Nearly Half of All Voters Think Media Make Up Stories About Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:05:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Nearly Half of All Voters Think Media Make Up Stories About Trump
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Nearly Half of All Voters Think Media Make Up Stories About Trump  (Read 2481 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 06:25:21 PM »

The media doesn't make things up but they do go overboard on some stories. Trump gives them a level 5 stupid comment and they turn it in to a level 11 national crisis. i don't like Trump and might even vote democrat against him in 2020 but the idea that the media covers him completely honestly is a joke.

Yeah, the media causes a lot of its own issues here. I doubt they make much of anything up wholesale, but they have a talent for blowing things out of proportion (as do Democrat partisans, though they have obvious reasons for doing so). The result of that is that it becomes harder to trust the news stations to report the news, which is a bad thing for their long-term health. It really should come as no surprise here, as focus on short-term success is an all too American institution.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 06:32:08 PM »

Maybe if Trump was a better president his coverage would be better?

The media also covered Bush completely unfairly.

Maybe if Bush was a better president his coverage would have been better? I don’t know why you think it’s unfair that two awful presidents have had bad media coverage
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 06:38:06 PM »

The media all backed up Bush during the Iraq War, and I rarely heard negative coverage about him leading up to the 2000 election.

I think the media treated Romney pretty unfairly, and Trump somewhat unfairly (but he's also deserved a lot of the coverage he's gotten - they just pick on every little thing Trump does as opposed to the major legislative stuff). But Bush?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2017, 07:13:52 PM »

Maybe if Bush was a better president his coverage would have been better? I don’t know why you think it’s unfair that two awful presidents have had bad media coverage

Bush was a good president (without hindsight) until mid 2005 yet he was savaged by the media non stop in late 03 and all of 04.

Also the media also unfairly have covered  HW other than late 1990-late 1991 , attacked romney non stop during the campaign.

They also attacked Harper , May , Modi unfairly as well .

Trump deserves the hate he got but the rest didn't
AtorBoltox

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 07:26:54 PM »

Bush was a good president (without hindsight) until mid 2005 yet he was savaged by the media non stop in late 03 and all of 04.

Also the media also unfairly have covered  HW other than late 1990-late 1991 , attacked romney non stop during the campaign.

I think the victims of the Gujarat riots might disagree that Modi doesn't deserve hate.
Anyway, no Bush was not savaged in 2003. The media were cheerleaders for the Iraq war.
Harper won the endorsement of about 90% of newspapers in the 2011 election. Is it unfair that he didn't get 100%?
The media only turned on may after the disastrous election result. Do you seriously believe the coverage of May has been more unfair than that given to Corbyn?
In short, you're delusional and have a massive persecution complex
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2017, 07:44:14 PM »

I think the victims of the Gujarat riots might disagree that Modi doesn't deserve hate.
Anyway, no Bush was not savaged in 2003. The media were cheerleaders for the Iraq war.
Harper won the endorsement of about 90% of newspapers in the 2011 election. Is it unfair that he didn't get 100%?
The media only turned on may after the disastrous election result. Do you seriously believe the coverage of May has been more unfair than that given to Corbyn?
In short, you're delusional and have a massive persecution complex

The idea that Modi was complicit in the riots is the outrageous part  . Every court and every investigation  found that he wasn't complicit at all and yet the media keeps attacking him for it because they hate the BJP.

Also I was clearly talking about TV media not newspaper media (which has very little influence now days)and the tv media hated Harper .

No the attacks on Corbyn weren't unfair since he just like trump is clearly insane and both deserve to be attacked.

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2017, 07:56:03 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2017, 08:00:01 PM by Yank2133 »

The media(especially cable ) have become a joke , and are not trust worthy anymore.

Now does that does not mean the government should revoke their license(that would be unconstitutional)  , but people should not watch them until they change how they cover the news and become more reliable again.

Absolutely agree.

I don't like Trump but I think the media should cover him fairly.

lol

If anything the media has been too lenient on Trump.

The media does not cover him well at all. Healthcare is the perfect example of the media's ineptitude concerning Trump. Trump knows nothing about healthcare policy and yet he was never pushed to even explain what AHCA does or how it works.

It same thing for any policy incentive when it comes to Trump. He knows nothing and the press give him softballs questions that allow Trump to through out some word salad and move on to something else.

Seriously, the media just needs to ask him "Mr. President, how would this work?" and that would solve alot of the issues right there.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2017, 08:46:23 PM »

The media(especially cable ) have become a joke , and are not trust worthy anymore.

Now does that does not mean the government should revoke their license(that would be unconstitutional)  , but people should not watch them until they change how they cover the news and become more reliable again.

Absolutely agree.

I don't like Trump but I think the media should cover him fairly.

lol

If anything the media has been too lenient on Trump.

The media does not cover him well at all. Healthcare is the perfect example of the media's ineptitude concerning Trump. Trump knows nothing about healthcare policy and yet he was never pushed to even explain what AHCA does or how it works.

It same thing for any policy incentive when it comes to Trump. He knows nothing and the press give him softballs questions that allow Trump to through out some word salad and move on to something else.

Seriously, the media just needs to ask him "Mr. President, how would this work?" and that would solve alot of the issues right there.

I'd love to see him sat in a chair and grilled deep by an impartial and talented interviewer for a half-hour or more. I don't think he'd last for the inevitable reveal of his ignorance, stupidity, and possibly mental illness. He'd get 5-10 minutes in and bolt.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2017, 09:32:53 PM »

The media does make things up. Obviously they shouldn't have their licenses revoked, since the first to get their licenses revoked would be those guilty of reporting on too much factual information.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2017, 09:54:14 PM »

None of the people in this thread have been able to name one Trump story that was made up
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2017, 10:04:03 PM »

I mean, it is pretty clear they do. At the very least, they are negligent investigating all these "anonymous sources" with bones to pick with President Trump.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2017, 10:18:23 PM »

None of the people in this thread have been able to name one Trump story that was made up

Hooker piss
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2017, 10:50:39 PM »

As deeply disturbing as I find all this, I think most of their ire is directed against cable news and the broadcast media, which is more visible and in-your-face than mainstream print media like the New York Times or the Washington Post.  You could make an argument that right- and left-wing media outlets (like Fox News) actually do make things up, but the self-described mainstream media are held to a higher standard because they demand it themselves -and often fall short due to their desire to curry establishment and corporate favor, and their unfortunate penchant for trying to make news more entertaining for their viewership.  

The only way CNN and the rest of the traditional news media can save themselves is to have their corporate owners either give them the autonomy they need to rebuild their credibility, or to untether themselves completely, even if it means giving up their creature comforts they enjoy today.  
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2017, 01:14:51 AM »

The Media should really listen to Jim Lehrer here (last two min of this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiYohKps70M) if they want to regain credibility with the  people . There is a reason PBS is significantly more trusted than Cable News , and the reasons Lehrer outlined in the last two minutes of that video are why.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2017, 03:03:45 AM »

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention here that multiple studies showed Hillary receiving the most negative media coverage of any candidate, including Trump.

Here's one of them:

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2017, 03:14:18 AM »

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention here that multiple studies showed Hillary receiving the most negative media coverage of any candidate, including Trump.

Here's one of them:

The media really ran with coverage of the "pied piper" candidate like the DNC requested, and hardly covered Bernie at all.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2017, 03:37:07 AM »

The media doesn't make things up but they do go overboard on some stories. Trump gives them a level 5 stupid comment and they turn it in to a level 11 national crisis. i don't like Trump and might even will vote democrat or third party against him in 2020 but the idea that the media covers him completely honestly is a joke.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2017, 08:45:28 AM »

The Media should really listen to Jim Lehrer here (last two min of this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiYohKps70M) if they want to regain credibility with the  people . There is a reason PBS is significantly more trusted than Cable News , and the reasons Lehrer outlined in the last two minutes of that video are why.

Action speaks louder than words.

When it comes to obtaining objective information, PBS is a better source than FOX or MSNBC but at the end of the day, viewers want to be entertained. They go to news that tell them what they want to hear.

Not that I think the public's distrust in media is unfounded, but their eroding credibility could be much more due to electorate's greater polarization and partisanship. When has cable news not ever been biased?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2017, 08:50:46 AM »

Republicans hate constitutional freedoms, more at 11.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2017, 09:16:37 AM »

Well, I think Trump has nothing or not much to do with it. If at all, he's more of a symptom rather than a cause. We witness an erosion in public trust into institutions all over the western world. The roots are much deeper. Short explanation: it has something to do with economic issues, globalization, income and wealth inequality, a feeling lawmakers and courts are rigged against the "common man", immigration, terrorism, social (mass) media, and other cultural/indentity issues.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies