Kasich threatens to leave GOP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:41:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kasich threatens to leave GOP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Kasich threatens to leave GOP  (Read 3155 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 04:51:28 AM »

North Carolina Yankee, your analysis is spot on.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »

John Kasich used to be considered fairly hard right lol. How times have changed.
Are you talking about his past support for Bill Clinton's welfare reforms? Past opposition to intervention for Yugoslavia? He was never an ideologue.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2017, 06:21:34 PM »

He should leave.  Country before party.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2017, 02:33:19 AM »

Kasich is really pissing me off. If he wanted to stop Trump, he should have dropped out after the New Hampshire primary and endorsed either Rubio or Cruz. Instead, his ego wouldn't let him quit, and he played a major role in Trump winning the GOP nomination.

FWIW Kasich won Ohio; and denied the 66 delegates to Trump whilst Rubio couldn't even win Florida.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2017, 04:04:25 AM »

Kasich is really pissing me off. If he wanted to stop Trump, he should have dropped out after the New Hampshire primary and endorsed either Rubio or Cruz. Instead, his ego wouldn't let him quit, and he played a major role in Trump winning the GOP nomination.

FWIW Kasich won Ohio; and denied the 66 delegates to Trump whilst Rubio couldn't even win Florida.

This. Kasich was definitely more electable than Rubio
uti2

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2017, 04:51:20 AM »

Maybe Rubio shouldnt have done so badly in NH.

Kasich came in 2nd in NH not Rubio , due to Rubio self destructing at the NH debate

By the way, the idea that Kasich played a role in helping Trump is fallacious. If you're a pro-choice/pro-medicare republican Trump is the most moderate of the 3 (Trump,Rubio, Cruz), that's why Trump consistently won moderates in every single primary, with Kasich collecting the second highest number of Moderates.

If anyone played that role, it was Rubio, who took conservatives away from Cruz, he was the one who should've dropped out and endorsed Cruz after NH.

You also need to look at it from the perspective of Kasich/Jeb/Christie, they're experienced governors and relatively more moderate, forcing them to pick a choice between two hard-right inexperienced congressmen is absurd at face value, because for them, in some policy respects, Trump would actually be more preferable.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2017, 05:03:42 AM »

Kasich should become a moderate Democrat. I'd support him over Bernard or Warren.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2017, 05:29:15 AM »

Kasich came in 2nd in NH not Rubio , due to Rubio self destructing at the NH debate

By the way, the idea that Kasich played a role in helping Trump is fallacious. If you're a pro-choice/pro-medicare republican Trump is the most moderate of the 3 (Trump,Rubio, Cruz), that's why Trump consistently won moderates in every single primary, with Kasich collecting the second highest number of Moderates.

If anyone played that role, it was Rubio, who took conservatives away from Cruz, he was the one who should've dropped out and endorsed Cruz after NH.

You also need to look at it from the perspective of Kasich/Jeb/Christie, they're experienced governors and relatively more moderate, forcing them to pick a choice between two hard-right inexperienced congressmen is absurd at face value, because for them, in some policy respects, Trump would actually be more preferable.

This
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 05:29:45 AM »

And this
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2017, 10:15:54 AM »

pls leave. would be hillarious to see him become a nobody independent
He didn't threaten to leave I watched the interview he just said he wouldn't support a GOP that was anti immigration and trade then tapper asked if he is planning on leaving the party he said no he's gonna fight to fix it

Yeah, but that's not as fun as this BS title!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2017, 11:02:36 AM »

Kasich should become a moderate Democrat. I'd support him over Bernard or Warren.

Even if his temperment fits a Democratic Party that is solely focused on opposing Trump, his ideology is absolutely, 110%, undeniably more in line with the GOP than the Democratic Party, and he'd be even more out of place if he switched.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2017, 12:02:08 PM »

Republicans should keep their trash to their own party.

Better idea: You become a Moderate Republican and stop pretending you're even remotely left wing.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2017, 12:47:34 PM »

Daily reminder that John Kasich ran for president in 2000 as a conservative alternative to George W. Bush
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2017, 12:55:19 PM »

Daily reminder that John Kasich ran for president in 2000 as a conservative alternative to George W. Bush

Yes on fiscal conservatism while bush ran on social conservatism.
Rjjr77
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »

Actually I have to disagree with this, so much of the presidential primary is about momentum. Had Kasich dropped out after Nevada (as he should have) Rubio wins VA and MN on super tuesday. This entirely changes the narrative, Rubio was down double digits in polling on VA and his victory would have been the talk of the race, and would have shown trump as far more vulnerable. Had Carson also dropped out after NV as he should have, Cruz most likely wins Arkansas. 

If actors in this primary acted rationally Trumps momentum would have been severely blunted on Super Tuesday, and would have possibly changed the entire campaign narrative to show a more beatable trump. Kasich staying in the race gave trump several states.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2017, 01:41:48 PM »

And he wasn't a freaking robotic empty suit with no accomplishments.
Rjjr77
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2017, 01:44:17 PM »

I preferred and still do prefer Rubio to Kasich. Kasich is a jerk with no accomplishments. I'd take a robot over a jerk anyday
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2017, 01:47:11 PM »

I preferred and still do prefer Rubio to Kasich. Kasich is a jerk with no accomplishments. I'd take a robot over a jerk anyday
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2017, 02:05:34 PM »

And I am the opposite. Rubio crumpled into endorsing Trump like a little boy. When a party forces me to choose between Rubio, Cruz, or Trump, it’s time for me to leave that party and become an independent. I have never seen a more fluffed up and overrated candidate than Rubio.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2017, 02:37:45 PM »

M

I preferred and still do prefer Rubio to Kasich. Kasich is a jerk with no accomplishments. I'd take a robot over a jerk anyway

No accomplishments lol:

Kasich has had more conservative accomplishments then most republicans by far

In the house :

- he balenced the budget when he was the budget chairman in the house

- was not a hypocrite when it came to fiscal issues (supported cutting waste even when that waste was supported by his own party )

- got welfare reform passed

As governor:

- turned an deficit into a surplus

- reformed Ohio criminal justice system

- helped turn around Ohio Economy (and make it the best out of any state in that region )

which current  republicans have this type of record , and the ones who don't how are they better than Kasich and why should they get to define what the GOP is over Kasich .

Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2017, 02:46:59 PM »

North Carolina Yankee, your analysis is spot on.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2017, 02:51:20 PM »

Charlie Crist 2.0? I'll pass.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2017, 03:04:28 PM »

Charlie Crist is, at least, moderate. John Kasich only appears moderate because of how far right the GOP has become.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2017, 03:29:50 PM »

Charlie Crist is, at least, moderate. John Kasich only appears moderate because of how far right the GOP has become.

Kasich is no moderate, but I think he has somewhat moderated from his days as a Gingrichite deficit hawk.
uti2

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2017, 03:40:22 PM »

Actually I have to disagree with this, so much of the presidential primary is about momentum. Had Kasich dropped out after Nevada (as he should have) Rubio wins VA and MN on super tuesday. This entirely changes the narrative, Rubio was down double digits in polling on VA and his victory would have been the talk of the race, and would have shown trump as far more vulnerable. Had Carson also dropped out after NV as he should have, Cruz most likely wins Arkansas.  

If actors in this primary acted rationally Trumps momentum would have been severely blunted on Super Tuesday, and would have possibly changed the entire campaign narrative to show a more beatable trump. Kasich staying in the race gave trump several states.

Without Kasich, it would've been a very tight race in VA, but it's hard to call him a spoiler when rubio came in fourth place in a number of states behind Kasich.  Do you not understand the irony in hating Kasich for being moderate when his voters are almost exclusively moderates? If you do the math and give a two-thirds margin to him and one-third to Trump, it evens out.

Anyway, the only thing that would've done is improved Rubio's margins a bit to getting more delegates which would have additionally come at the expense of Cruz. It would've just tanked Cruz's momentum after Rubio's defeat in FL to offset any impact Kasich had on Cruz's chances on the Trump v. Cruz finale.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies