Jefferson latest target of protestors
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:25:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jefferson latest target of protestors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Jefferson latest target of protestors  (Read 957 times)
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2017, 08:24:33 AM »

Protesters have draped a shroud over a statue of Thomas Jefferson at UVA "and put up signs that called him a "rapist" and "racist"." http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/UVA-president-criticizes-Jefferson-statue-shrouding-444304763.html

The president of UVA, Teresa Sullivan, has criticized these moves. UVA won't tolerate attacks on TJ but would be ok with looking the other way re Lee, Jackson, etc.

Thoughts on this?
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 08:37:42 AM »

"The demonstrators called Tuesday night for the university to meet demands issued by the Black Student Alliance after the white nationalist rallies. They include the removal of Confederate plaques on the Rotunda and adding context to the Jefferson statue."

I think those are perfectly reasonable demands.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 08:39:39 AM »

"The demonstrators called Tuesday night for the university to meet demands issued by the Black Student Alliance after the white nationalist rallies. They include the removal of Confederate plaques on the Rotunda and adding context to the Jefferson statue."

I think those are perfectly reasonable demands.

What do they mean by adding context? Didn't read the article.

And yeah they should take down the plaques to the confederacy
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 10:23:03 AM »

Take down the confederate stuff sure that's fine. But don't mess with Jefferson. He was a very flawed man but he is one of the greatest freedom fighters in all of human history. If anyone deserves statues with no asterisks it's him.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 10:30:47 AM »

First they came for Robert E Lee, and I did not speak out.
rob in cal
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 10:31:40 AM »

Hopefully this will inaugurate a full scale debate on whether we should be honoring slave owner Presidents, Presidents who were pro-life, anti-gay marriage Presidents, and Presidents who were against non-white immigration into the US.  
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 10:38:20 AM »

I thought the Sherman statues would be next.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 11:06:23 AM »

Hopefully this will inaugurate a full scale debate on whether we should be honoring slave owner Presidents, Presidents who were pro-life, anti-gay marriage Presidents, and Presidents who were against non-white immigration into the US.  

This is one of the most idiotic things I've ever read. You're fine with erasing history if you don't agree with it. That's just dumb.
rob in cal
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 11:29:49 AM »

Alabama, you do realize I was being sarcastic?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 11:30:04 AM »

The demands seem reasonable.

Jefferson, like most human beings did both good and bad throughout his life. On the good side, he far, far outclasses Confederate generals (and most of us today, too). Jefferson rebelled against a bad government that refused to give his fellow Americans representation.

The generals had their 'greatest' personal moments slaughtering their fellow countrymen and revolting against their own working government so that they could continue to refuse representation (and be free to inflict many other great horrors) on a selection of their fellow Americans.

(I also think that Jefferson's relationship with his dead wife's younger sister is near never publicly addressed as being as complicated as it clearly was.)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 11:40:34 AM »

Jefferson, like most human beings did both good and bad throughout his life. On the good side, he far, far outclasses Confederate generals (and most of us today, too). Jefferson rebelled against a bad government that refused to give his fellow Americans representation.

The generals had their 'greatest' personal moments slaughtering their fellow countrymen and revolting against their own working government so that they could continue to refuse representation (and be free to inflict many other great horrors) on a selection of their fellow Americans.

(I also think that Jefferson's relationship with his dead wife's younger sister is near never publicly addressed as being as complicated as it clearly was.)

Huh. Never knew he had that relationship.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 11:45:10 AM »

The "Confederate plaque" is a list of UVA students who died during the Civil War. It is adjacent to other plaques listing the names of UVA students who died in the World Wars and Vietnam. Here is what it looks like. Sorry if it triggers anyone.

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 11:49:36 AM »

The "Confederate plaque" is a list of UVA students who died during the Civil War. It is adjacent to other plaques listing the names of UVA students who died in the World Wars and Vietnam. Here is what it looks like. Sorry if it triggers anyone.

Ok this should stay
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »

When was the plaque put up?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 12:03:52 PM »

I've never heard about that last part, do you have any links or books we could read about it?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »

Closer in proximity to the Civil War than the World War 2 Memorial in D.C. was to World War 2. Pretty quick considering the near total devastation in the South after the war.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 12:05:12 PM »

Oh, I have no problem with that; it looks pretty small, and my main opposition is to honoring the generals and other leaders of the Confederacy.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 12:17:39 PM »

Oh, I have no problem with that; it looks pretty small, and my main opposition is to honoring the generals and other leaders of the Confederacy.
This.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 12:20:40 PM »

Wikipedia is a good place to start

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Hemings

I've never heard about that last part, do you have any links or books we could read about it?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »

Oh please people...this isn't helping anyone.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 03:39:57 PM »

I thought the Sherman statues would be next.

I believe according to these people's views, you're a Confederate apologist if you mention the Sherman angle.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 03:44:07 PM »

Alabama, you do realize I was being sarcastic?

I knew you were being sarcastic.

[not sarcastic]But the various controversies discovered 20-30, even 100 years after the fact makes you wonder why the president should be so powerful in the first place if they are that 'terrible'.[/not sarcastic]

Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 04:15:50 PM »

Jefferson wasn't perfect, but vandalizing and calling for the removal of his statues is just gonna piss off and alienate a lot of people.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 04:20:10 PM »

I'm honestly torn on the issue. While I totally understand removing monuments dedicated specifically to praise the evil Confederate cause and its leaders, I don't want this to go too far. In my country I strongly oppose removing memorials to the Soviet soldiers who died on the Polish soil while liberating it from the Nazis (yes, for all other problems, it was a liberation from a genocidal occupation), because it's just wrong. I would let memorials dedicated simply to soldiers who lost their lives in a terrible civil war remain undisturbed.

As of Jefferson, he was a POS, but other things, namely his historical legacy (come on, he was a great American stateman), must be taken into a consideration. I'm not comfortable with erasing history.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 04:26:40 PM »

Huh. Never knew he had that relationship.
He means Sally Hemings, who was the illegitimate daughter of Betty Hemings and John Wayles (Martha Jefferson's father).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies