$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:48:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 79
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 111972 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1625 on: December 02, 2017, 07:19:41 AM »

Running on raising taxes is always gonna be super risky and democrats knows it. That's why they are so depressed right now and probably why the GOP end up supporting this terrible bill. Even if it is unpopular it is probably electorally powerful because it is so easy to attack anyone who is running on higher taxes.

Eating the rich, especially when they are now being subsidized even more isn't a terrible idea. I'm worried about the Democrats in 2020 complaining about how Trump is a sugar daddy for deplorables the same way Romney complained about punks and bums voting for more welfare for themselves.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1626 on: December 02, 2017, 07:45:46 AM »

Yep. I am going to urge "tough sister" TG to come in here to restore order or something. I am getting too old to handle mass insurrections like this. Anyway, we have way too many posts here that are borderline personal attacks, and chat about your beliefs suck even more than mine, and so forth. It is very much like recess at an elementary school play yard. Odd since the minimum posting age here is 14.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1627 on: December 02, 2017, 08:17:55 AM »

Yep. I am going to urge "tough sister" TG to come in here to restore order or something. I am getting too old to handle mass insurrections like this. Anyway, we have way too many posts here that are borderline personal attacks, and chat about your beliefs suck even more than mine, and so forth. It is very much like recess at an elementary school play yard. Odd since the minimum posting age here is 14.

With current Global Top Standards of "decorum" being the way they are, who is anyone to judge?
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1628 on: December 02, 2017, 08:40:48 AM »

Good.

When was the last time Americans got a tax cut ? Can't remember.

You're kidding, right?
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #1629 on: December 02, 2017, 09:07:30 AM »

Running on raising taxes is always gonna be super risky and democrats knows it. That's why they are so depressed right now and probably why the GOP end up supporting this terrible bill. Even if it is unpopular it is probably electorally powerful because it is so easy to attack anyone who is running on higher taxes.

If Democrats ran on taxing the rich they'd easily win. There's far more middle class people than rich people in America.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1630 on: December 02, 2017, 09:40:32 AM »

But the benefits all go to the Master Class this time.

If I were 30 years younger and had the chance and means with which to emigrate, I would, especially if I had children. A political system that puts the enrichment of elites above all else and treats formal education as seditious is a place for only the super-rich and those willing to be consigned to losing.

It would be far easier to learn a Slavic language than to do well in the aristocratic America now forming.

Don't give up on the US! In many ways a fantastic country, that is just currently on a wrong path. I live in a great country, but I have to say that I also loved the one year I lived in the US more than 20 years. That's why I still love the country and still follow US politics after all this time. If the democrats can find a way to get people to freakin' vote, then everything is there for the taking to make the US as great as it could be!

OK, the Soviet Union had a rich cultural heritage, a fine scientific community, and a commitment to rapid economic growth, too. Lots of people thought Nazi Germany awesome too with its colorful, focused pageantry, its full employment (any country can get full employment if it pays starvation wages), and its dazzling new superhighways, which was easy enough -- as long as one didn't pay attention to those sorrowful people with yellow Stars of David.

The only good thing that I can see is that the Reactionaries aren't tampering with the electoral process. But this said, Master Classes elsewhere have taken power quickly and completely and have not yielded power that they do not want to lose, especially when such compromises their class privilege.

We now live in the Jim Crow South without the overt racism, which is awful. That's better than a world of concentration camps and torture chambers, or for that matter, the Jim Crow South with the overt racism....

I am not convinced about any goodness of the American people which would manifest itself in electoral results. The President acts like a despot, and his agenda serves people who want everything and are ready to take it. I have seen many cases in history in which the Master Class, seeing its class privilege under threat, turns to tyranny and mass murder to enforce its will.

I hate Donald Trump, and I hate the Republican Party. I see the degradation of political discourse as official truth, even on scientific matters of which the President is grossly ignorant, is identical with the blathering of a dictatorial leader. I see one Party having completed the transition to a cadre party characteristic of fascism, Communism, or Ba'athism. I see politics in part as a desire to take revenge upon people who voted 'wrong' in the last election and are unlikely to vote 'right' the next time. This is the ugliest time in American history (ruling out racism that America took decades to even alleviate) since the Civil War. At the least America came out of the Great Depression as a better country than it went in.

Maybe that is what it will take.

We have been on a binge of economic elitism for nearly forty years, with a few little corrections for a couple of years with the Clinton and Obama Presidencies. Nothing has reduced the arrogance and economic sadism of our economic elites. They let Obama protect their assets from enduring the sort of economic meltdown that lasted for three harsh years by arresting it after a year and a half. Then those elites bought the government in stages until those elites have control of everything.

Bleak as the gray line suggests things could get, the Great Depression had one salubrious effect: America came out of it better than it went in. The economic elites were disabused of any sense of superiority of the masses. America began to have faith in government and small business (the 1930s were a good time for starting a small business due to cheap labor, cheap rents, cheap inventories, and customer loyalty... if you owned a grocery store and hired a kid from a large family, then you might get that family's grocery budget... by the end of the 1930s few people had nostalgia for anything about the 1920s except perhaps to get some youth back.

Nothing smashes elite arrogance as effectively as does an economic downturn that those elites cannot escape. The economic elites are going to rule America as long as they can get away with it, and if they must murder democracy to keep their class privilege they will. After all, political prisoners are easy to exploit and completely expendable. 

I'm not too scared. I have a hibachi. In a time like this, I realize that there are worse dance partners than the Grim Reaper. 
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1631 on: December 02, 2017, 09:40:59 AM »

A bill with F_CKING illegible hand written edits in the margins was passed! F_CK REPUBLICANS AND THEIR VOTERS.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1632 on: December 02, 2017, 10:17:14 AM »

One thing that I just noticed about the brackets thresholds is that for Head of Households beyond, say 70K in income, it treats them the same as singles whereas before they were in between single and married jointly.  This is another aggressive move to close the marriage gap toward the top income brackets.  This is totally awesome.  If the closing of the gap between singles and married couples at the top is about assortative mating then this is just about removing incentives for  single parenthood.   Totally great on both parts.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1633 on: December 02, 2017, 10:19:13 AM »

To make things simple I am now just rooting for House to pass this bill as it and call it  a day.  A great policy victory. GOP will get hammered in 2018 but it is worth it from my point of view.  The short term stimulus would mean that Trump will head into 2020 with a solid record of economic growth and could even win re-election which would delay another 4 years from Dems trying to reverse some of this.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #1634 on: December 02, 2017, 10:25:42 AM »

To make things simple I am now just rooting for House to pass this bill as it and call it  a day.  A great policy victory. GOP will get hammered in 2018 but it is worth it from my point of view.  The short term stimulus would mean that Trump will head into 2020 with a solid record of economic growth and could even win re-election which would delay another 4 years from Dems trying to reverse some of this.

In what ways are huge deficit spending and further decreasing revenue thereby incurring more deficit spending a victory? This bill is sure to do that and to make the math work you need to do cuts. Republicans won't cut or streamline discretionary but will only cut non-discretionary items like SS, Medicare, and Medicaid. Those programs could remain solvent with simple fixes, not decimation.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1635 on: December 02, 2017, 10:29:48 AM »

Regardless of how you feel about its contents, this bill's passage has been an utter disaster for republicans. They handled this worse than democrats did on O-Care. Republicans have gotten lazy since winning both house of congress and its going to cost them immensely in 2018.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1636 on: December 02, 2017, 10:41:43 AM »

Regardless of how you feel about its contents, this bill's passage has been an utter disaster for republicans. They handled this worse than democrats did on O-Care. Republicans have gotten lazy since winning both house of congress and its going to cost them immensely in 2018.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1637 on: December 02, 2017, 10:56:51 AM »

A bill with F_CKING illegible hand written edits in the margins was passed! F_CK REPUBLICANS AND THEIR VOTERS.

This is all highly irregular. Rushed legislation with no effort to win over the other side?

This is what goes on under dictatorships.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1638 on: December 02, 2017, 11:00:19 AM »

You can just tell it was a Republican too: bad handwriting and tons of basic spelling mistakes
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1639 on: December 02, 2017, 11:19:49 AM »

You can just tell it was a Republican too: bad handwriting and tons of basic spelling mistakes

Which themselves will bring up Constitutional questions.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #1640 on: December 02, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »

well republicans are gonna republican.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1641 on: December 02, 2017, 11:30:31 AM »

I'm waiting for someone to discover a typo that changes intent, something like a reduction in taxes on boats being written as "boots". Smiley
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1642 on: December 02, 2017, 11:43:34 AM »

I'm waiting for someone to discover a typo that changes intent, something like a reduction in taxes on boats being written as "boots". Smiley

In one state some drug offenders had to be released because the statute prohibited "ethamphetamine" instead of "methamphetamine". 
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1643 on: December 02, 2017, 12:01:16 PM »

Didn't that basically happen to Obamacare?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1644 on: December 02, 2017, 12:06:13 PM »

It's morning in America.  Thank you!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1645 on: December 02, 2017, 12:16:57 PM »

Didn't that basically happen to Obamacare?

Not to this level.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1646 on: December 02, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »

This is one of the monumental events of the 21st century! As bad as 9/11 was is as good as this will be. Religious school subsidies - I never even conceived something that great could get thrown in. My self-worth has skyrocketed overnight!

And Trump is fulfilling his promise to make this Christmas the greatest one ever. I do believe in mine King. Smiley
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1647 on: December 02, 2017, 12:22:24 PM »

In one state some drug offenders had to be released because the statute prohibited "ethamphetamine" instead of "methamphetamine". 

How did this post become the #1 search result of "ethamphetamine typo in law" in google.  I think you made this up now.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1648 on: December 02, 2017, 12:23:02 PM »

Clownish economist and dictator enabler/supporter Friedrich Hayek claimed that Keynesian economic policies were a 'road to serfdom,' but, clearly it's (non economist) Ayn Rand inspired tax policies like this that are far more likely to make all but millionaires (or multi millionaires) serfs.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1649 on: December 02, 2017, 12:50:31 PM »

This is one of the monumental events of the 21st century! As bad as 9/11 was is as good as this will be. Religious school subsidies - I never even conceived something that great could get thrown in. My self-worth has skyrocketed overnight!

And Trump is fulfilling his promise to make this Christmas the greatest one ever. I do believe in mine King. Smiley

Wow, I didn't even know about those subsidies.  Merry Christmas indeed!
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies