WI: Australia 2016, with Abbott still PM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:47:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  WI: Australia 2016, with Abbott still PM
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WI: Australia 2016, with Abbott still PM  (Read 1248 times)
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2017, 03:34:01 AM »

Let's just say that for whatever reason, Abbott survived his September 2015 leadership challenge. What do you would think would the result could be?
(You can choose one of these dates: Abbott goes for a Double Dissolution because of the ABCC and the election is held on the same date, or the ABCC was never a problem, the DD never goes ahead, and the election happens sometime in either October or November as a normal half-senate, full-house election)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 09:31:51 AM »

I personally think the result in the House of Representatives ultimately would have been about the same as in IRL with Turnbull, but we'll never know.

There are two things I do think that I'm much more confident about though: first, I don't think Abbott goes for a double dissolution, I think the election would have been held in the fall as a result; and second, even if Abbott did lose, long term I think the Coalition (Liberal and National parties) would have been better off having kept him at least until the 2016 election, because the base does not like Turnbull at all, and a party can't succeed when it's base does not like its leadership, as a result the Coalition is in the midst of a civil war and it will lose very badly against the ALP, I think it will be a while before the Coalition gets back into power after they lose the next election.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 03:45:25 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2018, 03:48:43 AM by AtorBoltox »

Labor wins 90+ seats. By the time Abbott was dumped in Setpember 2015 the public he'd lost all authority, trust or credibility and was regarded as incompetent at best, downright delusional at worst. His government was beyond all hope of salvation and 10 months more in the job would not have changed this in any way.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 11:44:15 PM »

Christopher Pyne probably takes over afterwards as a "caretaker" leader.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies