Indictment-O-Rama Megathread: Mueller indicts 13 Russians
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:16:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Indictment-O-Rama Megathread: Mueller indicts 13 Russians
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 82
Author Topic: Indictment-O-Rama Megathread: Mueller indicts 13 Russians  (Read 172303 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1250 on: January 07, 2018, 08:12:54 AM »

Possible, but Taylor isn't the world's most reliable source.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1251 on: January 07, 2018, 01:40:38 PM »

Treat Claude Taylor’s pronunciations with extreme skepticism
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1252 on: January 07, 2018, 03:28:17 PM »

It'll drop with very little notice, I would say.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1253 on: January 07, 2018, 08:01:18 PM »

Treat Claude Taylor’s pronunciations with extreme skepticism
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1254 on: January 07, 2018, 10:25:09 PM »

It'll drop with very little notice, I would say.

Yea, look at how sudden and out of nowhere the Manafort and Papadopoulos indictments were.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1255 on: January 08, 2018, 03:30:17 AM »

I meant we know the balloon is going to pop, but we're likely to be doing the ironing when it does.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1256 on: January 08, 2018, 09:32:54 AM »

https://nypost.com/2018/01/08/trump-lawyers-discuss-strategy-for-interview-with-mueller/

Trump lawyers discuss strategy for [expected] interview with Mueller

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Someone in on the President's team seems to understand that if Mueller gets him on mic, under oath, freely answering questions (even if he has lawyers present) then he's toast.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1257 on: January 08, 2018, 09:53:05 AM »

Yes, the legal team seem to be smart. You can't say the same about their client, based on his Twitter behaviour.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1258 on: January 08, 2018, 11:40:38 AM »

I'm poking my head into this thread late, and only having looked at the last few pages of posts.  But isn't the only realistic scenario here, in the case of Trump himself, Mueller reporting his findings and recommendations to the House Judiciary Committee?  (Ken Starr in '98 had no compunctions about making impeachment recommendations to House Judiciary, and the GOP reps on that Committee had no difficulty running down the field with that ball.). I mean, the legal questions about whether a president can be criminally indicted while in office are so murky that they would likely have to be settled by a SCOTUS decision, which would be a protracted process.  And, as others here have noted, it's unlikely the Judiciary Committee or House would do anything given that the GOP on the Hill now appears to be all-in with protecting Trump no matter what Mueller reports.  So, the only thing Mueller can do is report his findings and perhaps recommendations, and depending on how substantive they are, they might create political fire for House GOP candidates in the midterms, as they might be less able to run on their own issues than needing to defend Trump from what they would call an "attempted coup." 

The long and short of it is that, even if Meuller uncovers fairly damning stuff, the best strategy the political opposition has is to come up with someone the voters will prefer to Trump in 2020, as it's really unlikely that the Meuller investigation will oust the president.  Isn't that the most realistic case?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1259 on: January 08, 2018, 01:02:31 PM »

From what I can tell, if he suspects Trump has broken the law, he can list Trump as an unindicted co-conspirator and recommend impeachment (or not), or conceivably he could sue to overturn the DOJ policy that a sitting President cannot be indicted. The latter is probably unlikely.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1260 on: January 08, 2018, 01:28:40 PM »

FWIW, Ken Starr had written a memo back in the day where he opined that the President CAN be indicted and tried like any other citizen.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1261 on: January 08, 2018, 01:30:21 PM »

FWIW, Ken Starr had written a memo back in the day where he opined that the President CAN be indicted and tried like any other citizen.

Leon Jaworski had the same opinion during Watergate, but like Starr he chose to defer to Congress rather than pursuing an indictment.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1262 on: January 08, 2018, 01:37:09 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2018, 01:38:40 PM by We Have A Pope »

I'm poking my head into this thread late, and only having looked at the last few pages of posts.  But isn't the only realistic scenario here, in the case of Trump himself, Mueller reporting his findings and recommendations to the House Judiciary Committee?  (Ken Starr in '98 had no compunctions about making impeachment recommendations to House Judiciary, and the GOP reps on that Committee had no difficulty running down the field with that ball.). I mean, the legal questions about whether a president can be criminally indicted while in office are so murky that they would likely have to be settled by a SCOTUS decision, which would be a protracted process.  And, as others here have noted, it's unlikely the Judiciary Committee or House would do anything given that the GOP on the Hill now appears to be all-in with protecting Trump no matter what Mueller reports.  So, the only thing Mueller can do is report his findings and perhaps recommendations, and depending on how substantive they are, they might create political fire for House GOP candidates in the midterms, as they might be less able to run on their own issues than needing to defend Trump from what they would call an "attempted coup."  

The long and short of it is that, even if Meuller uncovers fairly damning stuff, the best strategy the political opposition has is to come up with someone the voters will prefer to Trump in 2020, as it's really unlikely that the Meuller investigation will oust the president.  Isn't that the most realistic case?

The President can be indicted and tried on federal charges such as obstruction of justice while in office.

Yes, the legal team seem to be smart. You can't say the same about their client, based on his Twitter behaviour.

Nah, they’re basically a group of D-list clowns.  OTOH, Kushner’s lawyer is a top guy.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1263 on: January 08, 2018, 02:01:10 PM »

I remember Starr maintained that a president could be criminally indicted while in office, and there are lots of people who believe he can be.  But Trump's lawyers and perhaps the WH Counsel will argue. and will file briefs to the effect, that this can't be done, and in fact the Attorney General's Office of Legal Counsel has come to this conclusion in '73 and 2000.  So my understanding is that this question has no clear legal answer, and that lack of clarity would have to be worked out constitutionally.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1264 on: January 08, 2018, 03:15:01 PM »

Another Mueller Trump interview story:

"Mueller indicates he will likely seek interview with Trump"

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mueller-indicates-he-will-likely-seek-interview-with-trump/2018/01/08/86100bb2-f473-11e7-beb6-c8d48830c54d_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.eadb0b207c50
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1265 on: January 08, 2018, 06:29:07 PM »

I remember Starr maintained that a president could be criminally indicted while in office, and there are lots of people who believe he can be.  But Trump's lawyers and perhaps the WH Counsel will argue. and will file briefs to the effect, that this can't be done, and in fact the Attorney General's Office of Legal Counsel has come to this conclusion in '73 and 2000.  So my understanding is that this question has no clear legal answer, and that lack of clarity would have to be worked out constitutionally.

Couldn't any indictments just be put on hold until Trump leaves office?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1266 on: January 08, 2018, 07:32:14 PM »

Couldn't any indictments just be put on hold until Trump leaves office?

Definitely, they could.  Eventual criminal indictments could easily be delivered after Trump is out of office if there is evidence of criminal conduct.  But I think a lot of people who are expecting big things from the Meuller investigation are expecting that investigation to lead to his removal from office.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1267 on: January 08, 2018, 07:55:10 PM »

Jail time for Trump is back on the menu
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1268 on: January 08, 2018, 07:58:04 PM »

Trump is bound to say something self-incriminating.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1269 on: January 08, 2018, 08:08:57 PM »

"Hello Mr Mueller....I'm Donald Trump, a very successful business man who's made billions-..."

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1270 on: January 08, 2018, 08:17:54 PM »

Trump should invoke the 5th.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1271 on: January 08, 2018, 08:22:52 PM »

Trump's aides tried to educate him on the Amendments to the Constitution but luckily they gave up after the Fourth
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1272 on: January 08, 2018, 09:01:13 PM »

Trump's aides tried to educate him on the Amendments to the Constitution but luckily they gave up after the Fourth

Also trump invoking the 5th would be blatantly hypocritical.

Even by his standards.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #1273 on: January 08, 2018, 11:55:43 PM »

Also trump invoking the 5th would be blatantly hypocritical.

Even by his standards.
It would be extremely hypocritical and slightly ironic.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1274 on: January 09, 2018, 07:02:30 AM »

Of course "pleading the 5th" screams "I'm guilty" to any casual observer regardless of whether you are or aren't.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies