Trump approval ratings thread 1.2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 12:24:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump approval ratings thread 1.2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 78
Author Topic: Trump approval ratings thread 1.2  (Read 187707 times)
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: January 23, 2018, 11:34:42 AM »

Approval ratings aren't binary. It's not underwater=bad and above water=good. It matters how high above the water or underwater Trump is, not just if he is. In a state he won by 3.7 points, being underwater by 8 points is great for him, considering he's underwater nationally by 16 points.

That's not how that works. At all.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1401 on: January 23, 2018, 12:16:54 PM »

Approval ratings aren't binary. It's not underwater=bad and above water=good. It matters how high above the water or underwater Trump is, not just if he is. In a state he won by 3.7 points, being underwater by 8 points is great for him, considering he's underwater nationally by 16 points.

That's not how that works. At all.

UncleSam

« Reply #1402 on: January 23, 2018, 12:33:55 PM »

Uh

That is how it works guys lol

Doing better than one would expect based on national numbers in competitive states is literally how Trump won
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1403 on: January 23, 2018, 12:38:57 PM »

Uh

Doing better than one would expect based on national numbers in competitive states is literally how Trump won

PPP's polls have been right of center during the entire Trump presidency.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1404 on: January 23, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »

Uh

Governor Ed Gillespie agrees with you.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1405 on: January 23, 2018, 12:43:52 PM »

Uh

Governor Ed Gillespie agrees with you.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1406 on: January 23, 2018, 12:45:14 PM »

Uh

I know. But extrapolating that -8 in a light red state won by +4 as "great" is questionable logic.
kph14
Germany

« Reply #1407 on: January 23, 2018, 12:53:29 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2018, 12:58:06 PM by kph14 »

He lost the nationwide popular vote by 2 and is now 14 points further underwater. He won NC by 4 and is now 12 points lower. I don't see a substantial overperformance. He's exactly where you would expect him to be...
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1408 on: January 23, 2018, 01:16:41 PM »

The Trump collapse continues:

NBC/Survey Monkey:

41% Approve (-1)
58% Disapprove (+2)

Source
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #1409 on: January 23, 2018, 01:28:42 PM »

Another great poll for Trump. Partisan pollster PPP only find him underwater by 8 points in North Carolina, completely invalidating the Georgia poll that showed him 22 points underwater.

North Carolina, PPP

https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/PPP_Release_NC_12318.pdf

Approve: 42
Disapprove: 50
These numbers are amazing for Trump, remember that many people lie to pollsters (especially Republicans), and that I currently rate North Carolina Lean Republican (along with Florida and Arizona) in the 2020 presidential election.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1410 on: January 23, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »

Another great poll for Trump. Partisan pollster PPP only find him underwater by 8 points in North Carolina, completely invalidating the Georgia poll that showed him 22 points underwater.

North Carolina, PPP

https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/PPP_Release_NC_12318.pdf

These numbers are amazing for Trump, remember that many people lie to pollsters (especially Republicans), and that I currently rate North Carolina Lean Republican (along with Florida and Arizona) in the 2020 presidential election.

Confirmed: Lear and Limo are the same user.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1411 on: January 23, 2018, 01:31:02 PM »

North Carolina, PPP

I think Senator Roy Moore has something to say about that.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1412 on: January 23, 2018, 01:32:58 PM »

North Carolina, PPP

You're not going to get a girlfriend by posting 13 times a day on atlas.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1413 on: January 23, 2018, 01:35:17 PM »

North Carolina, PPP

Confirmed: Lear and Limo are the same user.
I've been saying that for weeks
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1414 on: January 23, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »

My question about this is, what is the normal amount of time it takes for voters to hold the president accountable for the state of the economy?  What is the past polling on this?  Instinctively, I would assume that if you’re only, say, a month into a new president’s term, the voters are still going to say that the previous president is more responsible for the state of the nation than the brand new president is.

Eventually, that’s going to change though, and I’m not sure what the normal timescale is.  The Trump-friendly reading of the above is that this poll is promising in the sense that Trump’s current bad numbers are a consequence of his Trumpiness rather than economic fundamentals, and that *eventually*, as Obama fades from memory, voters will put more responsibility for the state of the economy on Trump.  And so, even if the economy never actually gets any better than it is now, Trump’s numbers could rise once he gets more credit for it.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1415 on: January 23, 2018, 03:48:23 PM »

Uh

I know. But extrapolating that -8 in a light red state won by +4 as "great" is questionable logic.

Pretty much this. Trump doing 11-12 worse than he did on election day in a must-win state is not something for Republicans to be cheerful about.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #1416 on: January 23, 2018, 04:18:23 PM »

My question about this is, what is the normal amount of time it takes for voters to hold the president accountable for the state of the economy?  What is the past polling on this?  Instinctively, I would assume that if you’re only, say, a month into a new president’s term, the voters are still going to say that the previous president is more responsible for the state of the nation than the brand new president is.

Eventually, that’s going to change though, and I’m not sure what the normal timescale is.  The Trump-friendly reading of the above is that this poll is promising in the sense that Trump’s current bad numbers are a consequence of his Trumpiness rather than economic fundamentals, and that *eventually*, as Obama fades from memory, voters will put more responsibility for the state of the economy on Trump.  And so, even if the economy never actually gets any better than it is now, Trump’s numbers could rise once he gets more credit for it.

Even controlling for partisan differences, I assume that voters lean toward crediting the president immediately. This is based on educated guess that voters have short memory.

Trump's case is unique because he is his own enemy. If he never compared himself to Obama or was not tweeting braggadociously about the economy, then he would have gotten more credit from the beginning.

It's comparable to how an athlete that brags about how many trophies he's won tends to not be given much credit because fans dislike him. When he's modest about it, fans give him credit.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1417 on: January 23, 2018, 05:08:07 PM »

Even controlling for partisan differences, I assume that voters lean toward crediting the president immediately. This is based on educated guess that voters have short memory.

I would really like to see what the track record is on this though.  How much correlation is there between a president's job approval rating and the performance of the economy just a year into their presidency, vs. how big is the correlation once you're three or four years into their term?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1418 on: January 23, 2018, 05:51:05 PM »

Michigan: Detroit News Poll

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2018/01/22/donald-trump-michigan-poll-approval/109726082/

Approve: 39.5
Disapprove: 54

Slightly better than his national approval ratings. Good sign for Trump in the Midwest.

Yeah, being -15 in a state you won is always excellent news.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1419 on: January 23, 2018, 10:50:33 PM »

Apparently a Fox News poll tomorrow will show good numbers for Trump. Maybe.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1420 on: January 23, 2018, 11:03:47 PM »

Got a link?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1421 on: January 23, 2018, 11:08:28 PM »

Got a link?

Just heard it through the grapevine. I also heard it might have a caveat though.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1422 on: January 23, 2018, 11:10:17 PM »

Got a link?

Just heard it through the grapevine. I also heard it might have a caveat though.

Hmph. Alright then.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #1423 on: January 23, 2018, 11:44:45 PM »

Got a link?

Which grapevine?
Biden Stans Are Cringelords
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1424 on: January 24, 2018, 12:18:11 AM »

North Carolina, PPP

This isn't even clever trolling. Genuine Democrats or just leftists in general wouldn't spend literally all their time unskewing polls in the opposite side's favor.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies