How much do you know about Frankfurt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:35:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How much do you know about Frankfurt
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How much do you know about Frankfurt  (Read 4268 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2005, 10:24:10 AM »
« edited: August 25, 2005, 10:17:39 AM by Jealous, Manipulative and Very Sexual Lewis Trondheim »

(these are supposed to be getting progressively harder)

1. What German state is the city located in?
SOLVED. Hessen
2. How many inhabitants does the city have (roughly)?
STILL OPEN
3. What state did it belong to until 1866?
SOLVED, Frankfurt.
4. Which two rivers flow through it?
Main and STILL OPEN
5. How many central banks are located here?
SOLVED. Three.
6. Is the city of Frankfort, Kentucky, named for Frankfurt am Main? Is the city of Frankfurt an der Oder (on the German-Polish border) named for Frankfurt am Main?
SOLVED. No, and yes.
7. What was the original intended purpose of the HR building, now used by the state broadcasting company?
STILL OPEN. New hint: Built in 1948/9.
8. Give an explanation for the weird shape of Frankfurt am Main II Bundestag constituency.
STILL OPEN, although someone correctly mentioned the river as part of the boundary.
9. What were the 3 previous uses of the areal (and in the latter 2 cases main building) of Frankfurt uni's Westend campus?
The last one (US headquarters) has been found.
10. Who is the first attested Native of Frankfurt, and on what day was he born?
STILL OPEN, some hints scattered across the text.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 11:02:06 AM »

I know it's in the centre...Hessen?

Always depends on your definition with cities...8 million?

Ought to be the same as number 1... Wink though, because of the year, I'll say Austria.

Main! (Frankfurt am Main, hello...) and, eh...Rhen?

Heh. Tons, I'm sure. Wait, central banks. Hm. 1? (the Bundesbank if it still counts.)

6. Is the city of Frankfort, Kentucky, named for Frankfurt am Main? Is the city of Frankfurt an der Oder (on the German-Polish border)?
Not sure i understand the 2nd part here...

7. What was the original intended purpose of the HR building, now used by the state broadcasting company?
No idea

8. Give an explanation for the weird shape of Frankfurt am Main II Bundestag constituency.
Gerrymandering?

9. What were the 3 previous uses of the areal (and in the latter 2 cases main building) of Frankfurt uni's Westend campus?
Don't know...
A Bishop maybe? No idea really...

You must be logged in to read this quote.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 11:09:22 AM »

I know it's in the centre...Hessen?
ZING - Correct.
Always depends on your definition with cities...8 million?
No. (And there is an exact definition of the size of the city. Although 8 mio would be way to high even for the agglomeration.)
Ought to be the same as number 1... Wink though, because of the year, I'll say Austria.
No. And there's no reason why it ought to be the same as no. 1. Wink
Main! (Frankfurt am Main, hello...) ZING. Correct.
and, eh...Rhen?
No. The Rhine is not far away - inside the agglomeration, actually, but it's not in the city. The river I'm talking about is a tributary of the Main.
Heh. Tons, I'm sure. Wait, central banks. Hm. 1? (the Bundesbank if it still counts.) There's more than that. But yes, the Bundesbank is located in Frankfurt, and yes, I was counting it.

6. Is the city of Frankfort, Kentucky, named for Frankfurt am Main? Is the city of Frankfurt an der Oder (on the German-Polish border) ?
Not sure i understand the 2nd part here...
I've edited the question to meet your concerns.

No idea

Gerrymandering? No.

Don't know...

A Bishop maybe? No idea really...No bishop. But yeah, a powerful person. More powerful than a bishop.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 11:26:15 AM »

Ah, now I get that question...ok. Hm. Frankfort sounsd like a Fort named after someone named Frank, so no. I'm guessing that Frankfurt is just one of those names with a certain meaning and that it emerged independently. So no again.

If not a Bishop then maybe a German-Roman Emperor? Otto maybe...(the only one I could think of right now...got more names in supply otherwise... Wink)

I was thinking of the German-Austrian war of 1866. But it seems that was a dead end then. I know that Bavaria, Baden and Würtemberg were the last states to join Germany and that they did it because of the Franco-German war 1870-1871. And all of this is just showing off trying to hide that I have no idea about the answer.

With central banks do you mean national banks like the Bundesbank? Are there state versions of them as well? I don't get why anyone would put such a bank outside of their own country...
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 11:27:24 AM »

With central banks do you mean national banks like the Bundesbank? Are there state versions of them as well? I don't get why anyone would put such a bank outside of their own country...

Possible hint: Jean-Claude Trichet Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 11:30:08 AM »

Possible hint: Jean-Claude Trichet Wink

Yeah, I thought of putting the ECB there, though I wasn't sure whether they dared put it in Germany. Tongue

But that's still only 2, I got the impression that there were more.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 11:32:43 AM »

Ah, now I get that question...ok. Hm. Frankfort sounsd like a Fort named after someone named Frank, so no. I'm guessing that Frankfurt is just one of those names with a certain meaning and that it emerged independently. So no again.
ZING. Right on the first one. Frankfort, KY, is named for a guy surnamed Frank (who was an immigrant from Hessen, though. Smiley ) Wrong on the second one, though. That one was actually named for this Frankfurt. There's a second Straßburg not far east from it (well it's now got a different name, as it's now in Poland.) And Berlin was once a double city, one part being named Kölln. All three founded about the same time, as colonial german-populated cities in slavic-populated country. All three named directly for cities in Germany.

Not a German Emperor.

No, it wasn't. Austria is not the only country to have been involved in that war on the losing side.
You forgot Hessen-Darmstadt. And no, that's not the correct answer.

Yes, there are.
But think of OldEurope's suggestion as well.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 11:45:22 AM »

And the third question is really mean. Cheesy
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 11:48:55 AM »

And the third question is really mean. Cheesy
Why? Cheesy
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 12:02:12 PM »

1. What German state is the city located in? Hesse
2. How many inhabitants does the city have (roughly)? 2 million
3. What state did it belong to until 1866? Prussia ?
4. Which two rivers flow through it? Main and Weser?
5. How many central banks are located here? 3
6. Is the city of Frankfort, Kentucky, named for Frankfurt am Main? - No
Is the city of Frankfurt an der Oder (on the German-Polish border) named for Frankfurt am Main? -No, I thought it predates it.
7. What was the original intended purpose of the HR building, now used by the state broadcasting company? No idea
8. Give an explanation for the weird shape of Frankfurt am Main II Bundestag constituency. Rivers maybe?
9. What were the 3 previous uses of the areal (and in the latter 2 cases main building) of Frankfurt uni's Westend campus? No idea
10. Who is the first attested Native of Frankfurt, and on what day was he born? No idea, No idea
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 12:11:22 PM »

Nobody will guess it, because the answer is just too obvious... well, sort of.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 12:18:36 PM »

2. How many inhabitants does the city have (roughly)? 2 million. Still way too high, sorry.
3. What state did it belong to until 1866? Prussia ? That's the state it belonged to from 1866 to 1945. To the winner, the spoils.
4. Which two rivers flow through it? Main and Weser? No. We're looking for a smaller river here, guys. Probably too hard for you Americans. Probably too hard for some Germans.
5. How many central banks are located here? 3. ZING. Correct. The Bundesbank, the European Central Bank, the Helaba (state bank of Hessen and Thuringia.)
7. What was the original intended purpose of the HR building, now used by the state broadcasting company? No idea.
8. Give an explanation for the weird shape of Frankfurt am Main II Bundestag constituency. Rivers maybe? That is part of the answer, actually.
9. What were the 3 previous uses of the areal (and in the latter 2 cases main building) of Frankfurt uni's Westend campus? No idea. Hint: Americans should be able to know part of this one, actually. Smiley
10. Who is the first attested Native of Frankfurt, and on what day was he born? No idea, No idea
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 12:30:58 PM »

To #9, possibly some sort of Occupation HQ? I know the US used Frankfurt in some capacity.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 12:52:16 PM »

Lets see.  Wasn't Frankfurt bombed many times in the last 100 years?  Frankfurt voted for the NSDAP?  In any case, it is a dirty, dirty city and the air stank.  Although the countryside around Frankfurt is nice and clean.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 04:26:17 PM »

To #9, possibly some sort of Occupation HQ? I know the US used Frankfurt in some capacity.
Yeah, it was the headquarters of US troops in Germany. (The cafe down in the basement is still called the Eisenhower Rotunda, as it was when it was still American soldiers using it, btw.) It had earlier uses though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 04:28:33 PM »

Lets see.  Wasn't Frankfurt bombed many times in the last 100 years? 
Yeah, but only between 1942 and 1945. Unless you count the bulldozing of what was left of the Old Town in 1951. An utterly unpardonable sin if you ask me.
By less than the country at large though.
I don't like cities that aren't a little dusty.
You know that there's far more plant and animal wildlife in Western Europe's major cities than in Western Europe's "countryside"?
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 05:26:11 PM »

3) I must be Hessen. Rhur area was part of Prussia but Frankfurt was not.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2005, 05:28:26 PM »

No. Wrong. Meditate on OldEurope's hint, and the scales should fall from your eyes. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 03:29:22 AM »

Solutions later today, as many of these were probably unsolvable by cursory googling.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 05:57:48 AM »

No. Wrong. Meditate on OldEurope's hint, and the scales should fall from your eyes. Smiley
Right now I'm watching a map about early 19th century Germany. It doesn't show clearly which state Frankfurt belonged. The map shows at least three possibly choices depending how you define "a state". I'm not posting any answer, because I'm not here for cheating. Smiley

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 06:03:05 AM »

Right now I'm watching a map about early 19th century Germany. It doesn't show clearly which state Frankfurt belonged. The map shows at least three possibly choices depending how you define "a state". I'm not posting any answer, because I'm not here for cheating. Smiley

Please do. I wouldn't consider it cheating. (Plus, something tells me you'll get it wrong...something about your post, that is. Smiley )
Jens
Angola

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 07:54:28 AM »

Ausfart, the largest one (its everywhere)

About 2 million and they are all naked. All Germans becomes nudist whenever there is water nearby

Pfalz zu Klein-Sonderhausen-Gotha-Hildburghausen unt Reuss zu Nieder-Oberlausitz mit Hohenzollern unt Kartoflen

Main and 5th

Plenty. They need some place to put their cloth when they run around naked (come on, central banks just arn't funny;) )

6. Is the city of Frankfort, Kentucky, named for Frankfurt am Main? Is the city of Frankfurt an der Oder (on the German-Polish border) named for Frankfurt am Main?

Raststelle

It has something to do with a bad currywürst......

The prince von Pfalz zu Klein-Sonderhausen-Gotha-Hildburghausen unt Reuss zu Nieder-Oberlausitz mit Hohenzollern unt Kartoflen used to hold parties there with is cousins der Graf von Sachsen-Coburg-Weimar unt Shaumburg-Lippe unt Lippe-Delmort mit Braunschweig-Lüneburg-Kalenberg mit Sinalco and Der Herzug von Holstein-Gottorp-Glückstadt-Razteburg-Lauenburg-Schalke04 unt ein Einbecker, bitte

After that thing wasn't really the same...

The son of the prince von Pfalz zu Klein-Sonderhausen-Gotha-Hildburghausen unt Reuss zu Nieder-Oberlausitz mit Hohenzollern unt Kartoflen and his lovely wife, Helga, Dutchess of Anhalt-Dessau, Anhalt-Rosslau, Anhalt-Köthen, Hinter- unt Vorpommern, der Grosser Spandauer Hildesheim

He was born on the second of february and the priest finished writing his name 2 days later

I am in a silly mood today Grin
Jens
Angola

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2005, 07:55:45 AM »

None, free city of Frankfurt (and they are wery proud of it)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2005, 07:58:28 AM »

ZING. Indeed. We were our own country.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2005, 08:00:37 AM »

ZING. Indeed. We were our own country.
Hurray, but I still like the good Prince von Pfalz zu Klein-Sonderhausen-Gotha-Hildburghausen unt Reuss zu Nieder-Oberlausitz mit Hohenzollern unt Kartoflen Grin
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies