Updated: ~470,000 Puerto Ricans to Relocate over 2 Years (Swing State Alert)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:18:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Updated: ~470,000 Puerto Ricans to Relocate over 2 Years (Swing State Alert)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Updated: ~470,000 Puerto Ricans to Relocate over 2 Years (Swing State Alert)  (Read 5136 times)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 10:36:52 AM »

Mortimer, Latin American countries are poor because of their institutions, not because of the "extraction" of their people. These institutions were set in place at the countries' founding and have shaped their development ever since. Just look at the difference between North Korea and South Korea to see how, even with the same "extraction", different institutions make the difference between rich and poor.

Latin America has the institutions they have at least partially because of the people they have. Institutions don't spring from the ground. They are made by people.
Shocked
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 10:45:27 AM »

As someone who has actually read a lot of research on why countries are rich and poor I would like to make a PSA that Mortimer has zero clue about what he's talking about and is just voicing his racism. There is no evidence for his ideas and this is a field where there has been a lot of interesting research. 

In fact, an oft noted, stylized fact in economics is precisely that people of Latin American background quickly become a lot richer when they cross the border to the US.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 11:16:01 AM »

Mortimer, Latin American countries are poor because of their institutions, not because of the "extraction" of their people. These institutions were set in place at the countries' founding and have shaped their development ever since. Just look at the difference between North Korea and South Korea to see how, even with the same "extraction", different institutions make the difference between rich and poor.

Latin America has the institutions they have at least partially because of the people they have. Institutions don't spring from the ground. They are made by people.

But even in the Anglophone world, Appalachia and the Ozarks are very different from New England,  Upstate New York, the Great Lakes Region, Utah, the Pacific Northwest, and northern California, settled by people of a culture that originated in southeastern England.

Get Latin-Americans to northern California and they assimilate attitudes toward education, law and order, and commerce more typical of Boston than of San Pedro Sula.

...One social historian said that there are two sorts of colonies. One sort of colony (the settler colony) is settled by religious dissidents, small businessmen, tradesmen, and peasant farmers -- people who insist upon constitutional government and law and  order, and care little about finding easy ways in which to get filthy rich. New England is a prime example because nobody gets rich farming in New England, there are no high-value natural resources like jewels or precious metals, and there wasn't much of a Native population to exploit.  They build institutions -- Massachusetts having the General Court (now the oldest freely-elected legislature in the world) and Harvard University within twenty years of the landing at Plymouth Rock.  Crime rates are low, democratic institutions are the norm, and economic inequality mostly reflects personal talent and effort. See also Canada, Australia, New Zealand, New York, southeastern Pennsylvania, Minnesota, the west coast of the United States from about Monterrey northward, Costa Rica, Uruguay, southeastern Brazil, and to some extent Argentina.

The exploiter colony is founded by second sons who still want to live like and as aristocrats, and to that end seek out easy resources to plunder, peasants to treat as sharecroppers, and of course slaves to do the dirty work. Commerce does not flourish; economic inequality is severe, educational standards are low, crime is high, and the legal order alternates between plutocratic repression and revolutionary upheaval . Examples include Mississippi, Louisiana, Mexico, Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti, El Salvador, Peru, and most of Brazil.

Texas and Hawaii are mixed bags.

So people do well with what they have in Vermont, and waste their bounty in  Louisiana.     
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 11:21:08 AM »

As a devout supporter of the Democratic party, I fervently wish for repeated natural disasters to make Puerto Rico uninhabitable, thereby flipping Florida Atlas Red.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 11:27:43 AM »

As a devout supporter of the Democratic party, I fervently wish for repeated natural disasters to make Puerto Rico uninhabitable, thereby flipping Florida Atlas Red.

Not funny
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 11:30:14 AM »

Not funny

And then I wish for earthquakes to destroy Canada, flipping the Midwest back.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 11:50:23 AM »

Yet people claim we can have open borders with Latin America and not be overwhelmed.

Puerto Rico is a case study that proves people from the third world will never stop moving here until this country is as poor as the ones they are coming from.

Swallow a bullet, Christ.

He just described economic migration, albeit in a rather crude way that could be perceived as being racially-charged.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 11:57:21 AM »

Yet people claim we can have open borders with Latin America and not be overwhelmed.

Puerto Rico is a case study that proves people from the third world will never stop moving here until this country is as poor as the ones they are coming from.

He just described economic migration, albeit in a rather crude way that could be perceived as being racially-charged.

Wait, so we're not supposed to take every post literally here?  Who knew?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 11:58:22 AM »

My post is literal.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 11:58:42 AM »

Racist? Check.
Xenophobic (somehow against people within your own country)? Check.
White Supremacist? Check.
Don't have a damn clue about Puerto Rico or its people? Check.
Completely ignorant of history and the consequences of colonialism, imperialism, and European exploitation? Check.

Purely name calling and no actual arguments? Check.

Yep. And I'm never going to argue with you either because you're pure trash devoid of intelligence and not worth even the minimal effort used to type these words. Now, yo-ho-ho and onto ignore you go.
Somehow, Jacobin has managed to be worse than ProgressiveCanadian. That's takes a lot of effort.

It's nice to see you coming to the defense of a bigot while rebuking me for calling him out on his ignorance. But, "worse" is a highly subjective adjective. Considering the source, I'll take it as a compliment. Now, yo-ho-ho and onto ignore you go.

Anyway, I hate for posts on a thread discussing an important issue to drift so far from the topic, so I'll stop replying to the trolls now.
Did I ever defend what he said? Or was it those voices in your head?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 12:04:55 PM »

My post is literal.

That, I knew.  Smiley
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 12:09:24 PM »

Being against economic migration makes you worthy of execution in the eyes of the left. I'm not being hyperbolic. That is seriously what most leftist under 30 think. I would find it kind of scary but I'm pretty desensitized to it.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 12:14:37 PM »

Being against economic migration makes you worthy of execution in the eyes of the left. I'm not being hyperbolic. That is seriously what most leftist under 30 think. I would find it kind of scary but I'm pretty desensitized to it.

You literally just argued that people of Central American and Latin American descent are inherently predisposed to create third world economies. Spare us the persecution complex sob story.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 12:24:30 PM »

You literally just argued that people of Central American and Latin American descent are inherently predisposed to create third world economies. Spare us the persecution complex sob story.

It's their skull shape, you see.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 12:27:37 PM »

No, that is not at all what he said.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2017, 12:32:37 PM »

Different people produce different cultures. Why wouldn't they produce different economies?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2017, 12:41:04 PM »

Different people produce different cultures. Why wouldn't they produce different economies?
What does "different people" mean?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2017, 12:45:37 PM »

He just confirmed that that is exactly what he said.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2017, 12:49:54 PM »

You and I are different people. The people in Brazil are different people from the people in Yemen. Even if a Brazilian lived in Yemen, even if a person of Brazilian descent was born in Yemen, they would likely behave differently than Yemeni people born in Yemen, assuming they were raised by Brazilian people in a community that preserved Brazilian culture.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2017, 01:07:32 PM »

You and I are different people. The people in Brazil are different people from the people in Yemen. Even if a Brazilian lived in Yemen, even if a person of Brazilian descent was born in Yemen, they would likely behave differently than Yemeni people born in Yemen, assuming they were raised by Brazilian people in a community that preserved Brazilian culture.

Culture is not a product of race or any other physiological or genetic predisposition. Positions such as these were thoroughly debunked decades ago.

Again, what are "different people"? What makes them "different"? How do these characteristics restrict or confine cultural developments diachronically?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2017, 02:17:27 PM »

Brownsville TX is a mostly Mexican American city in the United States. The average income there is about half what it is in the rest of the United States. I'm sure this is because the 7% White minority in the city is racist though.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2017, 02:19:44 PM »

He just confirmed that that is exactly what he said.

Okay, that's not how I interpreted it.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »

Brownsville TX is a mostly Mexican American city in the United States. The average income there is about half what it is in the rest of the United States. I'm sure this is because the 7% White minority in the city is racist though.

Answer my questions and stop cherry picking data.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2017, 03:50:16 PM »

So, over/under on the mods actually banning Mortimer for endorsing racial supremacy?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2017, 06:10:06 PM »

Answer my questions and stop cherry picking data.

Good luck getting a substantive response from him. He cites Brownsville, TX, yet conveniently ignores El Paso, TX, which is consistently ranked among the safest major cities in America and was rated among the best places to live in 2017. But, according to Famous Mortimer, that's impossible since the city is 80% Hispanic (overwhelmingly Mexican). Maybe he'd also like to explain how cities like Los Angeles, which is about 50% Hispanic, and San Antonio, which is 64% Hispanic, are doing so well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies