way.  Thank you first responders!
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2017, 04:47:57 PM »

I don't care for him or his terrible leadership or character. I'll leave it at that so that the thread will not be derailed.

FWIW, 72% of the folks in Wilson County, TX, where Sutherland Springs is located, voted for Donald Trump.  This is 2017, an era of instant communication and nearly instant details.  These folks expect Trump to make a statement on their situation, and that's really not an extraordinary expectation in this day and age.  Trump's statement may inflame folks here, but it may be positive to the folks in Sutherland Springs, TX.

I don't know how many folks at that church came armed.  I do believe that there are gun owners at that church who survived the shooting who left their guns home that wonder if they could have saved lives if they came armed.  I'm a gun owner, and I haven't brought my gun to church to date, but if this happened and I were not carrying my gun to church, I'd wonder if it would have made a difference.

I will also say this:  We had a potentially deadly situation at my church 10 years ago.  While people were in the church, at a time where folks knew church would be open and people present, a distraught individual drove his truck right through the main entrance toward the sanctuary.  Had there been folks in the foyer and lobby, there would have been casualties; he was driving rather fast, and his truck was a full-size vehicle.  This was unexpected and unprovoked.  The man turned out to be mentally ill and was deteriorating as his marital and family situation was going down the tubes, but he had the capacity to kill.  And without a gun.

I believe that the right of citizens to keep and bear arms is as fundamental as the right to free speech and a free press.  As such, I believe that an enumerated Constitutional right is something that applies ESPECIALLY in extraordinary situations.  I will also note, respectfully but definitely, that many folks here who advocate that this right be rescinded because of actions such as this are closed-minded to any sort of travel ban, regardless of events in Orlando, San Bernadino, et al.  And, in this case, I suspect that the folks of Sutherland Springs, TX agree with me.  That they may have experienced tragedy and agree with the position I have espoused doesn't automatically make them right, but I wonder if the folks here who hate gun owners might want to ponder what the sincere views of these ordinary people might be.  
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »

WHERE IN MY POST DID I SAY THAT NO ONE WAS EVER KILLED WITH A VEHICLE? The word USUALLY is the operative word. There are far more mass shootings than there are mass vehicle attacks.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2017, 05:00:49 PM »

I wonder if the shooter is someone who attended the church or held a grievance against someone there.  Very sad either way.  Thank you first responders!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2017, 05:07:11 PM »

Most people don't drive or have access to a semitruck.

And you can use a truck for many different tasks whereas a gun can can only be used for WE'VE HAD THIS ARGUMENT EVERY SINGLE TIME.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2017, 05:11:58 PM »

MSNBC interviewees are being asked the important question: Is now the time for stricter...security at church entrances.

I don't know how someone can at any time feel happy in this country.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2017, 05:14:20 PM »

As always, it'll be too inappropriate to talk about gun control. The GOP is complicit and their inaction and worship of the gun lobby is going to get more people killed.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2017, 05:15:32 PM »

MSNBC interviewees are being asked the important question: Is now the time for stricter...security at church entrances.

Coming soon to a Church near you!
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2017, 05:17:48 PM »

The local congressman just repeatedly said on CNN that "Sam Hyde" is the gunman.

He's not.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/sam-hyde
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2017, 05:19:37 PM »

Dude just chill and say your thoughts and prayers that it never happens to you or your family or friends

I feel like THAT is the insane response, just moving on and hoping for the best. My panicking, helpless sad rage makes more sense and feels much better thank you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies