New Zealand Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:56:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Zealand Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: New Zealand Elections  (Read 7809 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2005, 06:35:34 PM »

How come Maoris get a separate list and separate constituencies? In Canada First Nations people are given special treatment (which is appropriate) but their votes aren't more equal than the rest of the countries'.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2005, 06:41:50 PM »

New Zealand is a fairly f'ed up nation politically. Certainly a Scandanavian style hell hole with less hot women.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2005, 07:07:21 PM »

Jake, you're always saying i'm clueless, but at least I'm trying to learn about US politics rather then just jumping in and saying stupid, incorrect things all the time. If you want to know about Kiwi politics, i'm sure people would be willing to teach you, but you know sh**t-all as is.
Polkergeist

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2005, 07:53:44 PM »

How come Maoris get a separate list and separate constituencies? In Canada First Nations people are given special treatment (which is appropriate) but their votes aren't more equal than the rest of the countries'.

This might help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%81ori_seats

In NZ their are two electoral rolls:

The general roll for all other seats and a Maori roll for Maoris which is for the maori seats.

If a maori enrolls on a maori roll then they can't vote for a general seat. As such Maori's cant vote for two seats.

Furthermore Maori seats have the about the same number of voters the general seats.

So a Maoris don't have an increased value in their vote of can vote in two electorates.

PADem

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2005, 08:56:22 PM »

In New Zealand Tauranga is nicknamed 'Gods Waiting Room' because it has so many old & retired people.

Ah... like Eastbourne over here... (and exactly the same nickname is used...)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Any other upsets?

Yes. Labours sole Farmer/Rural MP, Jim Sutton lost Aoraki (a vast rural electorate)

Cabinet Minister Rick Barker lost Tukituki (also Rural)

and Deputy Speaker Ann Hartley lost Northcote (allthough Northcote is a swing seat and always has been and not such an upset)
PADem

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2005, 08:57:15 PM »

New Zealand is a fairly f'ed up nation politically. Certainly a Scandanavian style hell hole with less hot women.

You've gotta be kidding.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2005, 10:09:22 PM »

Jake, you're always saying i'm clueless, but at least I'm trying to learn about US politics rather then just jumping in and saying stupid, incorrect things all the time. If you want to know about Kiwi politics, i'm sure people would be willing to teach you, but you know sh**t-all as is.

A nation gives their versions of Indians designated seats in Congress, ban all fire arms, don't even have police carry them, and elect shemales to Parliament. Yeah, at least Australia lends some manner of sanity to the area as we can hope that people like you are in a minority down there, mate.
PADem

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2005, 10:11:25 PM »

A nation gives their versions of Indians designated seats in Congress, ban all fire arms, don't even have police carry them, and elect shemales to Parliament. Yeah, at least Australia lends some manner of sanity to the area as we can hope that people like you are in a minority down there, mate.

1) Firearms aren't banned. And they are relatively easy to get, but very few people have them.

2) There is a Squad called Armed Offenders in every region (similar to SWAT) for the rare armed incidents that arise

3) Yes a transsexual was elected to parliament. Emphasis on ELECTED... Who cares.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2005, 10:25:29 PM »

Well, most majority-first nations seats have signifigantly lower populations than average ridings in Canada.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2005, 10:42:13 PM »

I'm glad we at least have the hot women, although they probably would find your chauvinistic, intolerant additude rather unlovable.
A most important part of a functioning democracy is respecting and accepting the opposite - not nessesary enjoying or liking it, but acknowledge that some people have a way of life and a view on the world that is completly different from your own
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2005, 11:04:51 PM »

How is respect fundamental to democracy exactly? I would wager that the most important part of democracy is having leaders accountable to the people.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2005, 11:39:11 PM »

How is respect fundamental to democracy exactly? I would wager that the most important part of democracy is having leaders accountable to the people.
Respect for the opposite, meaning that the part in power will not use its power to dictate its policy upon a minority. It is a vital part of democracy to understand that gaining 50,1% of the votes does not give you carte blanche to do whatever you what to the minority. It is one of the major problems in most younger democracies -  lack of respect for the opposite
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2005, 03:17:35 AM »

Jens, I'll say it before the americans do. Unlike New Zealand, Australia, Denmark, etc; America is not a Liberal Democracy; in fact, it's isn't a Democracy at all. It's a Republic, and that's it's biggest problem Cheesy
Jens
Angola

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2005, 05:44:11 AM »

Jens, I'll say it before the americans do. Unlike New Zealand, Australia, Denmark, etc; America is not a Liberal Democracy; in fact, it's isn't a Democracy at all. It's a Republic, and that's it's biggest problem Cheesy
Oho, look out or the big bad CARLHAYDEN is coming to tell you in a nice and polite way that you are a giant @@s, is stupid, ignorant and will never understand anything Wink
mr_president
Rookie

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2005, 10:17:14 AM »

Labour didn’t win a majority of seats. So therefore whom do they form a coalition with and whom did they previously hold government with?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2005, 07:05:04 PM »

they held government with the greens the term before last, I know; I'd expect that'd be their first port of call, along with NZ first.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2005, 11:07:57 PM »

Well at least there will be one left-wing government down under Smiley

Why are republic's bad? Is it the electoral college? B/c I hate that system but it does serve a purpose. They teach us so little about other countries political systems that I don't really know much about the alternatives. (We learned nothing at all in public schoo about theml and only 1 class in college b/c I was a Political Science Major). That shows you how much the US is connected w/ the rest of the world.

Seriously Jake, just try to make your point w/o being so insulting.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2005, 03:03:29 AM »

for me, it's putting all that power in one man, and then not having them directly answerable to parliament/congress. Unlike in America, in AUS and NZ, each minister, inc. the PM, come from Parliament, and must face it very very often. They're held more accountable, I think. In the US, there isn't a clear alternative to Bush; in NZ you have Brash; in AUS Beazley.
PADem

« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2005, 03:22:08 AM »

they held government with the greens the term before last, I know; I'd expect that'd be their first port of call, along with NZ first.

Well they weren't in a formal coalition, it was just the greens supported them on supply and demand.

Peter Dunne the leader of united is likely to be more appealing to Labour than NZ First. However Dunne will not support the government if the Greens are in Cabinet, so it will likely be Labour + Anderton with Maori Party, United Future and Greens supporting on confidence and supply.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies