Does Trump's gradual lean toward the political Center help him in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:02:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Does Trump's gradual lean toward the political Center help him in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Trump's gradual lean toward the political Center help him in 2020?  (Read 1194 times)
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2017, 01:20:47 PM »
« edited: September 17, 2017, 01:27:36 PM by Anyone But Trump 2020 »

I say no.

Not only is he losing trust of his most fringe and radical supporters, but also that of average ones as well, who despise the Democrats in any way.

It seems as if, to me, he's attempting a Roosevelt form of Centrism, attempting to appeal to both parties in the name of nationalist unity.

Problem being - I think the approach to Centrism is a horrible one. He's trying, sure, but it's laughably horrible.

Most Democrats hate him. Some of the GOP can't stand him. Approval polls are consistently on a negative trend (RealClearPolitics has him at 55.3% disapproval) and now he suddenly wants to take a turn toward political Centrism by dealing with Pelosi and Schumer, and taking a lighthearted approach on topics he used to be very conservative about?

Doesn't sound like a good re-election plan to me.

Or is it all just "4D chess" to win over Independents?
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 01:24:58 PM »

No it will make a lot of his base stay home he can't replace his base with winning over any indpendents
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 01:28:48 PM »

Sure. A move to the center always helps. That's what Bill Clinton understood - and today's Democrats don't. Bernie wasn't successful because he was far left, you see. It was because his appeal was actually more centrist than Clinton's. His central message that the system is rigged was a bipartisan one.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 01:34:49 PM »

Sure. A move to the center always helps. That's what Bill Clinton understood - and today's Democrats don't. Bernie wasn't successful because he was far left, you see. It was because his appeal was actually more centrist than Clinton's. His central message that the system is rigged was a bipartisan one.

I would be willing to argue that even during Clinton's worst times, he still had a more positive opinion from the nation compared to that of Trump in general. Of course, it's mainly overreaction from upset leftists, but he's still almost universally condemned every single time he says or does something.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 08:16:06 PM »

So do you think that Ford would have beaten Kennedy by like 50 points in 1980?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 10:14:15 PM »

So? Just because the beginning diagnosis isn't ideological or partisan doesn't mean their can't be a solution favoring one side with conviction.

It's how FDR beat the old Al Smith vs Coolidge spectrum that was utterly useless in The Great Depression

And when the excesses of the New Deal wavered, Reagan came in, decidedly NOT at the center.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 10:16:35 PM »

The fact that Trump ran a campaign explicitly centered around race baiting and scapegoating of ethnic minorities from the moment he launched his campaign means he'll always have a pretty low ceiling of support. If you hypothetically had an economically centrist Republican who governed to the center and had some of the same domestic proposals Trump does such as infrastructure spending they probably would have pretty high approval ratings, especially when the economy is doing pretty good. Trump's entire brand was one of polarization though from the very beginning so he could never approach Bill Clinton levels of popularity. He's also on very thin ice, a particularly damning scandal and/or a recession combined with his base abandoning him could potentially bring him down to Nixon during Watergate or Jimmy Carter in 1980 approval ratings.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 09:45:20 AM »

No. It's not gong to last, first of all. Also he turned off so many people by his personal characteristics that it's impossible to win people back over.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 10:00:14 AM »

No, it will hurt his base and most faithful supporters. It will discourage them and they might stay home.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 03:33:17 PM »

Trump is not so much leaning towards the center as he is jerking wildly around the political spectrum.  He'll veer right again once the mood strikes him or the right assortment of people have his ear. Nor is it inconceivable that he'd sign anything Schumer and Pelosi sent to his desk come 2019. I would not be surprised-- especially given his record on the issue-- to see Trump sign a single payer bill if the Democrats were ever inclined to pass one. What's more he'd call Ryan a loser while doing so. On the other hand, as the ACHA debacle showed, he'd sign the most right wing legislation if the GOP could pass it. He's seeking wins, regardless of substance, and with as little work as possible. At no time should we read too deeply into a seeming shift.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 02:36:27 PM »

Those who voted for him expecting him to be a near-fascist will see him as a sell-out. Liberals will see him as an untrustworthy opportunist. 

I have rarely seen a politician make a switch from conservative to liberal or vice-versa and get away with it. I can;t see Donald Trump pulling it off.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 04:22:11 PM »

Those who voted for him expecting him to be a near-fascist will see him as a sell-out.

I'm sure all 5 of those people are upset.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 04:24:37 PM »

What "gradual lean to the center" this administration is so hard right my head is spinning. Lmao at this premise.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 04:35:25 PM »

What "gradual lean to the center" this administration is so hard right my head is spinning. Lmao at this premise.

Hard right =/= Republican you really don't like.  Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell and the other Republicans that Trump is creating a divide with are objectively far, far to his right.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 04:53:46 PM »

Hard right =/= Republican you really don't like.  Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell and the other Republicans that Trump is creating a divide with are objectively far, far to his right.
I never said these other names weren't to his right, however that stilll isn't to imply he is governing or his appointments are that of a centrist.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 04:56:24 PM »

Trump is definitely not on th e "far right"
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »

Well he certainty is not governing as a "centrist"
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 10:29:51 AM »

Didn’t say he was.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 06:17:33 PM »

If it makes him seem more stable, yes. If it means he's simply highlighting some middle of the road positions but still acts narcissistic and clueless, no it doesn't help.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 12:48:12 PM »

It does help him, to a certain extent at least. Look at his approval ratings--it has rebounded a bit.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 01:03:55 PM »

Emphasis on the gradual part, and no one said it had to be a good lean.
PoliticalJunkie23
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 03:38:44 PM »

These past 8 months have shown us how erratic Trump is. But if he does the unexpected and becomes a consistently centrist/lean right President, while also toning down his rhetoric (which I can see happening as the presidency wears him down, as it does to every president), I can see his approval rating go above 50%. We need to remember that most people would like Trump and his policies if it wasn't for his personality. If he can change his personality and the way he conveys himself, he is a two termer.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 10:25:36 PM »

Trump is not seen as "moving to the center" because his persona is anything but "moderate".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies