Indictment-O-Rama Megathread: Mueller indicts 13 Russians
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:12:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Indictment-O-Rama Megathread: Mueller indicts 13 Russians
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 82
Author Topic: Indictment-O-Rama Megathread: Mueller indicts 13 Russians  (Read 172363 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: February 02, 2018, 09:40:10 AM »

Mueller’s been DOJ long enough that he probably defers to the OLC opinion that Presidents can’t be indicted
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1526 on: February 02, 2018, 10:58:12 AM »

Mueller’s been DOJ long enough that he probably defers to the OLC opinion that Presidents can’t be indicted

This.

Mueller is going to recommend impeachment and the GOP congress will ignore it and then get blown out in November.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #1527 on: February 02, 2018, 11:04:14 AM »

I'm not hip to the technicalities, but if Mueller suggested impeachment and Congress didn't act, could be attempt an indictment and see how the courts ruled? I'm sure that's not what he would do, but I'm curious if he could attempt it after suggesting impeachment.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1528 on: February 02, 2018, 11:06:22 AM »

It depends very much on what he's turned up.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1529 on: February 02, 2018, 11:41:55 AM »

I'm not hip to the technicalities, but if Mueller suggested impeachment and Congress didn't act, could be attempt an indictment and see how the courts ruled? I'm sure that's not what he would do, but I'm curious if he could attempt it after suggesting impeachment.

The article touched on a similar scenario where Mueller does indict Trump, hoping that this would elevate the significance of charges against the President.

Honestly, we are headed towards a constitutional crisis.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1530 on: February 02, 2018, 11:57:16 AM »

The possibility of what many of us considered the most unlikely event in America as late as last year, a military coup, is becoming significant.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #1531 on: February 02, 2018, 12:03:55 PM »

The possibility of what many of us considered the most unlikely event in America as late as last year, a military coup, is becoming significant.
Huh
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1532 on: February 02, 2018, 12:10:42 PM »

Looks like Rosenstein is toast:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1533 on: February 02, 2018, 12:35:15 PM »

Huh

Unless I misunderstand, he’s suggesting the military step in an remove Trump if collusion is clear if Congress is too partisan/compromised to defend the Constitution itself
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1534 on: February 02, 2018, 12:46:23 PM »

Huh

Unless I misunderstand, he’s suggesting the military step in an remove Trump if collusion is clear if Congress is too partisan/compromised to defend the Constitution itself

I am not advocating it... but Trump's America is beginning to look like a mirror image of Chile under Allende, who was overthrown in a military coup.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1535 on: February 02, 2018, 01:00:56 PM »

Hard to tell if Trump is gearing up to fire Rosenstein, or just being petty.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1536 on: February 02, 2018, 01:03:46 PM »

One can always bet on the second part being the case.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1537 on: February 02, 2018, 01:05:31 PM »

One can always bet on the second part being the case.

Oh, the pettiness is a given, it's more a case of whether he extends and does that former as well as the latter
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1538 on: February 02, 2018, 01:15:12 PM »

Rosenstein will probably follow Sessions' lead and just ignore Trump and his insults. He doesn't seem like the guy who will facilitate any plans of a slow-motion Saturday Night Massacre.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1539 on: February 02, 2018, 01:25:49 PM »

Rosenstein will probably follow Sessions' lead and just ignore Trump and his insults. He doesn't seem like the guy who will facilitate any plans of a slow-motion Saturday Night Massacre.

Interestingly enough, Sessions went out of his way to praise Rosenstein (and Rachel Brand, the No. 3) in a break from prepared remarks this morning.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1540 on: February 02, 2018, 02:49:38 PM »

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/02/trump-russia-indictment-mueller-probe-384969

Special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation has gathered enough steam that some lawyers representing key Donald Trump associates are considering the possibility of a historic first: an indictment against a sitting president.

While many legal experts contend that Mueller lacks the standing to bring criminal charges against Trump, at least two attorneys working with clients swept up in the Russia probe told POLITICO they consider it possible that Mueller could indict the president for obstruction of justice.

The second attorney, who represents a senior Trump official, speculated that Mueller could try to bring an indictment against Trump even if he expects the move to draw fierce procedural challenges from the president’s lawyers – if only to demonstrate the gravity of his findings.

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1541 on: February 02, 2018, 05:12:25 PM »

I have a tough time believing this will end in Spring 2018. I have always hoped we get a speedy conclusion with the investigation. But I have always suspected that this will drag on until 2019 at the earliest. Seeing Trump getting indicted this Spring would be epic beyond words.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1542 on: February 02, 2018, 05:58:07 PM »

Interestingly enough, Sessions went out of his way to praise Rosenstein (and Rachel Brand, the No. 3) in a break from prepared remarks this morning.

We're starting to see something like a line in the GOP, with the cultists on one side and those who would rather not be hanged, drawn, and quartered by future historians (or anyone else) on the other. Their are some surprising members of both camps.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1543 on: February 02, 2018, 06:40:36 PM »

I have a tough time believing this will end in Spring 2018. I have always hoped we get a speedy conclusion with the investigation. But I have always suspected that this will drag on until 2019 at the earliest. Seeing Trump getting indicted this Spring would be epic beyond words.

This thing could spiral out of control pretty fast, if (when?) Mueller indicts Don Jr. and/or Kushner, and Don Sr. fires Mueller and Rosenstein in return.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1544 on: February 02, 2018, 10:33:54 PM »

I feel like Spring 2018 will really drop the hammer.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1545 on: February 03, 2018, 04:09:03 AM »

There still remains the concern over what the cultists do after Trump is indicted. Someone might do something very stupid, like try to kill Mueller.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1546 on: February 03, 2018, 03:24:42 PM »

There still remains the concern over what the cultists do after Trump is indicted. Someone might do something very stupid, like try to kill Mueller.

My prediction: there will be new causes and cults to attract the cranks and fanatics who thought Donald Trump the key to creating the new America The cults and causes could be even more vehement and violent -- and better organized. 
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1547 on: February 03, 2018, 07:35:26 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1548 on: February 03, 2018, 07:36:28 PM »

This whole affair has been described as "Watergate, but stupid".  Has anyone in it been more stupid than Carter Page?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1549 on: February 03, 2018, 09:01:44 PM »

Did anyone mention yet that KT McFarland withdrawing her nomination for an ambassadorship may be a sign that she might be flipping?
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies