Update for Everyone VI: What Is and What Should Never Be
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 09:23:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VI: What Is and What Should Never Be
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VI: What Is and What Should Never Be  (Read 143323 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: July 10, 2018, 09:01:06 PM »

Yeah, this campaign I’m working for SUCKS. Borderline ready to quit. You can’t expect to get almost 300 $5 donations in a month, and you can’t expect to pay me $500 A MONTH and have me going to door to door in 85 degree heat with possible thunderstorms. This is gargantuan bullshit.
At least you’re being paid period Tongue
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #1576 on: July 10, 2018, 09:06:53 PM »

Yeah, this campaign I’m working for SUCKS. Borderline ready to quit. You can’t expect to get almost 300 $5 donations in a month, and you can’t expect to pay me $500 A MONTH and have me going to door to door in 85 degree heat with possible thunderstorms. This is gargantuan bullshit.

85 degrees? You should try Nevada. We were going out at 105+ daily.
At least that’s a dry heat.

At least you’re being paid period Tongue
I don’t have a car so I have to Uber everywhere. That gets expensive quick.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1577 on: July 11, 2018, 09:37:12 AM »

The only thing I think I am missing is the specific route I took and motel along the way to move from Dallas to Omaha in 1963 (no interstates).

Unless your parents had some side trips they wanted to make, it's hard to imagine they didn't simply travel US 75 from Dallas to Omaha.  While there have been some realignments of US 75 since 1963 due to the construction of the interstates, I don't think that would affect things at the county level.

I was able to locate a couple of old road maps including the 1961 atlas plate from National Geographic and a 1964 map given out by DX (gas stations gave out road maps for free back then). It even has my favorite tag line: See America best by car!

I combined the map info with more family recollections to deduce that I-35 existed in parts of TX, OK, and KS as did the KS turnpike. Our route from Dallas was almost certainly US-77/I-35, KS turnpike, and US-75 to Omaha. An overnight motel was assumed in OKC but it could have been as far north as Wichita KS.

I used that with the info on the other trips I took through the end of the year of my 10th birthday to put this map together. I lived in the red counties, slept overnight in the blue ones, rode by car in the green ones with intentional visits in cyan. Yellow was for a 1962 train trip. I count 198 counties.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1578 on: July 11, 2018, 10:25:17 AM »

Providing references is so tedious...
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1579 on: July 11, 2018, 01:01:49 PM »

tell them ur brain is the refarance and they can suck it lmao
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1580 on: July 11, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »

Indeed, most of the time it's a decoration on the paper that stops it from being thrown out instantly.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1581 on: July 11, 2018, 09:25:20 PM »

Indeed, most of the time it's a decoration on the paper that stops it from being thrown out instantly.

I'm talking about filling out a reference form for someone else... much more tedious than merely asking for them.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #1582 on: July 12, 2018, 01:20:21 AM »

A moderately attractive guy around my age came into CFA tonight while I was working and he was wearing a Clinton/Gore '92 shirt and I couldn't contain my excitement at witnessing another political nerd* in the wild. Alas, I am both in the back of the store, and in the closet** so I didn't say hi to him or anything

(*Unless he just owned a Clinton/Gore '92 shirt for no reason, which would be disappointing)
(**though that might be changing soon, I told my close friend who I could see myself comfortably being out to that I have a secret, and I assume he'll guess eventually, especially since I'm reasonably certain he's also in the closet. I'm tired of lying to literally all my friends and family but also my parents are anywhere from moderately to vehemently anti-gay [the "pray the gay away" kind, not the Mike Pence "zap the gay away" variety] so I don't feel like coming out to them until I'm not living with them & I don't depend on them for my continued comfortable, privileged existence because while I highly doubt they'd disown me, they'd probably fight me about it all the time)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1583 on: July 12, 2018, 10:27:59 AM »

In family book club - me, my brother, my best friend/cousin, my two aunts, and my mother - it’s my turn to pick, and we’ve all read my pick: the Screwtape Letters. Apparently, since we’ve all read it, it’s causing controversy. My next pick will be The Prince, which will hopefully not be so objected to.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1584 on: July 12, 2018, 08:03:54 PM »

I’ve had “Afternoon Delight” stuck in my head all day.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1585 on: July 12, 2018, 08:56:19 PM »

Ha! I have functioning wifi in my apartment for the first time since about Memorial Day. My impatience for typing things out on my phone shall no longer hinder my effort posts. >Surprise
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1586 on: July 19, 2018, 04:28:53 PM »

In San Jose rn... I think Iv'e said this before, but when around liberals I feel conservative and around conservatives I feel liberal, well even though I support and want Newsom to win, I'm tempted to walk around with a giant John Cox sign.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1587 on: July 19, 2018, 11:40:54 PM »

I really don't know why I spent 10 minutes making this. I guess since I stumbled upon the site while searching for something Trump-related, I felt compelled since so many other people made their own:

http://www.mypokecard.com/en/Gallery/Pokemon-Donald-Chump-4
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1588 on: July 19, 2018, 11:44:31 PM »

In San Jose rn... I think Iv'e said this before, but when around liberals I feel conservative and around conservatives I feel liberal, well even though I support and want Newsom to win, I'm tempted to walk around with a giant John Cox sign.

Pfft. San Jose isn't liberal. You're 40 miles too far south and/or 20 miles too far north of the real liberals.

That said, I get the feeling.

Funnily enough, I'm heading out Texas next week to go deal with the other half of my junk left at my old apartment.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1589 on: July 20, 2018, 02:29:45 AM »

Pfft. San Jose isn't liberal. You're 40 miles too far south and/or 20 miles too far north of the real liberals.

That said, I get the feeling.

Funnily enough, I'm heading out Texas next week to go deal with the other half of my junk left at my old apartment.

Yeah Santa Cruz and SF and Marin Co are more liberal, but San Jose is still heavily democratic and liberal. Ro Khanna for one lol, one of the only JD's walloped an incumbent.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1590 on: July 20, 2018, 02:43:22 AM »

Yeah, I'm here for my cousin's wedding, and my aunt was showing the decorative cloths that can be made into ornate dresses after the wedding that my grandma gave her and her siblings before she deteriorated and passed away a few years ago. She was passing them around when one of the bride's relatives remarked how the cloth smelled nice, so when they got to me, I smelled them too and they had the scent of my grandma on them, a refined and aged juinipery kind of smell. Yeah, that got me kind of emotional and sad, but I knew she was a good woman, proud of this, and in a better place. I lost all my grandparents by 15, and so I get upset whenever people have little complaints about their grandparents like they have boring long stories, rather be on the web at home than visiting them, not hear well, etc etc. I wish I had those problems, I wish I could have just a little more time...
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1591 on: July 20, 2018, 10:20:03 AM »

Just finished my first year of teaching in Holland.  A lot of things to get used to in terms of the school system, both graduate and undergraduate.  But I enjoy living here very much.  Beautiful environment, friendly people (though they become temporarily insane on bicycles), good colleagues and students, easy travelling to almost everywhere in Europe.  German and Belgian beers easily within reach. I even enjoy learning Dutch, though my conversational skills are coming along too slowly.  Life is nice now
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1592 on: July 20, 2018, 11:13:46 AM »

Just finished my first year of teaching in Holland.  A lot of things to get used to in terms of the school system, both graduate and undergraduate.  But I enjoy living here very much.  Beautiful environment, friendly people (though they become temporarily insane on bicycles), good colleagues and students, easy travelling to almost everywhere in Europe.  German and Belgian beers easily within reach. I even enjoy learning Dutch, though my conversational skills are coming along too slowly.  Life is nice now

Do you get to teach in English?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1593 on: July 20, 2018, 11:20:37 AM »

Glad to hear you’re doing well!
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1594 on: July 20, 2018, 06:05:39 PM »

I'm curious about your view of the upcoming chess championship. IIRC you were a fan of Caruana.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1595 on: July 21, 2018, 02:36:34 PM »

Hi all.

Cathcon, yes, the major track I teach in is in English.  But I have to learn Dutch anyway.  As one of only three full profs in my Institute, I have to rotate through the position of Institute Head (chair), and all the university administrative meetings are in Dutch.  

Thanks, Chairman, hope you are well too.

muon2; it's hard not to like Caruana personally--he is a real gentleman (also a young gentleman), and he is a fine player.  I did not think it would win the Candidates Tournament in March--Lev Aronian was the favourite but, once again, he under-performed pretty spectacularly.  It is exciting to have an American player in the world championship match--arguably for the first time since Fischer in 72, but technically since Gata Kamsky played for the FIDE title in '96.  But Carlsen has been handing Caruana some pretty consistent defeats in major tournament play in the last year, so I expect Carlsen to retain his title in November.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1596 on: July 21, 2018, 05:43:30 PM »

muon2; it's hard not to like Caruana personally--he is a real gentleman (also a young gentleman), and he is a fine player.  I did not think it would win the Candidates Tournament in March--Lev Aronian was the favourite but, once again, he under-performed pretty spectacularly.  It is exciting to have an American player in the world championship match--arguably for the first time since Fischer in 72, but technically since Gata Kamsky played for the FIDE title in '96.  But Carlsen has been handing Caruana some pretty consistent defeats in major tournament play in the last year, so I expect Carlsen to retain his title in November.

I was able to watch Caruana in action in April at the US Championship. I was in St Louis and spent a few hours at the tournament for round 9. Caruana was playing Nakamura about five feet from where I was.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1597 on: July 21, 2018, 05:53:31 PM »

Oh, that's great.  I've seen Caruana play in person too, in the first round of the Sinquefiled Cup in St. Louis in 2015.  He lost to Levon Aronian that day, and even Carlsen lost that day to Veselin Topalov.  Having me in the audience appears to be really bad luck for favourites; I've attended four games of Kasparov in person, but the first two I attended, he lost.  Anyway, Caruana is an incredibly nice guy and a fantastic talent.  Carlsen still seems to be a small quantum leap above all the other top contenders for the time being though.   
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1598 on: July 21, 2018, 06:02:56 PM »

Great to hear you are enjoying life in the Netherlands.

Just came home from the evening synagogue service for Tisha B'Av, the second most important fast day (24.5 hours) in Judaism, where we commemorate the destruction of the First and the Second Temple, alongside other calamities. While Yom Kippur is focused on asking for forgiveness individually, Tisha B'Av is about the collective, about our past (and present?) wrongdoings towards G-d as a nation.

21 hours of fasting left Smiley
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #1599 on: July 21, 2018, 07:13:51 PM »

Anish Giri would draw 12 times vs Carlsen, draw the rapid games and finally draw the armageddon tiebreaker with black for the win Smiley. Sadly the reason why he could stand a chance against Carlsen is the exact reason why he won't win the candidates Cry. I went to look to Tata Steel Chess once in 2016 and Caruana played there but I can't really remember his game. He lost against Navara that day so I guess it's best for Caruana if Atlas posters just don't watch the world championship Smiley

Are you referring to the infamous middle-aged men in cycling clothing? They can get very annoying (or even agressive lol).
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies