Indictment-O-Rama Megathread: Mueller indicts 13 Russians
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:58:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Indictment-O-Rama Megathread: Mueller indicts 13 Russians
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 82
Author Topic: Indictment-O-Rama Megathread: Mueller indicts 13 Russians  (Read 172360 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: December 18, 2017, 12:21:38 AM »

https://twitter.com/markberman/status/942582270216556546

Trump is apparently targeting Rosenstein. Important to remember that firing him and replacing him with a WH lackey would allow the President to indirectly stonewall the investigation -- with far less backlash than a Mueller firing would cause.

Firing Rosenstien = firing Mueller to the public. The end result would be Rosenstein's replacement firing Mueller (I don't think the replacement can stonewall Mueller in any way short of firing him).

I read somewhere that (since Mueller reports to Rosenstein) a new Deputy AG could narrow the scope of the investigation or otherwise stop Mueller from doing things that would incriminate Trump, although some other stuff I've read since you posted this indicates otherwise. Just forget that I said anything Tongue

Don't disagree that this would be terrible, and would cause at least some degree of backlash.

You're definitely not wrong, but on the other hand, Trump has been complaining about Sessions and Rosenstein for a long time now. I do think it's possible Trump fires him to exert more control over the investigation, but it's not clear when. It could be months from now, or never. For us lowly citizens, what reports we have of Trump's thoughts on Sessions et al doesn't indicate he is any more likely than he was a month after Mueller was appointed.

I think if he does do it, it'll probably be a rage-response to Mueller indicting Kushner and/or one of his other devil spawn. I'm just assuming Mueller knows this and is probably saving those for last (if at all).
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1051 on: December 18, 2017, 09:16:09 AM »

Trump predicts exoneration in Russia investigation as allies fear a 'meltdown'

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/18/politics/trump-russia-investigation/index.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

My Trumpology is far from perfect (it's hard to predict the actions of the insane), but my takeaway from this is that Trump likely thinks he either has or will be able to 'make a deal' with Mueller. Keeping in mind his real skill at making such deals, probably some version of: 'You'll say I'm innocent or else'. It will work about as well as Trump's 'deals' usually do when he's not on a scripted TV show. And when what passes for his brain finally realizes that, then we'll get the mother of all tantrums.

The big question is: 'is Trump stupid enough to attempt obstruction of justice (short of firing Mueller and shutting down the investigation), in the middle of Mueller's investigation?' I suspect the answer is yes.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1052 on: December 18, 2017, 09:43:51 AM »

At this point, any move that Trump makes is obviously an attempt to shut down the investigation.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1053 on: December 18, 2017, 03:55:45 PM »

‘Insurance policy’ text from FBI agent referred to Russia investigation: report

Quote from: Restricted
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1054 on: December 18, 2017, 04:30:38 PM »

As someone who thinks these texts are overblown, that doesn’t clarify much
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1055 on: December 18, 2017, 04:52:34 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2017, 05:26:33 PM by Ted Bessell »

Agreed on both counts (IMO, it probably meant that Strzok didn’t think relaxing the investigation because Trump would lose was a good idea), but this is easy for the Gaetz/possibly Trump types to twist into “the Russia investigation was an insurance policy against Trump getting elected.”
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1056 on: December 18, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »

Agreed on both counts (IMO, it probably meant that Strzok didn’t think relaxing the investigation because Trump would lose was a good idea), but this is easy for the Gaetz/possibly Trump types to twist into “the Russia investigation was an insurance policy against agrumo getting elected.”

That’s a reasonable interpretation, I agree. It just wasn’t plain to me that that was what he meant, even if I imagine it may have been exactly his intent
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #1057 on: December 18, 2017, 05:47:11 PM »

My Trumpology is far from perfect (it's hard to predict the actions of the insane), but my takeaway from this is that Trump likely thinks he either has or will be able to 'make a deal' with Mueller. Keeping in mind his real skill at making such deals, probably some version of: 'You'll say I'm innocent or else'. It will work about as well as Trump's 'deals' usually do when he's not on a scripted TV show. And when what passes for his brain finally realizes that, then we'll get the mother of all tantrums.

The big question is: 'is Trump stupid enough to attempt obstruction of justice (short of firing Mueller and shutting down the investigation), in the middle of Mueller's investigation?' I suspect the answer is yes.

Exoneration is coming... probably some time before February, according to Preet Bharara. Big months of political wins for Trump and the Republicans upcoming.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1058 on: December 18, 2017, 05:48:53 PM »

Exoneration is coming... probably some time before February, according to Preet Bharara. Big months of political wins for Trump and the Republicans upcoming.

Okay, now I know your a troll. Might as well put you on ignore then.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1059 on: December 18, 2017, 06:01:13 PM »

Agreed on both counts (IMO, it probably meant that Strzok didn’t think relaxing the investigation because Trump would lose was a good idea), but this is easy for the Gaetz/possibly Trump types to twist into “the Russia investigation was an insurance policy against Trump getting elected.”

An insurance policy against a man they believed was a danger to the United States.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1060 on: December 18, 2017, 06:12:28 PM »

The Senate Intel Committee is now looking into the Stein Campaign.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1061 on: December 18, 2017, 08:09:08 PM »

I'm waiting for Fox to report this as "Clapper compliments Trump, calls him an asset!"
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1062 on: December 18, 2017, 08:40:19 PM »

I'm waiting for Fox to report this as "Clapper compliments Trump, calls him an asset!"

Lying criminal Clapper has no more credibility than Trump himself. A man who lied to Congress is worse than worthless as a source.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1063 on: December 19, 2017, 01:08:29 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2017, 01:11:40 AM by Zyzz »

I think that Trump's lawyers have been deliberately misleading him about the Mueller probe. They are giving him overtly optimistic information so he won't fly into a blind rage and fire Mueller.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1064 on: December 19, 2017, 12:26:49 PM »

Truth be told -- the FBI would rather investigate some criminal syndicate really guilty than go on some unjustifiable witch-hunt against an elected President.

This may look like a gamble, but the FBI knows far more than has been exposed in the public domain. Were it exculpatory he FBI would drop the case or be satisfied with arrests and convictions for technicalities.

I cannot say what is in the knowledge of the FBI. If misconduct by the Trump campaign led to a significant distortion of the electoral results of 2016 (which would probably include the Senate as well), then we have a big problem. We do not know, but we all have cause for distrust.

And what if we have a government shaped by electoral fraud? We are cooked.

Exoneration? As likely as that roses will bloom outside in Minnesota in January.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1065 on: December 20, 2017, 06:11:47 PM »

This looks bad regarding obstruction of justice:

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1066 on: December 20, 2017, 06:34:05 PM »

Yikes. That’d explain why McGahn spent two days being interviewed. Between this and some of “his” judicial picks falling flat lately I wouldn’t be surprised to see a new WH Counsel in the first part of 2018
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #1067 on: December 21, 2017, 07:44:37 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2017, 07:50:17 AM by VirginiaModerate »

Yikes. That’d explain why McGahn spent two days being interviewed. Between this and some of “his” judicial picks falling flat lately I wouldn’t be surprised to see a new WH Counsel in the first part of 2018

The Logan Act has never been the basis of a successful conviction and likely won't under Mueller wants to create precedent (which I'm perfectly ok with with this case). Flynn won't get hit with Logan because he struck a deal, however.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1068 on: December 21, 2017, 09:27:52 AM »

Oh, sure. I’m just saying it’s another piece of the puzzle that the President blew off his WH counsel’s concerns so flippantly and then tried to scapegoat him
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1069 on: December 21, 2017, 01:50:01 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2017, 01:58:32 PM by Ted Bessell »

https://twitter.com/randpaul/status/943852014055944192

I don’t want to get to deep into 1984 stuff... but let’s just say that I don’t think the Republicans describing what the FBI people did as “collusion” is an accident
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1070 on: December 21, 2017, 01:56:03 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2017, 03:26:10 PM by Generalissimo Mondale »

I don’t want to get to deep into 1984 stuff... but let’s just say that I don’t think the Republicans describing what the FBI people did as “collusion” is an accident

It's obvious that the treasonous GOP knows that firing Mueller is too risky so instead their going to try and discredit the investigation and push multiple investigations to gum up the works and muddy the waters

Oh and Rand Paul is dumber than dogshít
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1071 on: December 21, 2017, 02:49:04 PM »

It's obvious that the treasonous GOP knows that firing Mueller is too Ricky so instead their going to try and discredit the investigation and push multiple investigations to him up the works and muddy the waters

I'm old enough to remember in 2013 when the True Leftists here said they would support Rand Paul over Hillary because "at least he has principles", lolololol.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1072 on: December 21, 2017, 03:28:31 PM »

It's obvious that the treasonous GOP knows that firing Mueller is too Ricky so instead their going to try and discredit the investigation and push multiple investigations to him up the works and muddy the waters

I'm old enough to remember in 2013 when the True Leftists here said they would support Rand Paul over Hillary because "at least he has principles", lolololol.

Rand Paul is the ultimate phony...if you go on his Twitter page, his most recent posts are about how he's "going for push spending caps on the reckless Congress."

And yet Manlet pro Tempore of the Senate Paul voted for $1.5 Trillion in debt with the tax scam

How the f**k do voters keep calling for such obvious bullshít
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1073 on: December 21, 2017, 03:38:58 PM »

Btw has anyone ever noticed how “anonymous” leaks about Don McGahn always make McGahn out to be some concerned, noble public servant rather than just a run of the mill hack?
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1074 on: December 21, 2017, 04:25:08 PM »

Rand Paul is the ultimate phony...if you go on his Twitter page, his most recent posts are about how he's "going for push spending caps on the reckless Congress."

And yet Manlet pro Tempore of the Senate Paul voted for $1.5 Trillion in debt with the tax scam

How the f**k do voters keep calling for such obvious bullshít

Society-wide movement towards poor education, ignorance, utter lack of critical thinking, and the attention spans of mayflys. And you'll note that Paul is a Republican. (Not that the Dems are that much better, but when you're a bullsh**t artist, every little edge helps.)
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies