What is your favorite New England state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 09:50:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What is your favorite New England state?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: (skip)
Connecticut

New Hampshire

Maine

Massachusetts

Rhode Island

Vermont

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: What is your favorite New England state?  (Read 1219 times)
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:43:01 PM »

Which of the New England states is your favorite?

Here's how I would rank them:
1. New Hampshire (nice balance between towns and rural areas, less progressive than other NE states, Canobie Lake Park)
2. Massachusetts (kinda biased since it's my home state, but SE Mass is a nice place to live)
3. Maine (haven't been here much, but what I've seen is nice and it feels a lot like NH)
4. Vermont (never been here, though it has a strong small-town vibe)
5. Connecticut (kind of has a personality disorder between NY/Boston, wouldn't be a terrible place to live but it seems to have less character overall)
6. Rhode Island (kind of the red-headed stepchild, in a lot of ways it is less distinct than CT due to its small size and close proximity to Boston, most of its pros are in very small quantities and better done in other NE states, but Block Island is a lovely place to vacation)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 12:08:20 AM »

6. Rhode Island (kind of the red-headed stepchild, in a lot of ways it is less distinct than CT due to its small size and close proximity to Boston, most of its pros are in very small quantities and better done in other NE states, but Block Island is a lovely place to vacation)
*ahem*

We are much more distinct than Connecticut. We have a strong local culture, we pride ourselves on being independent from Massachusetts and seceding from them to become the first place with Separation of Church and State. As well as starting the American Industrial Revolution. Imagine a USA without religious freedom, that never experienced industrialization. That's what RI brought to the union. We have our own accent, our strong beach culture, the vibrant renaissance city of Providence.

Rhode Island

Some RI trivia, since it's my home

*smallest state but longest name ("The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations")

*first colony founded on the idea of Religious Liberty and separation of church/state, by Baptist minister Roger Williams after fleeing Puritan-Massachusetts (who also bought the land from the Native Americans)

*have the oldest Baptist church

*have the first Synagogue in North America

*home of the last battles of King Phillip's War / Metacomet's War (the last war to really ravage New England)

*the RI State House is the 4th-largest self-supporting marble dome in the world (behind the Vatican’s St. Peter’s Basilica and the Taj Mahal in India)

*burning of the Great Gaspee, long before the Boston Tea Party... we actually burnt one of their ships, not just spill some tea!

*first colony to declare independence, 2 months before the Declaration of Independence

*13th colony to join the union and ratify the constitution (we were waiting for the Bill of Rights) in 1790

*Slater Mill in Pawtucket is home of the American Industrial Revolution... we brought the Industrial Revolution to the USA!

*home of Hasbro Toys, the largest toymaker in the world

*home of McCoy Stadium, which hosted the longest professional baseball game in world history... 32 innings!

*we are 37 miles by 48 miles... but the 2nd most densely-populated state in the country

*the only state to still celebrate the end of World War II as an official holiday, Victory Day

*we are double the population of Wyoming... but 90 times smaller!

*home to HP Lovecraft, the first automobile race, and the patent for the first "motion picture machine"

*our religious freedom made us attract very diverse immigrants from the start, and our industrial revolution (the Blackstone River was once called the "hardest-working river in America") attracted many more in the early 20th century, and still to this day is an immigrant magnet and safe haven

*Estimated to be:
19% Irish, 16% Italian, 15% Hispanic,
11% English, 11% French, 10% Portuguese,
6% African-American, 4% Polish,
4% Multi-racial or Other, 3% Asian, 1% Native American
(and the most Catholic state in the country... but also some of the most liberal Catholics)

*our state motto is short and sweet: "Hope"

*nicknamed the "Ocean State" for our great beaches, summer beach culture, and very long coastline.

Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 01:48:53 AM »

Maine, followed by Massachusetts. The former edges out on account of having Stephen King.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 08:48:46 AM »

Mass
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 09:16:24 AM »

I have never had the pleasure of visiting anywhere in New England, so this is all on perception.  I think every state in the region has its charms, but here is how I would ignorantly rank them:

1. Maine ... I have always had a soft spot for Maine ever since I discovered how much I love lobster (and heard just how much better Maine lobster is than the stuff I have tried in the Caribbean) and that its topography is supposed to be nearly identical to Door County, WI, one of my favorite places on Earth.
2. Vermont ... Vermont seems beautiful, and though Burlington and some other areas would probably be so whacko liberal that I wouldn't enjoy it there, it looks like a nice town.
3. Massachusetts ... Boston is supposed to be one of the coolest places to visit in the United States, and the Cape Cod area would seemingly be right up my alley.  I generally like the history of the state, too.
4. New Hampshire ... Seems like the least interesting of the upper NE states, but I certainly don't have a strange hatred of it or its women or anything. Smiley
5. Rhode Island ... I'm sure it's nice, but it's never intrigued me much.
6. Connecticut ... It just seems too stuffy and suburban, but obviously that is just a stereotype.  The one guy I have met from CT was literally astonished at the binge drinking ability of us Midwesterners on a college football Saturday ("it's like you guys are drinking because it's your job...").  Damn right, guy!
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:24:56 AM »

I have always wanted to visit New England.. Particularly Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.
Rjjr77
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 11:43:40 AM »

New Hampshire.

Massachusetts is easily one of my least favorite states, I've lived there and despite the love it often gets (mostly from people who've only visited for a short period) its an absolute crap hole.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 02:26:23 PM »

All right, switch Rhode Island and Connecticut.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 09:17:23 PM »

If you go by its presidential voting record before 1992, Vermont.  If you go overall, then probably New Hampshire, with Massachusetts and Vermont close behind.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 10:51:32 PM »

1. Vermont
2. Maine
3. Massachusetts
4. Rhode Island
5. New Hampshire
6. Connecticut
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 10:17:39 AM »

Massachusetts
Maine
Vermont
Rhode Island
New Hampshire
Connecticut
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 10:22:41 AM »

Maine (sane)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 11:13:22 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2017, 09:33:08 PM by TDAS04 »

Vermont
Massachusetts
Maine
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Connecticut
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 02:37:58 PM »

Definitely Upper New England. Out of those probably Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 03:46:15 AM »

1. Maine
2. Rhode Island
3. Vermont

4. Connecticut

5. Massachusetts

6. New Hampshire
HillGoose