Pro/Con List for Seth Moulton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:33:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pro/Con List for Seth Moulton
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pro/Con List for Seth Moulton  (Read 1288 times)
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2017, 03:59:42 PM »

Best and worst qualities he'd bring as a nominee/candidate? Would you even say he's a good option at all?
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 04:08:19 PM »

Con: He's Seth Moulton
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »

The best thing he's got going for him is that he's under 70.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 04:29:52 PM »

Pro - Relatable to the white, working, middle class, as well as military veterans.

Cons - Not as progressive/non-corporate as many make him out to be. Currently not a household name but I think he could get a good internet following.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 04:45:54 PM »

I don't think this is quite what you were asking for, but in terms of his ability to break out of obscurity in the nomination process, and at least make it into the primary debates, I do suspect that his veteran status may well give him enough novelty status to get him some media attention, enough to make him more likely to make the debates than other currently not-so-well-known candidates, like Chris Murphy, Steve Bullock, or (lol) John Delaney.  I mean, if Gabbard doesn't run, then what other vet will be in the race?

But that's only relevant for the primaries.  As I said in another thread earlier today, name recognition doesn't really matter for the general election, since winning the nomination makes you a household name.

One thing I'll say that's relevant to the general election: I haven't seen much of Moulton, but the impression I do have is that he's a bit of a bomb thrower within the Democratic caucus.  So not sure how well he'd be able to make peace with any rival factions within the party, should he actually win the nomination.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 04:50:49 PM »

Pro: He's not a Baby Boomer
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 05:18:32 PM »

Pros: Young, pro-marijuana, military background
Cons: Hardly any name recognition outside of MA, boring centrist in general
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 06:32:42 PM »

Pro: Young (Booker, Gilibrand and Harris will be in their early 50s). Relatable to white working class. Patriotic backstory. Smart enough to go against Pelosi. Ran against a shady Democratic incumbent.

Con: Limited experience/ accomplishment. He'll have three terms as one of 435 members of Congress, with the further complication of being in the minority party, which limits his ability to do anything.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 07:59:55 PM »

Moulton believing Chelsea Manning should still be in prison is basically a non-starter for me.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 08:02:57 PM »

Moulton believing Chelsea Manning should still be in prison is basically a non-starter for me.

Oh jeez. Now I don't like him.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 05:07:59 AM »

Oh jeez. Now I don't like him.

Anyone who has even the slightest problem with the NSA, or wishes America's military to be less of a global police force, should steer clear of Moulton. He's a brass hack.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 10:03:48 PM »

Pros: Youth, would have WWC appeal, would throw a bone to Bernie folks with his anti-establishment posture, military experience is a plus, energetic

Cons: Not known
varesurgent
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 08:50:03 PM »

Pros: Will be against everyone the second they become unpopular or mess something up.

Cons: Is Seth Moulton.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 07:58:07 AM »

Pros: Is a war veteran
Cons: Seth Moulton
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 01:09:50 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2017, 01:11:57 PM by Power to the Pe p e! »

I lived in Seth's district for about six months last year. I can see why he's not considered liberal enough. There were Trump signs everywhere on the Mass North Shore. Amazingly, Hillary did better than I expected there. Obama actually lost the town I was living in but Hillary won.

He looks to me like a 2024 or 2028 choice. He is by no means a "conservative" but yet seems like a strong triangulator.
He will tow the line on the big issues, but has some very conservative credentials on a few minor issues and comes from a conservative background. Though he might be too left on gun control. Many left-wingers will be upsets that he supports nuclear, but I support that as well.  He could potentially be a Bill Clinton-like candidate. The one thing I am not sure about is how good of an actual politician he is. He might just be doing well because he is just a good fit for his district.

So yeah, I will give those to the left of me credit in saying he isn't an ambitious choice but I he could definitely be a choice eventually if Democrats remain unpopular during the next 8-12 years.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 06:07:41 AM »

I'm basing this on the Axe Files podcast but he's generally rather boring. Stephen Bush (UK journo) always said of Dan Jarvis MP (another ex-soldier) that he had a great backstory but no frontstory; which sums up Moulton.

Beyond being a veteran; and not liking Nancy Pelosi he doesn't have a great deal to say.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies