Who'll Stop The Rain: The American House Divided
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:53:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who'll Stop The Rain: The American House Divided
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who'll Stop The Rain: The American House Divided  (Read 681 times)
Gone to Carolina
SaltGiver
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2017, 09:53:39 PM »
« edited: October 26, 2017, 08:51:55 AM by Debs4Pres »

I went down Virginia, seeking shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain.

The short Italian-born bricklayer's shoes tapped on asphalt as he walked over to the crowd gathered in Bayfront Park. Concealed in Giuseppe Zangara's pocket, a loaded five-shot .32-caliber revolver. His right hand rested over the pocket, in his left he held a folding metal chair. Arriving at the back of the crowd, he worked quickly, unfolding the chair, and stepping up onto it. Peering over the hat of the man in front of him, Giuseppe acquired his target.

Rolling through the park in his tour car was President-elect Franklin Roosevelt, Mayor Anton Cermak stood on the running board beside him. Zangara raised his revolver and fired, the President-elect was struck in the chest, the crowd screamed. A man whipped around and grabbed Zangara's arm, causing him to fire the remaining four rounds wildly into the crowd.

Roosevelt's vehicle sped away, Mayor Cermak sat in the back, cradling the dying President-elect in his arms. Franklin Delano Roosevelt's last breath left him before a hospital could be reached.  Happy days would remain a figment of the past.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 07:53:15 AM »

SamTilden2020

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 08:07:23 AM »

I'm sad now. Hopefully Garner can fix things.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 09:06:54 AM »

I'm sad now. Hopefully Garner can fix things.
lolno
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 09:28:44 AM »
« Edited: October 26, 2017, 01:02:37 PM by The Govanah Jake »

Was this to do with a successful business plot or something else?
Gone to Carolina
SaltGiver
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »

Was this do too a successful business plot or something else?

Zangara was an anarchist with mental delusions, and he made an attempt on Roosevelt's life in February 1933. However in our timeline he missed Roosevelt, and shot Cermak instead. When he was in the Dade County Courthouse he said, "I have the gun in my hand. I kill kings and presidents first and next all capitalists."
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »

Was this do too a successful business plot or something else?

Zangara was an anarchist with mental delusions, and he made an attempt on Roosevelt's life in February 1933. However in our timeline he missed Roosevelt, and shot Cermak instead. When he was in the Dade County Courthouse he said, "I have the gun in my hand. I kill kings and presidents first and next all capitalists."

Oh. Though to think of it, I wonder if there ever was a timeline on a successful business plot. Would make for a interesting POD
JoeyOCanada
Canada

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 01:46:30 PM »

Interesting premise. Excited to see what you do with it.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 04:46:37 PM »

Great. Now Miami will always been known as the place FDR died
Gone to Carolina
SaltGiver
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2017, 06:45:54 PM by Debs4Pres »

The whiskey burned Jack Garner's throat as he slammed it down. Though it should've been a happy occasion, his face, as well as the faces of his fellow Congressmen, stood stern with sorrow. John Garner meandered over to Sam Rayburn, a fellow Texan.

"You know Sam, I've been holding the Board of Education for over ten years. I always thought, when this whole Prohibition bull was done with, we'd be celebrating," the steely Speaker stated whilst he eyed the crowd.

"Only the Lord knows what we'll do now, Mr. Speaker," Rayburn rested his hand on Garner's shoulder, "God help you, sir."

Jack watched Rayburn exit his office before turning to stare out of his office window. Glimmering in the streetlights, a dusting of snow fell from the heavens, coating the roofs of the Capital. Though his office was warm, for a moment he felt a biting chill. With the shape the country's in, I'll need divine intervention, he thought.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

John Nance Garner, 32nd President of the United States.

Garner stood across from Chief Justice Charles Hughes. Jack Garner held his right hand on the bible in Hughes' hands, and his left in the air. He knew at this moment, thousands had eyes on him and millions more were listening across the country.

"So help me God," Garner lowered his hands. Before he could turn to the podium, Chief Justice Hughes looked at him with eyes that bore into Garner's soul.

"Godspeed, Mr. President."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies