Disrespecting the flag
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:36:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Disrespecting the flag
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Disrespecting the flag  (Read 4853 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »

Trump loves to whine about African American football players (and their allies) kneeling during the national anthem to highlight the civil rights issues championed by Black Lives Matter, which Trump claims is disrespecting the American flag.

But, what about his supposedly patriotic Americans who regularly and blatantly disrespect the flag when they outright violate the explicit text of US Flag Code Chapter 10: Respect for the Flag?

Since when is conduct violation worse than explicitly disrespecting the flag in clear violation of the section of the US Flag Code that is literally called "respect for the flag"?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 01:59:29 PM »

Good one. You got em.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 02:06:02 PM »

Since when is conduct violation worse than explicitly disrespecting the flag in clear violation of the section of the US Flag Code that is literally called "respect for the flag"?

They're all bad.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 02:08:22 PM »

They're all bad.

Why does nobody ever mention what is a blatant violation of the US Flag Code section called "Respect for the Flag" though? That's the problem. Trump and the right-wing crow about a conduct violation, but then either ignore or engage in explicit disrespect for the flag.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 02:11:31 PM »

They're all bad.

Why does nobody ever mention what is a blatant violation of the US Flag Code section called "Respect for the Flag" though? That's the problem. Trump and the right-wing crow about a conduct violation, but then either ignore or engage in explicit disrespect for the flag.

You're right. As a matter of fact, I was not aware of it. I'll make sure I do not purposely violate the code any longer going forward.

And don't make it sound like "Trump and the right-wing" are the only ones that "ignore" the code.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 02:19:18 PM »

Only one of them is done for a reason that makes Trump and his supporters uncomfortable.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 02:19:40 PM »

I do remember in 1968 when Abbie Hoffman was arrested for wearing a shirt made out of the flag as he was going to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC).  News accounts used techniques of the day to obscure the shirt; it was THAT offensive.  

Given today's merchandising of American flag button-down shirts, a posthumous apology is in order.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 02:21:32 PM »

Only one of them is done for a reason that makes Trump and his supporters uncomfortable.

I too am disturbed when Kaepernick wears "cops are pigs" socks.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 02:29:55 PM »

And don't make it sound like "Trump and the right-wing" are the only ones that "ignore" the code.

Well it ain't left-wingers trying to cram tacky flags onto every surface, product and in every orifice imaginable
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 02:35:24 PM »

I was saying Trump and the right-wing are the only ones whining about it, not that they're the only ones who do it, although, largely, they are.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 02:41:01 PM »

I do remember in 1968 when Abbie Hoffman was arrested for wearing a shirt made out of the flag as he was going to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC).  News accounts used techniques of the day to obscure the shirt; it was THAT offensive.  

Given today's merchandising of American flag button-down shirts, a posthumous apology is in order.

It's actually hilarious that he would try to do that; who knew that his legacy would be carried on even today by establishmentarian deviants at college fraternity parties?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 02:56:09 PM »

Stick to the thread topic please !
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 02:57:17 PM »

Will do. Just wanted to add that.

I too am disturbed about the disrespect for the flag.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 02:59:06 PM »

What disrespect? None of this is MODERN DAY DISRESPECTFUL.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 03:33:02 PM »

I don't really believe people are actually offended by the kneeling either I think it an extension of how are politics have quickly become so polarizing. And since African Americans are mostly Democrat the Republican took the opposing side of the issue.   
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 03:53:01 PM »

I don't really believe people are actually offended by the kneeling either I think it an extension of how are politics have quickly become so polarizing. And since African Americans are mostly Democrat the Republican took the opposing side of the issue.   

I'm not "offended" by it. They have every right to do. i just don't think it's respectful and disagree with it. 

Also lol at the idea that opposing the actions is because "they support democrats!"
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 04:57:14 PM »

^^^
I'm sure you would of hated MLK and the civil rights movement back in the 60s since the were sooo disrespectful. It's the same message from the right wing but just 50 years later.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 04:58:39 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2017, 05:08:23 PM by Acting Southern Delegate The Saint »

^^^
I'm sure you would of hated MLK and the civil rights movement back in the 60s since the were sooo disrespectful. It's the same message from the right wing but just 50 years later.

The troll is making stupid statements again.

Let's see: Do I DISAGREE with the people who live in a country where they earn over $1 million dollars to play football and decide to protest said country? YES. Do I respect their right to do so? YES.

Would I have DISAGREED with people who were suppressed by the institution of segregation, were never allowed to advance as these players have today, were never allowed to vote/express the freedom of speech, and were lynched for the color of their skin? HELL NO.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 05:08:01 PM »

This kind of "wrap myself in the flag and put a yellow magnet ribbon on the back of the SUV" kind of "patriotism" offends me on such a deep, basic level... it really angers me that they would dare to criticize someone for kneeling during the national anthem.

Conservatives idolize the flag.  They have turned it into an object of worship.  They don't give a flying f**k what that flag represents.  Only that it is there and that you go through some kind of idiotic motion to prove to them how much you "respect" it.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 05:21:13 PM »

The flag is a symbol, it’s not a god. Literally speaking, it is nothing but a piece of fabric, and simply holding it up high and not letting it touch the ground means absolutely nothing at all.

Patriotism is expressed in real and meaningful ways, nothing to do with a flag or a song.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 05:38:46 PM »

All.of those are kind of ridiculous.  Oh no some one kneeled down. Oh no someone has a flag paper plate. I guess that means the terrorists win. Out of curiousity what about those flag lapel pins? Even if I think the flag code is a joke it would be funnt if those were a violation with how upset some people got when certain politicians were not wearing them.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 05:57:46 PM »

Idolatry is a sin, kids.

This kind of "wrap myself in the flag and put a yellow magnet ribbon on the back of the SUV" kind of "patriotism" offends me on such a deep, basic level... it really angers me that they would dare to criticize someone for kneeling during the national anthem.

Conservatives idolize the flag.  They have turned it into an object of worship.  They don't give a flying f**k what that flag represents.  Only that it is there and that you go through some kind of idiotic motion to prove to them how much you "respect" it.

All of this is true.  The flag means as much to Americans as Jesus does to most American "Christians."
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2017, 06:16:36 PM »

In Poland there are laws against "insulting" state symbols such as the flag, the anthem and the coat of arms. Needles to say this if a f**king travesty.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 06:52:54 PM »

The flag is a symbol, it’s not a god. Literally speaking, it is nothing but a piece of fabric, and simply holding it up high and not letting it touch the ground means absolutely nothing at all.

Patriotism is expressed in real and meaningful ways, nothing to do with a flag or a song.

It means absolutely nothing to you. Are you now trying to force your beliefs on others?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 07:24:28 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies