Would Clinton have been a better president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:33:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Would Clinton have been a better president?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Would Clinton have been a better president?  (Read 4114 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2017, 08:55:01 AM »
« edited: October 15, 2017, 08:56:46 AM by Special K »

First of all, almost anyone would make a better president than Trump.  Mark my words, he will go down as the worst (or second worst) president in US history.  Future historians will not be kind to him, and he's given them no reason to be.  Nearly everything he's done as president has solidified his future placement as the worst or among the worst presidents of all time.

I would take four terms of Herbert Hoover at the height of the depression over Trump.

I would rather have James Buchanan than Trump.

Harding was less corrupt than Trump.

He is a sinking ship and he's taking the entire country with him.

So yes, without question, Hillary would have made a better president.  Her approvals would be in the low 40s no doubt.  But there is also no doubt that we would be respected worldwide (instead of the laughing stock Trump has turned us into); and we wouldn't be on the brink of a nuclear war with a madman.  Millions wouldn't lose their healthcare under Hillary.  Puerto Ricans would be grateful for a President Hillary Clinton.  Also, a Hillary win would mean that Russia's hacking efforts had failed; they would almost certainly try again in 2020, but with less confidence than they'll now have in reality.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2017, 10:29:51 AM »

I reject the idea that a Hillary win means catastrophic losses in 2018 and 2020.

At the very least, millions of Americans wouldn't be facing the prospect of their health insurance security taken away all for the LULz of a mentally deranged man who only cares to erase his predecessor's legacy.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 10:37:47 AM »

She'd be a better President in the same sense that dying from a gunshot to the head is better than a knife to the gut.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2017, 01:28:42 PM »

She'd be a better President in the same sense that dying from a gunshot to the head is better than a knife to the gut.

If you don’t believe that the difference would be night and day, regardless of politics, then you need to pay more attention.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2017, 01:31:39 PM »

If you don’t believe that the difference would be night and day, regardless of politics, then you need to pay more attention.

It wouldn't be night and day because congress would still largely be gridlocked. I bet the GOP would drag their feet on several cabinet nominees.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2017, 01:33:03 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2017, 01:36:55 PM by Jacobin American »

Oh yes, two filthy rich, out of touch elitists who're aligned with the interests of large corporations, dedicated to maintaining capitalism, spreading American imperialism, and have no substantive plans for addressing the issues of anthropogenic climate change, wealth inequality, poverty, the decaying of rural communities, outsourcing, wage stagnation, racial inequality, or reining in our interventionist foreign policy. What night and day that is!
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2017, 01:33:50 PM »

It wouldn't be night and day because congress would still largely be gridlocked. I bet the GOP would drag their feet on several cabinet nominees.

Our standing internationally alone would make the difference night and day.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2017, 02:38:24 PM »

Our standing internationally alone would make the difference night and day.

Yup.

I think people are really underestimating how much damage Trump has done to US global standing and soft power.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2017, 03:55:08 PM »

I don't really disagree but I'm largely uncomfortable with how Hillary would react to some of the issues going on in the world - even if those reactions would be better than Trumps. She'd definitely be better on Korea because we'd have an ambassador in South Korea and we'd be working harder on that front, but I'd still be very worried about the middle east.

And while she wouldn't push an actively harmful executive order agenda on the domestic front like Trump has, she would be able to push for an entirely new policy agenda. Her campaign didn't really lay out what she would be her first priority during her administration.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2017, 04:27:03 PM »

Duh.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2017, 04:39:39 PM »

edgy
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2017, 09:16:14 PM »

Oh yes, two filthy rich, out of touch elitists who're aligned with the interests of large corporations, dedicated to maintaining capitalism, spreading American imperialism, and have no substantive plans for addressing the issues of anthropogenic climate change, wealth inequality, poverty, the decaying of rural communities, outsourcing, wage stagnation, racial inequality, or reining in our interventionist foreign policy. What night and day that is!

A Bernie supporter complaining about Hilary's lack of substantive plans?

lol
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2017, 10:46:03 PM »

You'd rather have the US split apart into two countries and delve into the bloodiest war in American history?

Eh, I should've expected that from a fan of George W. Bush.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2017, 11:09:52 PM »

You'd rather have the US split apart into two countries and delve into the bloodiest war in American history?

Daaaaaaang

That's going into the Atlas Hilarity thread.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2017, 08:35:03 AM »

There's a split in our nation right now, and it's one that is only going to get worse.  And the president is directly contributing to it.  Whereas Buchanan's inactions led to the split of the US into two countries, Trump's actions are splitting us yet again.  (No, I don't believe we'll again split into two separate countries; but the political and sociological divide in our country right now, being directly contributed to first by Trump's campaign and subsequent victory and currently by his administration, has never been so great in modern history.)

Buchanan was a failed president, and will likely remain the worst ever.  Trump is equally a failed president, and will in all likelihood be counted just a notch above Buchanan.  But just a notch above.

And lol, yes I did support Bush.  I voted for him in 2004 (and McCain in 08, and Gary Johnson in 12--Hillary in 16), and I regret my vote for the man.  He'll also be counting among the worst, although not dead last or second to last as the other two men being discussed.  I'm sure you have votes you've placed that you now regret too.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2017, 08:43:59 AM »

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2017, 08:44:48 AM »

With or without a democratic congress, would Hillary be doing better than Trump as President?

That's the wrong question, since the answer is obviously "yes."

The correct question in that context would be: "Would Rod Blagojevich have been a better president?"
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2017, 09:20:24 AM »

No. She didn't (doesn't) care about the middle class.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2017, 11:22:24 AM »

Even with a Republican house and Senate, the status quo in foreign and domestic policy would be infinitely better than the sh**t show we're experiencing now.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2017, 11:41:20 AM »

Uhhh...ya think? No duhhhhhhhh.
Wakie77
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2017, 12:27:59 PM »

Most people would be better.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2017, 01:15:50 PM »

Between her and Trump, which of them would you say cares more about the middle class?
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2017, 01:31:21 PM »

Between her and Trump, which of them would you say cares more about the middle class?

Clearly the man who sh-ts in golden toilets.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2017, 01:31:41 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2017, 01:41:10 PM by Lechasseur »

Even with a Republican house and Senate, the status quo in foreign and domestic policy would be infinitely better than the sh**t show we're experiencing now.

This. What really bothers me about Trump is his incompetence and recklessness in terms of foreign policy.

Afterwards, I think Hillary wanted war with Russia, which would definitely be much worse than what we're dealing with now.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2017, 01:39:15 PM »

Yes, but I think the altright blowback would be terrifyingly massive, and would plunge us into a much darker political sphere.  

Yes, people, remember that Trump is really nothing compared to what could've happened. Imagine what a bare Hillary win would've wrought on the country:

2016: Hillary wins a bare EC majority but Senate stays at 52R-48D. McConnell refuses to let Hillary appoint a replacement SCOTUS Justice, saying there was no mandate and that we'll have to wait until the next election.
2017: GOP picks up VA gubernatorial race and Virginia special Senate seat
2018: R+10 in the Senate and R+20 in the House
2018-2020: Hillary becomes even more unpopular than she already is and is essentially a lame duck. A Republican president is basically guaranteed with a Senate supermajority
2020: Tom Cotton leads the GOP to a historic electoral landslide, managing to expand the Senate supermajority by a seat or two.
2021: SCOTUS has a 7-2 conservative majority.

I don't know about anyone here, but I find Tom Cotton to be one of the most frightening people in politics in either party.  He scares me more than Maxine Waters or Chris "World War III" Christie, and those two are scary, indeed.

Would he just be a more competent President Trump? If so, very scary thought

Trump, while not someone who reflects compassion for the less fortunate, gets the idea that the safety net is necessary to avoid massive hordes of impoverished people in the streets (as there are in third world countries).  Trump is also not a Neocon looking for unnecessary new wars.

Cotton is all for the 1% and all for endless interventionism.  He's as cold as a reptile.

Well Trump definitely seems keen on getting us into wars with North Korea and Iran, one of the main reasons I voted for him was to put an end to all that.

To be fair, Kim Jong Un's a nutjob and war may have been coming anyway but as my aunt said ''you don't provoke a crazy person'', and that's what Trump is doing.

Then one of the very rare things I agreed with Obama on was the Iran deal (I think just about the only other thing I can think of was restoring relations with Cuba, which Trump seems intent on overturning as well) and now Trump wants to shread it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies