$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 08:59:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 79
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 112544 times)
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: November 29, 2017, 07:14:10 PM »

I can see Collins and either Corker or maybe Kennedy voting no but I'm unsure about where a third no could come from

McCain wouldn’t surprise me, he sounds pretty unhappy with the bill and would love to milk being the deciding vote for all the attention he can.

Based McCain
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #801 on: November 29, 2017, 07:24:51 PM »

I'm not going to straight up panic yet. If "the Trigger" is in the senate bill, I expect it to be removed in conference which might freak out Corker and the upcoming Byrd Bath probably endangers Murkowski's vote.  Regardless of what happens, we've got atleast another week of this crap.

Corker and everyone besides Collins and Murkowski and McCain were/are always and always will be yeses. Don't kid yourself

I'm not going to straight up panic yet. If "the Trigger" is in the senate bill, I expect it to be removed in conference which might freak out Corker and the upcoming Byrd Bath probably endangers Murkowski's vote.  Regardless of what happens, we've got atleast another week of this crap.

There will be much moaning and gnashing of teeth by various Republicans along the way, but eventually this will pass in some form.

I'm aware, but I've got a slim ray of hope that something screws this all up.

Remember the big nasty fight over Cap and Trade back in 09/10? That bill passed both the House and Senate, but died in conference.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #802 on: November 29, 2017, 07:25:14 PM »

It's hard to be optimistic right now.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #803 on: November 29, 2017, 08:14:26 PM »

A fiscal trigger is good, if it guarantees automatic release if revenue does not rise as projections show it would need to to recoup the loss in revenue within the years.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #804 on: November 29, 2017, 08:59:07 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2017, 10:27:05 PM by Dwarven Dragon »

The motion by Sen. Wyden to return the bill to committee has failed on a 48-51 Vote. McCain abstained.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #805 on: November 29, 2017, 10:00:40 PM »

Financial markets now pricing in in the prospects of the plan becoming law. 

The S&P 500 Financials Index is at its highest level since October 2007. Banks could see a boost to net income -- they have fewer deductions and tend to pay more in federal taxes than non financial companies

The US Dollar Spot Index has increased for a third straight day, the longest stretch in more than a month. The prospect of faster economic growth and higher interest rates supports the greenback.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #806 on: November 29, 2017, 10:08:58 PM »

The motion by Sen. Wyden to return the bill to committee has failed on a 48-51 Vote.
Good to see Wyden pulling all the stops. A top rate of 27.5% or 29.5% wouldn’t be unreasonable for the corporate rate, but these deductions on income are sneaky nonsense. We really need a top rate of 42.5% to prevent any chance of this being revenue-deficit.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #807 on: November 29, 2017, 10:26:09 PM »

The Senate Stands adjourned until 10:30 AM ET tomorrow.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #808 on: November 29, 2017, 10:43:54 PM »

Castro, gass, dwarven, yank, etc...... would you say the odds of this thing passing are above 50%?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #809 on: November 29, 2017, 11:01:41 PM »

Castro, gass, dwarven, yank, etc...... would you say the odds of this thing passing are above 50%?

I would give it an 80% chance passing.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #810 on: November 29, 2017, 11:06:50 PM »

Corker and everyone besides Collins and Murkowski and McCain were/are always and always will be yeses. Don't kid yourself

There will be much moaning and gnashing of teeth by various Republicans along the way, but eventually this will pass in some form.

I'm aware, but I've got a slim ray of hope that something screws this all up.

Remember the big nasty fight over Cap and Trade back in 09/10? That bill passed both the House and Senate, but died in conference.

No it didn't it passed the House narrowly and was never taken up by the Senate.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #811 on: November 29, 2017, 11:09:07 PM »

Yeah, but not by much - probably like 53% or something.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #812 on: November 29, 2017, 11:22:59 PM »

Currently, yes.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #813 on: November 29, 2017, 11:31:39 PM »

Democrats shouldn't be surprised by how easily some Republicans like Collins, Murkowski, and McCain have come on board after everything that happened with Trumpcare. There are some issues that will create some overlap in the interests and decisions of them and Democrats, but do not be mistaken. They are not Democrats. They will not do the things that Democrats want just because they did that thing that time that you agreed with. They are Republicans, and their interests are more closely aligned with those of the Republican Party.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #814 on: November 30, 2017, 12:31:11 AM »

Democrats shouldn't be surprised by how easily some Republicans like Collins, Murkowski, and McCain have come on board after everything that happened with Trumpcare. There are some issues that will create some overlap in the interests and decisions of them and Democrats, but do not be mistaken. They are not Democrats. They will not do the things that Democrats want just because they did that thing that time that you agreed with. They are Republicans, and their interests are more closely aligned with those of the Republican Party.

While true that they are republicans and nothing unifies republicans more than tax cuts, it is also true that both susan collins and John McCain voted against the Bush tax cuts.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #815 on: November 30, 2017, 02:31:21 AM »

It's still unclear if the Senate Final Passage Vote will be late tomorrow or Friday, but per HuffPo, Ryan is reportedly telling House Members to be prepared to take a procedural vote to create the conference committee at some point on Friday. Could be a sign that Republicans are confident they have the votes in the Senate.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #816 on: November 30, 2017, 02:36:43 AM »

It's still unclear if the Senate Final Passage Vote will be late tomorrow or Friday, but per HuffPo, Ryan is reportedly telling House Members to be prepared to take a procedural vote to create the conference committee at some point on Friday. Could be a sign that Republicans are confident they have the votes in the Senate.

If the GOP has votes in the senate, I am intrigued at which 2 they will let vote "no" for optic purposes.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #817 on: November 30, 2017, 04:58:29 AM »

I'm sure everyone's favorite RINO is jizzing up a storm right now. After all, tax cuts for the wealthy is basically the only reason s/he's a Republican.

It's better than being a Republican because you just hate the blacks Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The corporate tax cut will attract companies, spur investment and create thousands of jobs for minorities. Trump loves minorities and minorities will love Trump after they get their big fat TRUMP paycheck next year Smiley. Democrats oppose corporate tax cuts because they help minorities. SAD!

Why do you have a blue avatar again? Clearly you don't drink the kool-aid on trickle-down and white-grievance, so I'm genuinely puzzled.

Not all Republicans are Trumpists. (Most, sadly, but not all).

Well why are you? I don't think I've ever seem you argue for the standard Republicam position on anything on this forum. So what in the world is the point if you're clearly out of sync with the party? Lol

Because there is a world of the Republican Party Beyond Trump. It's increasingly, and scarily, narrowing, but it exists.

Besides, someone has to fight these bastards from the inside
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #818 on: November 30, 2017, 05:01:20 AM »

I'm sure everyone's favorite RINO is jizzing up a storm right now. After all, tax cuts for the wealthy is basically the only reason s/he's a Republican.

I'd be surprised if he loved this bill. I think he's more a Republican for historical and personal reasons. "Party of Lincoln, born and raised Republican, etc." It's more of an identity and culture thing. Kind of like the inverse of those "My grandpappy would hit me with a coal shovel if I ever voted Republican" right wingers that used to dominate West Virginia, but have finally either died or switched parties once the Democrats had the nerve to betray them and elect a darkie I mean uhh...economic anxiety! Yeah, that's it.

Robert Byrd(From the Mid 1980s on) and Jay Rockefeller were the furthest thing from  Right Wingers
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #819 on: November 30, 2017, 05:04:24 AM »

I'm being factual

I dislike the deficit side of the bill but to claim it raises taxes on the middle class is insanity

The cut for the middle class is much smaller than the cut for the rich, and the Poor may actually see a tax increase.

um no the standard deduction will be doubled so their taxes will be cut.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #820 on: November 30, 2017, 07:33:11 AM »
« Edited: November 30, 2017, 07:34:51 AM by Cal »

I'm really dumb about stuff like this, but I'm worried, depressed over it, and need some help understanding it. If/when this passes, will it be for forever or can it be changed/overruled (for lack of a better word at the moment) if Dems win President and majorities in both Chambers in 2020? If it actually starts doing all the bad things opponents are saying it will, can we have another vote on tax reform and redo/undo this in another Congress? Tax stuff like this goes over my head and I'm totally ignorant about it.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #821 on: November 30, 2017, 08:31:59 AM »

I'm really dumb about stuff like this, but I'm worried, depressed over it, and need some help understanding it. If/when this passes, will it be for forever or can it be changed/overruled (for lack of a better word at the moment) if Dems win President and majorities in both Chambers in 2020? If it actually starts doing all the bad things opponents are saying it will, can we have another vote on tax reform and redo/undo this in another Congress? Tax stuff like this goes over my head and I'm totally ignorant about it.

I'm at a loss myself but it makes me feel better that a bunch of tax wonks on Twitter seem optimistic of this bill.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #822 on: November 30, 2017, 08:34:54 AM »

Well, at some stage in the future the Dems will take over the Presidency and have a majority in the House and Senate.  I think they will, like the GOP, keep parts of this existing tax plan (assuming some variation does pass and get signed into law) but change others in keeping with the Dem's priorities. So some of this plan will survive and others will be changed.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #823 on: November 30, 2017, 08:36:47 AM »

I'm being factual

I dislike the deficit side of the bill but to claim it raises taxes on the middle class is insanity

The cut for the middle class is much smaller than the cut for the rich, and the Poor may actually see a tax increase.

um no the standard deduction will be doubled so their taxes will be cut.

This is a canard. Double the standard deduction but get rid of the personal exemption so the benefits are very marginal, especially as compared to rising marginal rates from the use of chained CPI. For poor families with more than one kid, it's an immediate tax hike.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #824 on: November 30, 2017, 08:38:28 AM »

Well, at some stage in the future the Dems will take over the Presidency and have a majority in the House and Senate.  I think they will, like the GOP, keep parts of this existing tax plan (assuming some variation does pass and get signed into law) but change others in keeping with the Dem's priorities. So some of this plan will survive and others will be changed.

Our corporate tax was out of whack with the rest of world, and a high rate with lots of deductions is inefficient. Moving to a territorial system and a lower rate is defensible, if they broadened the base. Unfortunately I think it will take a future administration to correct for the big giveaway built into this reform.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies