1912: TR (P) vs. Taft (R) vs. William Jennings Bryan (D)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:09:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1912: TR (P) vs. Taft (R) vs. William Jennings Bryan (D)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1912: TR (P) vs. Taft (R) vs. William Jennings Bryan (D)  (Read 558 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2017, 07:05:30 PM »

What if the Democrats nominated Bryan instead of Wilson?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 09:04:34 PM »

Under these circumstances, I think TR would endorse him and stay out of the race.  I really doubt he would be nominated a 4th time in 5 elections after losing the first 3 times, though.  Charles Bryan would be more plausible if he got into politics a bit earlier in his life.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 10:45:29 PM »

Under these circumstances, I think TR would endorse him and stay out of the race.  I really doubt he would be nominated a 4th time in 5 elections after losing the first 3 times, though.  Charles Bryan would be more plausible if he got into politics a bit earlier in his life.

Endorse Taft or Bryan? If the latter, why would TR endorse Bryan?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 11:28:42 AM »

"They were both progressive!" After all, it's not as though Theodore Roosevelt was a lifelong Republican and that he returned to the GOP fold after 1912, nor is it that in 1896 he made a job of hammering Bryan as the scourge of progress and merit. Moreover, Roosevelt likely deplored Bryan's view of America's place on the world stage, but disregard all of that because a New York aristocrat would cast his lot with an agrarian anti-imperialist owing to the fact that an eleventh-grade history textbook might label both as progressive.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 11:16:45 PM »

"They were both progressive!" After all, it's not as though Theodore Roosevelt was a lifelong Republican and that he returned to the GOP fold after 1912, nor is it that in 1896 he made a job of hammering Bryan as the scourge of progress and merit. Moreover, Roosevelt likely deplored Bryan's view of America's place on the world stage, but disregard all of that because a New York aristocrat would cast his lot with an agrarian anti-imperialist owing to the fact that an eleventh-grade history textbook might label both as progressive.

While Teddy definitely would not have endorsed Bryan , he was a progressive(heck he ran in 1912 as a member of the progressive party).

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies