New Zealand Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:05:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Zealand Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: New Zealand Elections  (Read 7811 times)
PADem

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2005, 08:34:26 PM »
« edited: August 28, 2005, 08:37:19 PM by PADem »

For those who are interested I've made a little guide to the parties contesting the election (September 17th).

Labour Party

New Zealand's current governing party, led by Helen Clark. A broadly Center-Left party, that has its roots in the Trade Union movement. Roughly similar to the Australian and British Labour Parties, and economically somewhat similar to the Democrats in the U.S and the SPD in Germany.

Socially Liberal, has the worlds first transexual M.P as a senior caucus member, and two openly gay cabinet ministers. Has passed contentious liberal legislation including the Prostitution Reform Act (decriminalising prostitution and offering a degree of protection to them) and the Civil Union Bill, allowing Gay and Lesbian couples the same rights as married couples, minus adoption rights.

Seen as the party of students (is offering to write-off interest on Student Loans), the poor and lower-middle class.

National

A Center-Right party, that economically is similar to the Republican Party/Bush Administration. Socially is not as far right as the Republicans, or in fact Australia's governing Coalition, but is comparable to Germany's CDU and some elements of the British Conservative Party. Seen as more pro-buisness than Labour, and wants to offer broad tax cuts (including to the highest earners which labour does not). Supportive of the United States defense policy & Iraq war. Would  purchase strike aircraft for the Air Force, and would likely eventually rescind New Zealand's nuclear ban and restore ANZUS ties. Led by the former Reserve Bank Governor (like Greenspan here in the U.S).

A.C.T

As far as I know the worlds only libertarian party with elected members at a national level, ACT is by far the most business friendly party. They are for a low, flat tax and a large slashing of the companies tax rate. Socially they are broad, some MP's are liberal leaning but most are on par with National or to the right.
ACT does not hold any electorate seats so must gain 5% to stay in parliament, which on current polling would not be likely. National has indicated ACT would be their most likely Coalition partner.

The Greens

Typical Green Party. Broadly left wing, more so than labour. As usual Environmental causes are high on their agenda, but social liberalism is at the for (they are very pro-choice, pro-gay rights etc). The Greens are known for calling for the decriminalisation of Marijuana. Seen as Labours most likely coalition ally. Will pick up 5-10 seats

New Zealand First

Neo-conservative / Nationalist type party that proposes huge increases in Law & Order and military spending. Vehemently campagining against immigration, and very critical of Muslim elements within New Zealand. Will pick up 5-10 seats. More likely aligned with National in any coalition.

United Future

Basically a centrist former Labour M.P, who the party relies upon for their continued survival as he holds a rock solid majority on his electorate, and a boatload of fundamentalist christians. Expected to gain anywhere from 1 (the leader) - 6 seats depending on performance. Right-wing in general, but has worked well with Labour on several issues.

The Maori Party

Led by a former Maori Labour M.P, who holds her electorate seat. Because of this they will likely pick up up to 6 seats including the 4 other seats reserved specifically for Maori. Very Pro-Maori and populist (obviously) and somewhat left of Labour economically. Would be a possibly coalition partner with Labour, but would the their last option

Destiny New Zealand

Fundamentalist Christians. New Zealanders don't take well to evangelicals, so the party is considered a joke by most, and their signs are apparently being stolen, destroyed around the country. They don't stand a snowflakes chance in hell of getting into parliament.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 09:07:22 PM »

A.C.T. is not the only Libertarian party in the world to hold seats. In Costa Rica the Movementario Libertario currently holds 8 seats, IIRC, in the parliament. If you expand the definition of Libertarian to include parties that label themselves liberal but would be libertarian by using the American definition of the word you have Venestre in Denmark, the People's Party for Freedom and Democracy in the Netherlands, and the Free Democratic Party's of both Switzerland and Germany all of which hold seats, and in the case of Venestre is a major party that is currently heading the government.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 10:05:38 AM »

A.C.T. is not the only Libertarian party in the world to hold seats. In Costa Rica the Movementario Libertario currently holds 8 seats, IIRC, in the parliament. If you expand the definition of Libertarian to include parties that label themselves liberal but would be libertarian by using the American definition of the word you have Venestre in Denmark, the People's Party for Freedom and Democracy in the Netherlands, and the Free Democratic Party's of both Switzerland and Germany all of which hold seats, and in the case of Venestre is a major party that is currently heading the government.
Pstt, it's Venstre (Left), the other sound more like a French window Wink And I'm pretty sure that no US libetarian would like the current politics of the Danish government
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 03:20:59 PM »

Pstt, it's Venstre (Left), the other sound more like a French window Wink And I'm pretty sure that no US libetarian would like the current politics of the Danish government

Thanks Jens for correcting my two screw ups. First hand knowledge is alot better than my secondhand/Wikipedia knowledge. Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 03:25:07 PM »

Ireland's Progressive Democrats should be mentioned in this context, I guess.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 08:29:43 PM »

Knew I forgot someone.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 11:33:58 PM »

any polls?
PADem

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 11:43:04 PM »

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/feature/index.cfm?c_id=1500936

There's a bunch at the above link.

It's pretty close and could go either way, but most polls have a Labour-Green coalition with a razor thin majority looking likely.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 02:06:34 AM »

Labour will win, with greens support and possibly a couple of other seatsneeded, perhaps provided by the Maoris?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 04:23:34 AM »

Like most Irish parties, the PDs can't be pinned down neatly, certainly on the right in economic terms though they were also responsible for the introduction of the minimum wage, have stood by free university education, support the social partnership process...
On the social scale, they are even tougher to pin down as the party was founded on the principles of economic liberalism primarily and so other principles are less well defined. Michael McDowell, party chairman and current Minister for Justice, for example, would widely be perceived as authoritarian, though other parliamentary members such as Liz O'Donnell and Fiona O'Malley would be seen as fairly libertarian on social issues.
PADem

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 05:42:21 PM »

Labour will win, with greens support and possibly a couple of other seatsneeded, perhaps provided by the Maoris?

Possibly so. The Maori party are on track to win 3 (perhaps 4) of the seats reserved specifically for Maori, so will have a presence in parliament, and create an overhang as well.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 06:23:26 AM »

When the three biggest issues in the campaign are tax cuts, maori rights and...Australia...you know that the country doesnt matter much Wink

I love the fact Australia is a megasuperpower in the South Pacific Cheesy
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 12:32:56 PM »

Well, NZ is a tiny country. Its population (between 3.5 and 4 mln people) is roughly on par with that of Lithuania and about three times smaller than Guatemala.  And of that small population about 10 percent (over 300,000) live in Australia. Australia (20 mln) is their giant superpower neighbor, no joking!

A nice country, though, apparently.
PADem

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 07:36:41 PM »

When the three biggest issues in the campaign are tax cuts, maori rights and...Australia...you know that the country doesnt matter much Wink

Lol. Australia a campaign issue! That'll be the day!
PADem

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 08:11:55 PM »

And I know you Victorians watch some weird sports (i.e not Rugby), but I'm sure you heard how the game went. Go the All Blacks!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2005, 10:40:35 PM »

you won? Oh well. I dont really give a sh**t. I vaguely hope we keep the ashes though.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2005, 12:15:27 AM »

I'd like to know who the world's first trans-sexual MP is.

I often gawk at how Kiwis think that they are progressive in terms of gay rights, when they wont even let them adopt. Silly kiwis. Even if public support is not in favour of gay marriages, it wouldn't really matter in a country like New Zealand, as once they are legal, public support will quickly change. That's what happened here.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2005, 12:17:42 AM »

Whoever it is, they should be barred from serving in government. We don't need children seeing that type of crap in government.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2005, 12:32:00 AM »

Whoever it is, they should be barred from serving in government. We don't need children seeing that type of crap in government.

Roll Eyes Oh would somebody please think of the children. Quit your whining Jake, NZ is a democracy- if they want to elect a transvestite- that's their own perogative.
PADem

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2005, 01:54:00 AM »
« Edited: September 04, 2005, 02:01:46 AM by PADem »

I'd like to know who the world's first trans-sexual MP is.

I often gawk at how Kiwis think that they are progressive in terms of gay rights, when they wont even let them adopt. Silly kiwis. Even if public support is not in favour of gay marriages, it wouldn't really matter in a country like New Zealand, as once they are legal, public support will quickly change. That's what happened here.

Her name is Georgina Beyer. She was the Mayor of Wairarapa (small town of ~25000), and was elected (from a constituency) with a solid majority. She's now a list candidate. As for adoption, I agree, but I think the government wanted to take it one step at a time. I doubt the bill would have passed (Civil Unions that is) had adoption been part of it.

I think in terms of these kind of issues in New Zealand, its not that New Zealand is particularly liberal or conservative, its more that Kiwi's are a nation of 'not carers'

For example,

Nobody cares about Abortion (it's almost never debated)
Nobody cares about Gay Marriage (except some random Christians, and most people support it just to annoy them)
Nobody cares about Gun Control (nobody needs guns anyway - police are unarmed)

PADem

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2005, 01:55:51 AM »

I've actually met her and despite my disapproval of that sort of thing she is apparently a very effective M.P. If she has been voted in, and isn't a criminal or something then why not. Your post above is akin to racism. Have you become a skinhead or something?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2005, 02:02:48 AM »

Racism? How is transsexualism a race? I don't want disgusting things like that in public office where they can spout their trash about that being normal.
PADem

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2005, 02:04:57 AM »

Racism? How is transsexualism a race? I don't want disgusting things like that in public office where they can spout their trash about that being normal.

I said 'akin to racism'. That means like, or similar to. Furthermore, she doesn't make any statements on the topic of transexualism.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2005, 02:25:17 AM »

The very fact that "she" is in Parliament and "her" status is known to the public is bad enough. Making speeches on it would be far worse.
PADem

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2005, 02:45:28 AM »

The very fact that "she" is in Parliament and "her" status is known to the public is bad enough. Making speeches on it would be far worse.

Why? Whats wrong with diversity in legislatures?

Do I disagree with the choices she's made? Certainly

But do I think she should be excluded from the political process for them? Never, and I would consider that a gross perversion of democracy.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies