Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 09:58:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 74
Author Topic: Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes  (Read 142699 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: August 21, 2018, 06:40:46 PM »

All country music recorded after 1990 is crap.

Good country artists post-1990: Turnpike Troubadours, Lucero, early Neko Case, Margo Price, Old 97s, Jason Isbell, Whiskeytown, Lucinda Williams, Drive By Truckers

(by far not an exhaustive list)

Old Crow Medicine Show, Kacey Musgraves.  Not exclusively post-1990 but Steve Earle, Gillian Welch, Maria McKee, Kelly Willis, Dwight Yokam, BR-549...
OCMS is more folk/bluegrass than country. Someone who likes bro-country isn't going to like Gillian Welch or OCMS. You certainly never see young people at a bluegrass festival unless they're me or in the band.

Maren Morris is also very good.  Not sure if they were before or after 1990, but I also like The Mavericks.  For Canadian country music, Charlie Major was big for awhile, not sure what happened to him, and there's presently Corb Lund and the Hurtin' Albertans.

Of course, there was plenty of crap recorded before 1990 too as Outlaw country and the Bakersfield sound  were partly a rebellion against the Nashville Countrypolitan sound.  Can't be alt without the mainstream to be alt against.

There's also be a odd symbiosis between some 80s punkers and alt-country as Excene Cervenka and John Doe went from X to country careers.  Same with Jon Langford coming out of the Mekons.  Bloodshot Records, an indie label  out of Chicago of all places, has a long rich history of nurturing such acts (though they do other genres too). 

Hank William Sr. and Hank III (who goes from country to metal quite frequently) are great while Hank Jr. is basically state fair crap.

Smilio's favorite, Sturgill Simpson is kind of a cosmic genre all to himself.

Steve Martin and his band are quite good.  Steve obviously worked hard to be quite capable and surrounded himself with talent so that he doesn't have to overreach.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1201 on: August 21, 2018, 06:47:45 PM »

Several decades from now, there will be a future generation that hates the "Millennials" in a similar manner/degree that "Millennials" hate the "Baby boomers".

This is truism that goes back to Greek times or even earlier.  Probably half of the hieroglyphics and cave art are really just bitchin' about a previous generation or vice versa.  The other half being about extolling their own virtue.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1202 on: August 21, 2018, 07:10:50 PM »

Not only is it incorrect to say that "people always get the government they deserve", it is also hateful.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1203 on: August 21, 2018, 11:33:32 PM »

Good country artists post-1990: Turnpike Troubadours, Lucero, early Neko Case, Margo Price, Old 97s, Jason Isbell, Whiskeytown, Lucinda Williams, Drive By Truckers

None of this is an unpopular opinion

I didn't say they were unpopular, I was just countering the post saying that there wasn't any good country music post 1990. Context clues, bro.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1204 on: August 22, 2018, 12:49:21 AM »

Old Crow Medicine Show, Kacey Musgraves.  Not exclusively post-1990 but Steve Earle, Gillian Welch, Maria McKee, Kelly Willis, Dwight Yokam, BR-549...
OCMS is more folk/bluegrass than country. Someone who likes bro-country isn't going to like Gillian Welch or OCMS. You certainly never see young people at a bluegrass festival unless they're me or in the band.

Maren Morris is also very good.  Not sure if they were before or after 1990, but I also like The Mavericks.  For Canadian country music, Charlie Major was big for awhile, not sure what happened to him, and there's presently Corb Lund and the Hurtin' Albertans.

If you want to combine Canada and Bluegrass, the Dead South are pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pq9QDLoTNI

OK, I'm probably done
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1205 on: August 22, 2018, 09:15:43 AM »

Several decades from now, there will be a future generation that hates the "Millennials" in a similar manner/degree that "Millennials" hate the "Baby boomers".

Well duh. We will all become the Boomers we Loved to Hate, just as Gen X did.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #1206 on: August 22, 2018, 01:23:50 PM »

Wow! Republican enthusiasm gap!

RIP Wisconsin Dems. Vukmir will energise the WOW suburbs and pull an upset in this Badger Red Wave.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1207 on: August 22, 2018, 06:55:02 PM »

This is only unpopular with a certain segment but...

The mods are waaaayyy too easy on problem posts and posters. Too many racist posts, and personal attacks are left untouched even when reported. Repeat offenders might get infracted but it takes forever for them to even get a temp ban.

I'm not sure how you square this view with your view that social media companies are practicing defacto censorship with removing conservatives given that the concern you present to the moderators here is pretty much what the social media companies are targeting. 

If Atlas had the user base of Facebook or Twitter, it would be different. Size matters.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1208 on: August 23, 2018, 10:03:23 AM »

I don't know how popular or unpopular this is but... I only have 1 person on ignore.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1209 on: August 23, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »

I don't know how popular or unpopular this is but... I only have 1 person on ignore.

You can't just say that without telling us who it is.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1210 on: August 23, 2018, 02:40:24 PM »

Being a workaholic (i.e. never being able to stop) is not something to be praised, but a personality disorder that will have serious effects on your family and health without notably increasing your productivity.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1211 on: August 23, 2018, 03:00:39 PM »

Being a workaholic (i.e. never being able to stop) is not something to be praised, but a personality disorder that will have serious effects on your family and health without notably increasing your productivity.

I wish this were more popular of a view, as I completely agree.  It seems to be worse in America than much of Europe, too.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1212 on: August 23, 2018, 03:04:55 PM »

I wish this were more popular of a view, as I completely agree.  It seems to be worse in America than much of Europe, too.

It's common in Anglo-American capitalism, but even worse South Korea and Japan.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1213 on: August 23, 2018, 03:59:29 PM »

Let’s just say they did post on page 50 of this thread.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1214 on: August 23, 2018, 10:20:50 PM »

Let’s just say they did post on page 50 of this thread.

I have somebody on page 50 on ignore too; but I doubt it’s the same person
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1215 on: August 25, 2018, 04:37:13 AM »

I don't like watching TV or movies for the most part
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1216 on: August 25, 2018, 04:31:44 PM »

The idea of having a cat or dog in your house just sounds terrible.  I don't particularly get the appeal of a guinea pig, fish, or something like that, but they are at least contained.  A cat or dog is essentially a wild animal that climbs on you and barks at you when you are trying to relax.  I could never deal with that.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1217 on: August 25, 2018, 05:09:30 PM »

The idea of having a cat or dog in your house just sounds terrible.  I don't particularly get the appeal of a guinea pig, fish, or something like that, but they are at least contained.  A cat or dog is essentially a wild animal that climbs on you and barks at you when you are trying to relax.  I could never deal with that.

You really should reconsider your position on abortion, because if you ever have a baby.....
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1218 on: August 25, 2018, 05:11:49 PM »

I'm a little weary of people declaring "peak Atlas" about everything.  It's like we're in the Himalayans.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1219 on: August 25, 2018, 05:14:01 PM »

You really should reconsider your position on abortion, because if you ever have a baby.....

Completely different (less animal-like, furry, and I won't worry they will eat me)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1220 on: August 25, 2018, 05:16:43 PM »

This is what I was expecting from a psychopath who doesn't mind women dying in childbirth.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1221 on: August 25, 2018, 05:30:54 PM »

Completely different (less animal-like, furry, and I won't worry they will eat me)

You've clearly never handled a baby.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1222 on: August 25, 2018, 06:11:35 PM »

You've clearly never handled a baby.

He clearly doesn't know much about life in general.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1223 on: August 26, 2018, 09:53:41 AM »

I want a Trump of the left. The left is dominated by pussies that are weak and rely on vague social liberal platitudes and never get to the crux of the problem.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1224 on: August 26, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »

I will never ever own a pet of my own. Animals don't excite me enough to go about doing all the tasks necessary to have and take of a pet. If I marry and have children, I'd maybe get a dog, on the condition that all the work required is done by them.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies