2018 New Brunswick election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:29:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2018 New Brunswick election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Author Topic: 2018 New Brunswick election  (Read 34253 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: September 24, 2018, 09:59:05 PM »

Final poll came in, PCs bested PA by 35 votes in Bay du Vin.

22/21/3/3
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2018, 12:10:16 AM »

Who’s ready for another Strong and Stable® conservative government?
JoeyOCanada
Canada

« Reply #252 on: September 25, 2018, 05:58:18 AM »

Brian Gallant and the Liberals will get the first chance to govern but chances are, they won't be commanding confidence of the house. I say NBers head back to the polls in 6 months, 1 year max.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #253 on: September 25, 2018, 06:59:13 AM »

Brian Gallant and the Liberals will get the first chance to govern but chances are, they won't be commanding confidence of the house. I say NBers head back to the polls in 6 months, 1 year max.

This.

Wonder how the next one will go.
adma
« Reply #254 on: September 25, 2018, 07:30:53 AM »

And remember: unlike the BCNDP, the NB PCs are *significantly* behind the Libs in vote totals, as opposed to seat totals.

One thing that eternally puzzles me about the NB NDP is why they've never had Acadian leadership or pursued anything other than a too-backhanded-for-its-own-good Acadian strategy--I mean, the federal Yvon Godin legacy together with the constituencies where they actually have shown provincial ballast (including in the present election) suggest that they could be making hay that way; but, no...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #255 on: September 25, 2018, 07:47:15 AM »

Map

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #256 on: September 25, 2018, 07:47:48 AM »

And remember: unlike the BCNDP, the NB PCs are *significantly* behind the Libs in vote totals, as opposed to seat totals.

One thing that eternally puzzles me about the NB NDP is why they've never had Acadian leadership or pursued anything other than a too-backhanded-for-its-own-good Acadian strategy--I mean, the federal Yvon Godin legacy together with the constituencies where they actually have shown provincial ballast (including in the present election) suggest that they could be making hay that way; but, no...

Had Godin become leader years ago, think of how different things would've been...
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #257 on: September 25, 2018, 08:23:45 AM »

Had Godin become leader years ago, think of how different things would've been...

Roger Duguay?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #258 on: September 25, 2018, 08:32:06 AM »

Roger Duguay?

Fun fact: Duguay is running for the NDP in the Quebec election Cheesy
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #259 on: September 25, 2018, 09:24:57 AM »

Wow... no regional divide here, at all eh Tongue

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #260 on: September 25, 2018, 09:31:35 AM »

It's not quite the same circumstances but this bodies well for the Tories federally in NB next year.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #261 on: September 25, 2018, 09:58:15 AM »

Gallant spoke to the LG, who told him to test confidence. He also spoke to the Greens and talked about many shared values. PA says they haven't talked to Higgs yet and are running a Twitter poll on who to support.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #262 on: September 25, 2018, 10:39:35 AM »

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #263 on: September 25, 2018, 11:00:54 AM »

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #264 on: September 25, 2018, 12:00:20 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2018, 12:03:37 PM by 136or142 »

1.The Wikipedia numbers are slightly different than my totals for some reason (they have more voters.) I compiled my numbers from the Elections New Brunswick website. There was not a single riding I noticed where all the polls had not come in.  However, it doesn't change the totals significantly.  

2.Fairness has nothing to do with life, but this result was really not fair to the Liberals.  While it has been noted that the Liberals dominated Northern New Brunswick which gave them the popular vote win, in fact, from the Wiki regional breakdown, the Liberals came ahead of the Progressive Conservatives in 4 of the 6 New Brunswick regions.  The Liberals came first in 21 ridings, second in 20, and third in just 7 (4th in one.)

3.I think something of an unusual result.  Of the 27 ridings the Liberals won in 2014, 19 incumbents ran again and just 14 were reelected.  In the 8 ridings with no Liberal incumbent (one ran as an independent) the Liberals held 7 of those ridings.  

4.I think clearly the main reason the Liberals could not benefit from the People's Alliance splitting the vote with the P.Cs is because the ridings the P.A did best in were mostly P.C held ridings and the Liberals did not gain any seats from the P.Cs.  They came close in a couple of them, especially Oromocto-Lincoln-Fredericton where the P.C incumbent Jody Carr did not reoffer, and the Liberals ran John Fife, a retired Army Colonel.

5.Of the six ridings the Liberals lost, 3 went P.C, 2 went Green and 1 went P.A.

6.The stupidest loss I think had to be Shippagan-Lameque-Miscou, a riding in the otherwise heavily Liberal north where Wilfred Roussel lost to 'star' P.C candidate Robert Gauvin (he is the son of a former P.C MLA.)  Apparently this loss was a result of federal cuts to E.I benefits to the many seasonal workers in the riding.  The reason I think this loss was stupid was because I saw a clip on this riding and the P.C voters in this riding were interviewed at a Blaine Higgs rally in the riding and they said both "we're not happy with the E.I cuts" and then said "we believe that Blaine Higgs will solve the financial mess, the large deficits, that Brian Gallant has created."

I realize that the E.I program is federal, but this attitude clearly stems from the idiotic notion that when taxes are sent to governments, that governments 'waste' the money by somehow either burning it, locking it in a safe or otherwise 'wasting' it.  I have no doubt that if you were to interview many Canadians and explained the reality of government spending (nearly all money goes to public sector workers and much of the rest is sent out in various payments to people), that sending E.I payments to people who work less than half a year would be an example of where most people would say that cuts could be made.

7.The NDP received over 10% of the vote in four ridings.  One of those ridings, Dieppe, may have been because the NDP candidate Joyce Richardson might be a fairly high profile lawyer, but it might also be because the Green Party did not run a candidate in that riding.  She received 14.6% of the vote.  The second highest vote getter for the NDP was leader Jennifer McKenzie at 14.7%.  The other two ridings where the NDP received over 10% of the vote were two Northern ridings:  Tracadie-Sheila where Francis Duguay received 14.6% of the vote and Bathurst East-Nepisiguit-Saint Isidore where Jean Maurice Landry received 29.6% of the vote.  Landry is the President of the Blueberry Farmers of New Brunswick.

These are the results by region based on the numbers from Elections New Brunswick.

These are my total results

Total Votes 376,923
Liberal: 143,620
P.C: 118,212
P.A: 47,709
Green: 45,173
NDP: 19,026
Other: 3,183

These are the total results posted on Wikipedia

Liberal: 143,791
P.C: 121,300
P.A: 47,860
Green: 45,186
NDP:  19,039
Other: 3,187

I'm not sure where the differences come from.  As you can clearly see, the main difference is with the P.C vote, but I don't think that would alter the regional placements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Brunswick_general_election,_2018  is where I've taken the regional breakdowns from, except for one mistake, which I haven't corrected for in these totals (sorry.)  

Northern: 61,570
Liberal: 33,973, 55.2%
P.C: 13,753, 22.3%
NDP: 6,413, 10.4%
Green: 5,652, 9.2%
P.A: 558
Other: 1,221

Miramichi: 24,313
P.A: 8,609, 35.4%
Liberal: 8,075, 33.2%
P.C: 5,727, 23.6%
Green: 972, 4.0%
NDP: 912, 3.8%
Other: 18

Southeastern: 115,461 (I mistakenly added the riding of Sussex-Fundy-St Martins in this region)
Liberal: 50,533, 43.8%
P.C: 32,569, 28.2%
Green: 16,984, 14.7%
P.A: 7,967, 6.9%
NDP: 6,011, 5.2%
Other: 1,397

Southern: 71,803? (Sussex-Fundy-St Martins should be counted in this region)
P.C: 33,300, 46.4%
Liberal: 15,051, 26.8%
P.A: 9,149, 12.7%
Green: 6,117, 8.5%
NDP: 3,609, 5.0%
Other: 382? (I may have double counted)

Capital Region: 66,931
P.C: 20,534, 30.7%
P.A: 18,440, 27.6%
Liberal: 15,051, 22.5%
Green: 11,583, 17.3%
NDP: 1,216, 1.8%
Other: 107

Upper River Valley: 36,845
Liberal: 16,742, 45.4%
P.C: 12,329, 33.5%
Green: 3,865, 10.8%
P.A: 2,986, 8.1%
NDP: 865, 2.3%
Other: 58
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #265 on: September 25, 2018, 12:28:25 PM »

6.The stupidest loss I think had to be Shippagan-Lameque-Miscou, a riding in the otherwise heavily Liberal north where Wilfred Roussel lost to 'star' P.C candidate Robert Gauvin (he is the son of a former P.C MLA.)  Apparently this loss was a result of federal cuts to E.I benefits to the many seasonal workers in the riding.  The reason I think this loss was stupid was because I saw a clip on this riding and the P.C voters in this riding were interviewed at a Blaine Higgs rally in the riding and they said both "we're not happy with the E.I cuts" and then said "we believe that Blaine Higgs will solve the financial mess, the large deficits, that Brian Gallant has created."

I realize that the E.I program is federal, but this attitude clearly stems from the idiotic notion that when taxes are sent to governments, that governments 'waste' the money by somehow either burning it, locking it in a safe or otherwise 'wasting' it.  I have no doubt that if you were to interview many Canadians and explained the reality of government spending (nearly all money goes to public sector workers and much of the rest is sent out in various payments to people), that sending E.I payments to people who work less than half a year would be an example of where most people would say that cuts could be made.

Wanting logic out of the Maritime relationship with Pogey is asking a lot...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #266 on: September 25, 2018, 12:36:17 PM »

The Wikipedia numbers come from Teddy's spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13PId5WHFO82sKgbtpimz5eABDjDsb43LuFVyrQ2_zHw/edit#gid=0
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2018, 05:34:32 PM »

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2018, 08:19:49 PM »

Hey, maybe Cardy can run for Speaker.
adma
« Reply #269 on: September 25, 2018, 09:11:01 PM »

Roger Duguay?

Aw, jeez, forgot about him.  (Then again, his tenure was kind of "forgettable".  Maybe he should have been more Bathurst-based, or something...)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #270 on: September 25, 2018, 09:23:11 PM »

Roger Duguay?

Aw, jeez, forgot about him.  (Then again, his tenure was kind of "forgettable".  Maybe he should have been more Bathurst-based, or something...)

He's running for the NDP-Q, having move to Quebec City to live with his boyfriend (he also discovered he is gay).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #271 on: September 26, 2018, 08:26:59 AM »

Roger Duguay?

He's running for the NDP-Q, having move to Quebec City to live with his boyfriend (he also discovered he is gay).

Guess he's not a priest anymore, then.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #272 on: September 26, 2018, 10:44:21 AM »

Either way, PC+PA would still have 1 more vote than Lib+Green since the Liberal would have won w/o the Green.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #273 on: September 26, 2018, 11:38:09 AM »

Either way, PC+PA would still have 1 more vote than Lib+Green since the Liberal would have won w/o the Green.
It'd be a different situation though if the Libs were even on seats with the PCs instead of one down.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #274 on: September 26, 2018, 01:13:59 PM »

It'd be a different situation though if the Libs were even on seats with the PCs instead of one down.

It seems as though it actually isn't a different situation as based on convention the Liberals still get the first chance to form the government.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies