The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:35:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2  (Read 220157 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: May 01, 2018, 12:36:00 PM »

Holder now suggests he won't decide on a 2020 bid until "sometime next year":

https://bcheights.com/2018/05/01/146937/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1126 on: May 02, 2018, 12:47:30 PM »

Bill Weld positioning himself for a possible 2020 bid for the Libertarian nomination:

https://reason.com/blog/2018/05/02/bill-weld-lays-groundwork-for-2020-liber

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1127 on: May 02, 2018, 02:21:37 PM »

As noted in another thread, Warren was on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night, and in the last few seconds of the interview, she gives a (present tense) denial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXoTFPjTubc

sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #1128 on: May 02, 2018, 02:29:02 PM »

Bill Weld positioning himself for a possible 2020 bid for the Libertarian nomination:

He's acting like he wants it, and pretty much all of his recent policy reconsiderations (especially on guns and foreign policy) have been in directions that would play better with the LP's base. He'll be 75, but I guess that's not too much older than Trump, and he's actually younger than Sanders and Biden.

If he doesn't run, it will be interesting to see who he throws his weight behind. Tom "Demon Sheep" Campbell was at the same CA LP convention...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1129 on: May 02, 2018, 02:42:32 PM »

He'll be 75, but I guess that's not too much older than Trump, and he's actually younger than Sanders and Biden.

In any case, I'm not sure old age has historically been a deterrent to running for prez if you're running 3rd party as opposed to being a serious contender for the nomination of one of the two major parties.  If you know you're going to lose anyway, then it probably doesn't matter much if you're old.  OTOH, if you're approaching 80, and you actually have a serious chance of winning, then you've got to think about how you'd like to spend what might be your last remaining years of good health.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1130 on: May 02, 2018, 11:05:55 PM »

The interesting thing is, if Kasich/Amash et al. don't go through with a primary challenge, Weld would actually be a credible primary opponent for Trump.
MechaBambi
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1131 on: May 03, 2018, 04:14:54 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2018, 04:21:44 AM by MechaBambi »

Bernie heading to Pennsylvania this weekend for three events:

The Larry Krasner event is a nice get, as he's recently been in the news for allowing Meek Mill to be released on bail, along with a sweeping series of sentencing reforms that make him by far the most progressive big city DA in the country. Along with the Marijuana Justice Act, it's a clear sign that Sanders is leaning hard into criminal justice in an effort to broaden his message, as well as outflank or at least match Booker's and Harris' primacy on these issues.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1132 on: May 03, 2018, 10:55:56 AM »

New Garcetti interview:

http://www.governing.com/topics/politics/gov-eric-garcetti-presidential-bid.html

MechaBambi
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1133 on: May 04, 2018, 01:11:37 AM »

Bernie heading to Pennsylvania this weekend for three events:

Somehow overlooked that he's also doing a Saturday rally in Allentown for PA15 candidate Greg Edwards (whose nomination is much less certain than that of Jess King):

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-nws-pa-7-bernie-sanders-edwards-20180428-story.html

More than an effort to inspire supporters or cultivate allies, this whole "holding three or four events in two days" thing seems increasingly like a test of Sanders' physical ability to run another national campaign.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1134 on: May 04, 2018, 03:01:06 PM »

Biden endorsed Jacky Rosen for the Senate seat in Nevada, his second endorsement in the state (his other being Susie Lee for NV-3):

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/biden-endorses-rosen-in-u-s-senate-bid-against-heller-his-second-nevada-endorsement-of-2018
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1135 on: May 04, 2018, 05:05:44 PM »

Tim Ryan asked if he's running for president, and says "not right now":

http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/may/04/ryans-political-message-meant-to-connect/

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1136 on: May 05, 2018, 12:03:52 PM »

Biden visited McCain at his ranch last weekend, and afterwards Biden said that McCain told him "not to walk away" from politics:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/05/us/politics/john-mccain-arizona.html
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #1137 on: May 05, 2018, 01:39:42 PM »

Report: Kamala Harris heads to Trump country for 2020 'shadow campaign'

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Kamala-Harris-2020-election-Trump-country-Michigan-12890494.php
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #1138 on: May 05, 2018, 05:08:44 PM »

Tim Ryan asked if he's running for president, and says "not right now":

http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/may/04/ryans-political-message-meant-to-connect/

papa bless
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1139 on: May 06, 2018, 10:47:53 AM »

James Carville asked if he thinks Hillary Clinton will run again:

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/386374-carville-clinton-hasnt-shown-any-indication-that-she-wants-to-run-for

History505
« Reply #1140 on: May 06, 2018, 02:25:52 PM »

Is Tulsi Gabbard still considered a potential candidate at this point? I don't see much movement from her.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1141 on: May 06, 2018, 02:43:16 PM »

Is Tulsi Gabbard still considered a potential candidate at this point? I don't see much movement from her.

I mean, she is certainly more likely to run than the vast majority of her colleagues in the House, if only by virtue of the fact that she visited Iowa in October, and deflected when asked back in January if she would run for president.  But she's not dropping hints every week like an O'Malley or Garcetti or Tim Ryan.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1142 on: May 06, 2018, 06:03:07 PM »

We all know she is going to run but this could be an interesting trial to see if she could appeal to, or even salvage, some of those voters that Clinton lost.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1143 on: May 06, 2018, 07:03:37 PM »

We all know she is going to run but this could be an interesting trial to see if she could appeal to, or even salvage, some of those voters that Clinton lost.

I hate how they characterize Michigan & Wisconsin as 'Trump country' were they ever described as Obama country? No.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1144 on: May 06, 2018, 07:05:28 PM »

I hate how they characterize Michigan & Wisconsin as 'Drumpf country' were they ever described as Obama country? No.

I agree but it is important to remember how and why they voted for Trump if the Democrats want to flip it back in 2020.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1145 on: May 06, 2018, 07:32:05 PM »

I hate how they characterize Michigan & Wisconsin as 'Drumpf country' were they ever described as Obama country? No.

I agree but it is important to remember how and why they voted for Trump if the Democrats want to flip it back in 2020.

They voted for Trump because there was a black man in the White House, and Democrats had just nominated a woman. In other words, they are sexist, racist [insert profanity here].
tosk

Political Matrix

« Reply #1146 on: May 06, 2018, 09:47:07 PM »

They voted for Trump because there was a black man in the White House, and Democrats had just nominated a woman. In other words, they are sexist, racist [insert profanity here].

ah yes, that must be why they voted for obama twice
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1147 on: May 06, 2018, 09:51:59 PM »

That's called plausible deniability.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1148 on: May 06, 2018, 09:55:51 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2018, 10:00:08 PM by YE »

What's the worst thing that happens policy wise if the Dems try to win Obama-Trump areas? That a few elitists get triggered since a few Trump voters or non-Clinton voters is now part of their party?
tosk

Political Matrix

« Reply #1149 on: May 06, 2018, 10:46:52 PM »

That's called plausible deniability.

thats

what

plausible deniability? is there some giant conspiracy in the rust belt? all these millions of people voted in unison for barack obama so they could turn around and get donald trump in?

people can vote for a candidate for actual reasons, just because you don't like the candidate(which i totally get) doesn't mean that there's some secret racist/sexist/homophobic agenda.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies