Utah
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:38:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Utah
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would win Utah?
Trump
Warren
McMullin
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Utah  (Read 696 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2017, 05:43:49 PM »
« edited: October 28, 2017, 05:48:53 PM by Ἅιδης »

In the other thread, which was about a 1-on-1 face-off between Trump and Warren, you almost  unanimously said that the former would win.
But what if McMullin runs again? Would he wangle enough votes off Trump to guarantee a win for Warren? Or would he himself even win?
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 05:44:42 PM »

Thanks for that mental image.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 05:48:01 PM »

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »

I voted for McMullin because I think he'd narrowly win it if the election were held today, but Trump will keep it in his column three years from now.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 05:54:53 PM »

If anything, Warren would be even less popular than Clinton in Utah (considering the overwhelming conservatism of the state), and unless Trump does anything to further offend Mormons, he's not going to do any worse there. He'd carry the state by a large margin.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 05:55:18 PM »

I voted for McMullin because I think he'd narrowly win it if the election were held today, but Trump will keep it in his column three years from now.

This.  If Trump is making it to 2020, he'll keep it.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 05:59:39 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2017, 06:04:14 PM by Senator Scott, PPT🍂 »

This.  If Trump is making it to 2020, he'll keep it.

I should add that a Romney third-party candidacy would virtually guarantee the presence of three colors on the next electoral map, but he'd never do it and even the GOP establishment wouldn't like Mitt splitting the national vote, because then we'd be looking at a D landslide.

Somehow I don't think a 1912 redux is in store. Tongue
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 06:09:43 PM »

McMullen.

Utah Democrats will get the hint and not waste their votes on the Democratic nominee, no matter who the Democratic nominee would be. (I would so vote in Utah, and I am a very partisan Democrat).  Trump would still hemorrhage away enough votes in Utah that he could lose 40-36-20 with 4% going Green, Constitution, Libertarian, etc.

Offend Mormon sensibilities and you can lose in Utah even if you are a right-wing Republican. Besides, my family values are far closer to Mormonism than they are to the sheer wickedness of President Trump, basically a syncresis of Ayn Rand and Hugh Hefner.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 08:13:52 PM »

If anything, Warren would be even less popular than Clinton in Utah (considering the overwhelming conservatism of the state), and unless Trump does anything to further offend Mormons, he's not going to do any worse there. He'd carry the state by a large margin.

And yet Obama exceeded 30% in 2008, this was something that not even Christ-Is-Lord, Good 'ol Boy Carter could pull off. In fact no one since LBJ pulled a 9 point win got so far. And yet for some silly reason, Obama's supposedly more liberal than either of them.

Also, it should be noted that Hillary had Bill dragging her down, whereas Warren lacks that stigma, and Utah lurves them some intellectuals. The East Coast Elitist argument doesn't pull in the same way it would in somewhere like Wyoming or Iowa.

Of course Trump'll win it, probably by high 30's though rather than mid 40's.
Hydera

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 08:40:31 PM »

And yet Obama exceeded 30% in 2008, this was something that not even Christ-Is-Lord, Good 'ol Boy Carter could pull off. In fact no one since LBJ pulled a 9 point win got so far. And yet for some silly reason, Obama's supposedly more liberal than either of them.

Also, it should be noted that Hillary had Bill dragging her down, whereas Warren lacks that stigma, and Utah lurves them some intellectuals. The East Coast Elitist argument doesn't pull in the same way it would in somewhere like Wyoming or Iowa.

Of course Trump'll win it, probably by high 30's though rather than mid 40's.

Obama was a black president which made many mormons think about voting for him(although most didnt) considering how the mormons read a lot about their own history of being made to leave the midwest to Utah.

Utah is less white and less mormon than it was in 1976.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 05:46:47 PM »

If Hillary couldn't win Utah in 2016, no Dem is winning it in 2020.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies