Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:03:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 74
Author Topic: Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes  (Read 142375 times)
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: July 27, 2018, 09:24:17 PM »

Here's a take that would get me yelled at by 90% of Democrats: Third parties hurt Republicans more than Democrats. However, the effect of third parties is overstated in the majority of cases, 2016 included.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1076 on: July 27, 2018, 10:17:26 PM »

The only "logic" that can really be used to argue that child support is "good" policy is that it is worthwhile to prevent even an extremely minuscule amount of abortions is worth an enormous level of damage to the social fabric of individual rights and autonomy.

People should not be forced to take parental responsibility roles if they do not want to, which is a viewpoint basically any progressive should be able to agree to.

Child support is something that can suddenly and drastically ruin people lives, and is a cause of countless suicides.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1077 on: July 27, 2018, 10:20:32 PM »

UBI would actually solve most of the problems with child support.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1078 on: July 27, 2018, 10:22:42 PM »

Side note: I have been feeling especially passionate about this subject lately because I am pissed that the Wisconsin Democratic Party is not making moves to expel Cathy Myers from the party.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1079 on: July 27, 2018, 10:37:11 PM »

Side note: I have been feeling especially passionate about this subject lately because I am pissed that the Wisconsin Democratic Party is not making moves to expel Cathy Myers from the party.
Why is "running against a candidate I support" a party-banishable offense?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1080 on: July 27, 2018, 11:00:32 PM »

The only "logic" that can really be used to argue that child support is "good" policy is that it is worthwhile to prevent even an extremely minuscule amount of abortions is worth an enormous level of damage to the social fabric of individual rights and autonomy.

People should not be forced to take parental responsibility roles if they do not want to, which is a viewpoint basically any progressive should be able to agree to.

Child support is something that can suddenly and drastically ruin people lives, and is a cause of countless suicides.

If you think child support ruins lives, try raising kids without adequate funds. If men want to avoid parental responsibility, they should either be celibate or get a vasectomy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1081 on: July 28, 2018, 12:01:28 AM »

If I were Governor of my state, I would pardon anyone convicted under a law that I don't like. I would also openly advertise that fact and tell the people of my state that they would have nothing to fear.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1082 on: July 28, 2018, 01:04:29 AM »

Isn't "social fabric of autonomy" a contradiction in terms? 
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1083 on: July 28, 2018, 09:06:39 AM »

If you think child support ruins lives, try raising kids without adequate funds. If men want to avoid parental responsibility, they should either be celibate or get a vasectomy.

Much simpler and better solution: put the child up for 3rd+4th party adoption.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1084 on: July 28, 2018, 04:38:24 PM »

The euro was a fundamentally flawed idea from the start, and while incredibly convient for consumers, has resulted in sustained economic damage to the second tier economies in the EU, due to their inability to inflate their currency at a rate independent from their neighbours.

Quote from a Spanish time-travel show (El Ministerio del Tiempo):

19th century Spaniard: The was during the Spanish War of Independence.
16th century Spaniard: Spain had to fight for independence? Absurd!
21st century Spaniard: We all serve the European Central Bank today.

Eesh. Harsh but not unfounded. At any given moment it seems like half the EU states are being called upon to raise funds for the next bailout. Don’t get me wrong, I’m disappointed we’re leaving, but there are a lot of aspects of the Union I won’t miss.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #1085 on: July 29, 2018, 12:33:10 PM »

The euro was a fundamentally flawed idea from the start, and while incredibly convient for consumers, has resulted in sustained economic damage to the second tier economies in the EU, due to their inability to inflate their currency at a rate independent from their neighbours.

Eesh. Harsh but not unfounded. At any given moment it seems like half the EU states are being called upon to raise funds for the next bailout. Don’t get me wrong, I’m disappointed we’re leaving, but there are a lot of aspects of the Union I won’t miss.

Y'all need a dual mandate central bank and orthodox Keynesianism. I never understood austerity. It's like trying to start a fire by dumping CO2 all over it.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1086 on: July 29, 2018, 02:26:36 PM »

UBI would actually solve most of the problems with child support.

Would you favor abolishing child support if there were a set amount of money per kid then, or are you suggesting something else?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1087 on: July 29, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »

No, but UBI would make paying child support far easier. Also it means less would be required.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #1088 on: July 29, 2018, 04:00:36 PM »

Y'all need a dual mandate central bank and orthodox Keynesianism. I never understood austerity. It's like trying to start a fire by dumping CO2 all over it.

I'm not entirely sure about that. Sure, most countries were way to eager to slash spending as if the world depended on them getting the deficit to 3% of GDP, but these cuts probably should have happened at a later stage anyway and we all know what happens with political will to make tough choices when the economy is going well. Austerity actually was a good excuse to do some things that should have happened regardless of the economic situation. I'm also not really sure how orthodox Keynesianism would have helped France and Italy, whose main problems always have been hilariously rigid labour markets (and add a criminally outdated law system in Italy's case). Besides, their debt to GDP ratios are in excess of 100% already. I do agree that the EU was too hard on some countries though, I believe they should have focused less on austerity and more on structural reforms.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1089 on: July 29, 2018, 11:25:35 PM »

Gender reveal parties are stupid. I’m against the idea of knowing your child’s gender before birth to begin with but having people over so you can cut into a blue or pink cake or something equally ridiculous is a byproduct of our increasingly narcissistic culture
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1090 on: July 30, 2018, 02:19:58 PM »

Humans were not meant to live as long as they are living today and that is why most marriages eventually sour.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1091 on: July 30, 2018, 02:37:29 PM »

Humans were not meant to live as long as they are living today and that is why most marriages eventually sour.

I’d been having similar thoughts, but not on the marriage end. You have to consider it kind of a cruel joke that reproductive capabilities kick in in the teens, whereas a combination of brain development and our lifespan mean that this is very early to actually have children. Add to thatbyhe fact that we have more resources immediately at our disposal than perhaps ever before, so that, sans certain “corrective procedures” and other profilactics, one would think we might find ourselves in a Malthusian nightmare sceMario.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1092 on: July 30, 2018, 02:48:33 PM »

There are too many people as it is on top of that.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1093 on: July 30, 2018, 02:54:57 PM »

This thread is getting very Thanos.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1094 on: July 30, 2018, 03:22:24 PM »

Let out your inner malthusian!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1095 on: July 30, 2018, 03:38:44 PM »

Anime sucks.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1096 on: July 30, 2018, 03:39:27 PM »

Your ideology says otherwise.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1097 on: July 30, 2018, 03:41:53 PM »

I was gonna say that his was a pretty ironic comment.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #1098 on: July 30, 2018, 05:42:54 PM »

Agricultural settlements were the worst mistake human beings ever made.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1099 on: July 30, 2018, 08:16:19 PM »

I do have the yellow fever, but for real women and not cartoons. Cosplay is also weird to me. My best friend from middle school, who I’ve grown apart from over the years, is really into it but I just think it’s flat out strange.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies