Another Possible LOA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:33:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Another Possible LOA
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Another Possible LOA  (Read 1053 times)
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2005, 07:20:21 PM »

Hey everyone Smiley

I'm headed over to New Orleans for Hurricane Katrina.  I just couldn't get enough. Wink

In all seriousness, I'm going over there to help with disaster relief.  I'll have internet access pretty much the whole time.  My laptop will be here.  I won't have much to do tomorrow.  However, it is possible that when it hits, I might not be able to be on.

Just letting you all know.

Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 07:35:43 PM »

Going to New Orleans to help with hurricane relief while running for President... what a politician! Wink

Be safe. Smiley
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 07:46:08 PM »

Going to New Orleans to help with hurricane relief while running for President... what a politician! Wink

Be safe. Smiley

Actually I'm not running for President.  Thanks for the well wishes though. Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 07:51:14 PM »

Be safe. Smiley

Actually I'm not running for President.  Thanks for the well wishes though. Smiley

Still, what a politician! Wink
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 10:46:43 AM »

Well I'm in Baton Rouge now. We probably should have gone a little further as we will still get some bad weather, but we should be ok. I'm not sure what will be left after the storm hits. It's a category 5 and will be pretty bad.

Ben, at least wait until Tuesday or Wednesday to come down here.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 11:01:35 AM »

Bye Ben!! Stay safe!! Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 01:28:41 PM »

Well I'm in Baton Rouge now. We probably should have gone a little further as we will still get some bad weather, but we should be ok. I'm not sure what will be left after the storm hits. It's a category 5 and will be pretty bad.

Ben, at least wait until Tuesday or Wednesday to come down here.

Baton Rouge will NOT NOT be far enough!!! Seriously dude...leave and go farther west!!
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 01:48:38 PM »

You may be right, but it's too late now. BR has enacted a 7pm curfew. My parents are stuck in traffic between BR and NO.

Several newsstations just showed people surfing or riding wave-runners in the Gulf of Mexico.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 01:54:45 PM »

Hey everyone.  I'm in Oak Hills Place, in East Baton Rouge.  I'll be here for today and tomorrow, and maybe after.  I'm not sure what it will bring.  I'll be inside for all this time.  Not sure about the access.  I certainly hope everything'll be alright.  I'm sure it will be.  I'll be helping with the disaster relief after the storm.  That will be the main time I'll be away.  As for now, I should be here, even during the storm, unless I'm in the safe room.  Thank you all for your well wishes. Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 01:56:29 PM »

You may be right, but it's too late now. BR has enacted a 7pm curfew. My parents are stuck in traffic between BR and NO.

Several newsstations just showed people surfing or riding wave-runners in the Gulf of Mexico.

Please Brandon, if you stay in a hotel please go into a bathroom, shut the door and stay very close to the bathtub. I'm sure you may know this but I believe B. Rouge is going to get Cat 4 winds. Please be safe and may God be with you and Ben.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 02:06:46 PM »

Well, this certainly is a tragedy for New Orelans. Thankfully, the cold water along the coastline will most probably slow down the hurricane to a Category 4 (not that this is much better). Nonetheless, be safe!

On a related note, as I'm currently (still) on vacation in northeastern Florida, loss of power might render me unable to post for a few days. (Well, hurricane force winds aren't expected to extend this far, but loss of power is still possible.) Just to let you know in case I'm absent for a little while...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 02:09:14 PM »

Well, this certainly is a tragedy for New Orelans. Thankfully, the cold water along the coastline will most probably slow down the hurricane to a Category 4 (not that this is much better). Nonetheless, be safe!

On a related note, as I'm currently (still) on vacation in northeastern Florida, loss of power might render me unable to post for a few days. (Well, hurricane force winds aren't expected to extend this far, but loss of power is still possible.) Just to let you know in case I'm absent for a little while...

As far as I know and have heard the water temps right off the coast are 90-91 degrees they have been pretty constant in saying it will land with 160 MPH winds.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 02:12:55 PM »

Here is the current water temps.

Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2005, 02:23:50 PM »

As far as I know and have heard the water temps right off the coast are 90-91 degrees they have been pretty constant in saying it will land with 160 MPH winds.
I heard 145 mph, but your information is probably more up-to-date.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2005, 02:26:11 PM »

Currently its between 175-180 mph with gusts to 215mph at 902mb. One of the worst storms in Atlantic History.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2005, 02:31:54 PM »

Currently its between 175-180 mph with gusts to 215mph at 902mb. One of the worst storms in Atlantic History.
So I hear. I believe that it will be the most powerful storm to hit the U.S. in recorded history.

Is it true that the Mayor of New Orleans has ordered private vehicles seized to help evacuate those who remain in the city?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2005, 02:38:36 PM »

So I hear. I believe that it will be the most powerful storm to hit the U.S. in recorded history.

Is it true that the Mayor of New Orleans has ordered private vehicles seized to help evacuate those who remain in the city?

Yes.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005, 05:31:45 PM »

And watercraft as well, if needed. I can't really blame them to be honest either.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »

Winds were 175 but came down to 165. Probably the best news we have gotten at all, and even then, at that speed, 10 mph means very little.

Water is warm off the coast line.

Ben, just curious how far you are from me. I am off of College Drive which is exit 158 off of I-10.

Also, something else strange. New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin waited until today to declare a mandatory evacuation. The reason: People have filed lawsuits in the past when a mandatory evacution was issued last year when it turned out to be a false alarm.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2005, 06:14:21 PM »

Winds were 175 but came down to 165. Probably the best news we have gotten at all, and even then, at that speed, 10 mph means very little.

Water is warm off the coast line.

Ben, just curious how far you are from me. I am off of College Drive which is exit 158 off of I-10.

Also, something else strange. New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin waited until today to declare a mandatory evacuation. The reason: People have filed lawsuits in the past when a mandatory evacution was issued last year when it turned out to be a false alarm.

Not sure about the street, but I'm in the East Baton Rouge Parish, in the area called Oak Hills Place.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2005, 06:46:42 PM »

I found several Oaks Hills Places. I found one near the Mall of Louisiana and another near a hospital. Between 5 and 10 miles from where I am.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2005, 09:16:10 PM »

Having rode through a Category 3 hurricane before, I have no desire to want to even try and ride out a Category 5 hurricane ever.  Smiley

Wish y'all the best of luck out there.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies