Cuban says that if he runs, it will be as a Republican
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:22:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Cuban says that if he runs, it will be as a Republican
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cuban says that if he runs, it will be as a Republican  (Read 1843 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2017, 12:27:46 PM »

http://www.dailywire.com/news/22647/mark-cuban-says-what-party-hell-join-2020-ryan-saavedra?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:32:29 PM »

He semi-supported Trump for a bit but he felt Trump didn't prepare for the Presidency. I can see where Cuban came from - Trump always seemed like he never wanted to learn policy, and his lack of preparation for the debates was frustrating.

I'll have to see his policy positions before I consider him though. My biggest 2 issues are law and order (including illegal immigration) and trade. I won't support a candidate that is against the death penalty for example.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:40:13 PM »

He is too socially liberal for my tastes, by the way
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »

I don't care much about gay marriage/abortion and all that (although I am against both, I don't really care personally), do you know what his views are on illegal immigration or trade?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 01:09:21 PM »

I don't care much about gay marriage/abortion and all that (although I am against both, I don't really care personally), do you know what his views are on illegal immigration or trade?

I am sure he is an economic conservative and a supporter of free markets and probably agrees with the vast majority of Republican politicians that free trade is the best trade.

Did you prefer that he took the Nancy Pelosi/Bernie Sanders position on the issue, though?  RINO. Tongue
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 01:25:20 PM »

The exchange that that story refers to is excerpted here:

https://www.mediaite.com/online/mark-cuban-on-possibly-entering-2020-presidential-race-ill-probably-run-as-a-republican/

He doesn't say definitively that he'd run as a Republican.  Just "probably".  I still think a 3rd party bid from him isn't out of the question.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 01:28:24 PM »

Why do you think Trump is still a God-emperor in the base's eyes whereas they hate everyone else?

Because he's president and they're not.  Just like Bush was popular among Republicans when he was president, and Cruz or Rubio or whoever would be popular with Republicans if they were president right now instead of Trump.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 01:48:02 PM »

Why do you think Trump is still a God-emperor in the base's eyes whereas they hate everyone else?

Because he's president and they're not.  Just like Bush was popular among Republicans when he was president, and Cruz or Rubio or whoever would be popular with Republicans if they were president right now instead of Trump.

Well yeah. I suspect a lot of Republicans identify with whatever their leader says. If Trump came out in favor of single payer, 80% of Republicans would too.

And the same thing with free trade.  That's how voters are.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 01:51:19 PM »

Bush in his first term was clearly more popular with the GOP base than Trump. Heck Bush in his first term may be the most liked president by his base since maybe FDR.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 01:58:03 PM »

Bush in his first term was clearly more popular with the GOP base than Trump. Heck Bush in his first term may be the most liked president by his base since maybe FDR.

It seems like some people want to count Trump's support among members of his own party as being more "authentic" or something, simply because it skews more downscale than the support for other Republicans.  E.g., before the election, was Trump actually any more popular with Republican voters than Romney was four years earlier?  I don't think so.  But Trump's base within the party included more people with lower incomes and education levels than Romney's base, and so some people seem to think it should count more, or something like that.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 02:44:05 PM »

So where does Cuban stand on Supreme Court appointments?
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 02:48:47 PM »

I'd vote for Cuban if he ran in the GOP primaries versus Trump.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 02:51:51 PM »

If Cuban was serious about winning it, he would run as an Independent.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 03:43:28 PM »

I'd vote for Cuban if he ran in the GOP primaries versus Trump.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 04:00:19 PM »

If Cuban was serious about winning it, he would run as an Independent.

I don't think anyone serious about winning the Presidency runs as an independent, LOL.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 06:52:30 PM »

I am sure he is an economic conservative and a supporter of free markets and probably agrees with the vast majority of Republican politicians that free trade is the best trade.

Did you prefer that he took the Nancy Pelosi/Bernie Sanders position on the issue, though?  RINO. Tongue

And the vast majority of Republican politicians are hopelessly out-of-touch with Republican voters. Why do you think Trump is still a God-emperor in the base's eyes whereas they hate everyone else?

Absolutely, that's why Trump won.

Because he's president and they're not.  Just like Bush was popular among Republicans when he was president, and Cruz or Rubio or whoever would be popular with Republicans if they were president right now instead of Trump.

Umm, no. If that's what GOP voters wanted, Cruz or Rubio would have been the nominee. At anyrate for me had Cruz been the nominee I would have probably decided who to vote for last minute (I don't like Clinton or Cruz) and had Rubio been the nominee I would have voted Clinton (at least I agree with Clinton on some economic stuff, the only things I agreed with Rubio on were gay mariage and abortion but I'm not voting for someone just for that), as far as I'm concerned the only worse GOP candidates were Graham, Fiorina and Jindal (I would have voted Clinton against all three of them).

And then Cuban is probably some Gary Johnson (if not establishment Democrat type) type who just wants to hurt Trump electorally, but a lot of Republicans would not support him. If Cuban's the nominee he'll lose in the biggest landslide (for a Republican) since Barry Goldwater.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 11:19:03 PM »

Because he's president and they're not.  Just like Bush was popular among Republicans when he was president, and Cruz or Rubio or whoever would be popular with Republicans if they were president right now instead of Trump.

Umm, no. If that's what GOP voters wanted, Cruz or Rubio would have been the nominee.

No, I don't think so.  The GOP primary electorate "wanted" Trump in the sense that a plurality of them had him as their first choice, but that's not the same as him being some kind of consensus choice.  Up until the last month or so of the primary campaign, Trump did worse than Cruz and Rubio in favorability ratings of Republican voters, and was consistently near the top or at the top of "who is your least favorite candidate" polls of Republican voters.  He had poor numbers in "Would you be satisfied if he was the nominee?" polls:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/republican-voters-kind-of-hate-all-their-choices/

But then, towards the end of the primary campaign, the ground started to shift in his direction, simply because he was becoming the de facto nominee.  If any other candidate had been in a similar position, they also would have become more popular among Republican voters.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 09:27:16 AM »

Thank God/good riddance
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 09:27:45 AM »

Of course, he's a white man.
uti2

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 02:22:08 PM »

Umm, no. If that's what GOP voters wanted, Cruz or Rubio would have been the nominee.

No, I don't think so.  The GOP primary electorate "wanted" Trump in the sense that a plurality of them had him as their first choice, but that's not the same as him being some kind of consensus choice.  Up until the last month or so of the primary campaign, Trump did worse than Cruz and Rubio in favorability ratings of Republican voters, and was consistently near the top or at the top of "who is your least favorite candidate" polls of Republican voters.  He had poor numbers in "Would you be satisfied if he was the nominee?" polls:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/republican-voters-kind-of-hate-all-their-choices/

But then, towards the end of the primary campaign, the ground started to shift in his direction, simply because he was becoming the de facto nominee.  If any other candidate had been in a similar position, they also would have become more popular among Republican voters.

Cruz & Rubio did well with party regulars. Trump specifically did well with the type of Independent that tends to learn R and thus determines elections for Rs. These voters don't have any party loyalty, compared to Cruz/Rubio voters. Think about this carefully, how would cruz/rubio be significantly more electable after alienating the literal exact type of independent voter they would need to count on to win?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 02:40:06 PM »

Cruz & Rubio did well with party regulars. Trump specifically did well with the type of Independent that tends to learn R and thus determines elections for Rs. These voters don't have any party loyalty, compared to Cruz/Rubio voters. Think about this carefully, how would cruz/rubio be significantly more electable after alienating the literal exact type of independent voter they would need to count on to win?

I didn't say whether they would be electable in the general election or not.  I said that they would be roughly as popular among Republican voters as Trump is currently if they were president instead of him.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 03:56:38 PM »

We might as well abolish the death penalty or restrict it to the absolute worst -- mass and serial killers, genocide, and gangland murders.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 10:12:14 PM »

I didn't say whether they would be electable in the general election or not.  I said that they would be roughly as popular among Republican voters as Trump is currently if they were president instead of him.

To follow up on this, here's a poll from as late as August of last year, in which 52% of Republicans said that they wished that someone besides Trump was the nominee:

http://news.gallup.com/poll/194738/less-half-republicans-pleased-trump-nominee.aspx

Heck, here's a poll of Florida from October of last year:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=249392.0

in which Republican voters were asked who they'd vote for in a Florida primary re-do, and Trump just managed a 35% plurality.  So even last year after he became the nominee, it's not like the majority of the party was in love with Trump, and wanted him over any other figure in the party.  Which again, leads me to suspect that pretty much any president with an R next to their name would be roughly as popular among Republicans as Trump currently is, and the support for him isn't specific to Trump qua Trump.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 08:33:37 AM »

To follow up on this, here's a poll from as late as August of last year, in which 52% of Republicans said that they wished that someone besides Trump was the nominee:

http://news.gallup.com/poll/194738/less-half-republicans-pleased-trump-nominee.aspx

Heck, here's a poll of Florida from October of last year:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=249392.0

in which Republican voters were asked who they'd vote for in a Florida primary re-do, and Trump just managed a 35% plurality.  So even last year after he became the nominee, it's not like the majority of the party was in love with Trump, and wanted him over any other figure in the party.  Which again, leads me to suspect that pretty much any president with an R next to their name would be roughly as popular among Republicans as Trump currently is, and the support for him isn't specific to Trump qua Trump.

For the rank and file Republicans who'd vote for anyone with an R next to their name (rather than the whole group of Republican voters which would include voters who lean R) I think you're right. But obviously without those lean R voters (who wouldn't show up to vote for Rubio or Cruz), the GOP would lose.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 09:42:16 AM »

There's no way Cuban wins the nomination but if he does he'd lose the general election pretty badly because the GOP base would not turn out to vote for him.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies