Describe a West Virginian Democrat who ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:09:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Describe a West Virginian Democrat who ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a West Virginian Democrat who ...  (Read 2183 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2017, 03:23:59 PM »

Describe a West Virginian Democrat who voted for Bernie in the primary and for Hillary in the general.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:33:25 PM »

A public school teacher.

A UMWA official
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 03:56:29 PM »

A WV Democrat who isn't a Blue Dog.
Gone to Carolina
SaltGiver
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 04:04:29 PM »

My grandparents, so:

- Ancestral Democrats.

- Voters who still associate the Democratic Party with unions.

Hydera

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:30:30 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2017, 04:36:27 PM by ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) »

Economically progressive democrat who regardless of views on social issues has never voted republican on the presidential level for most of their life.

or

Staunch democrats who will always pull the democrat lever regardless of anything(not a lot of them these days).
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 05:25:54 PM »

The minority of progressive dems in the state who align with the national party, this really isn't that hard as there's a few in every state. You'd also probably find quite a few who aren't native to the state, for instance professors at the University of West Virginia.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 12:55:05 PM »

A public school teacher.

A UMWA official

The United Mine Workers did not endorse Hillary Clinton.  They did endorse McGovern in 1972.  Think about that.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 01:05:40 PM »

A sane person.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 09:55:04 AM »

A public school teacher.

A UMWA official

The United Mine Workers did not endorse Hillary Clinton.  They did endorse McGovern in 1972.  Think about that.

They did run a lean positive article about her in October 2016 on their website.  They never ran anything positive about Trump.  This is better than what they ever did for Obama in 2012.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 10:10:44 AM »

A gay white college kiddie. 
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 08:01:42 PM »

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 08:38:42 PM »

Oh god.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 09:32:49 PM »

A gay white college kiddie who is unable to comprehend reality

FTFY
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 10:59:03 PM »

Same as a Sanders/Clinton voter anywhere else in the country: A progressive Democrat who votes for the more left-leaning candidate. These types of voters do exist in red states, as hard as that might be to believe.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 04:34:11 AM »

In order to isolate the variables to create a common data-set, I suspect one would need to do a County-by-County analysis run it through an Excel spreadsheet and attempt to identify variables and correlations comparing and contrast Primary vs GE results.

I suspect that the most direct correlation would be found among Democratic Party voters within the the largest respective "Urban centers" within the respective counties and regional towns and cities....

Additionally, I suspect that the highest variances would be found in overwhelmingly rural counties and precincts.

Occupations/Industry: This is a bit misleading since as a relatively aging and heavily rural State, there is a huge % of the population that is retired (Not Employed), and additionally rural poverty and systemic unemployment/underemployment is still at astronomical levels in vast regions of WV.

Federal/State/Local Government now accounts for a full 20% of the workforce of WV !!!!

These are mind boggling numbers regardless of however one chooses to slice, dice, and mince the data......

WV has been oppresses and suffering among both Democratic and Republican Administrations alike for so many decades that I can't remember the last time a President stood up for WV....

Most of y'all have never spent any time in Appalachia... but there is a much larger story that goes back all the ways to the 1930s....

As a Political Scientist and student of History, it is virtually impossible to look at the political and social changes in the "Industrial Midwest" without looking at both the migration of African-Americans and Appalachian-Americans spaced out over a few decades to Cities like SLO, Cinnci, Detriot, Chicago, without even going into the smaller factory towns of the region....

Still to answer the question, these days it would most likely be public sector union employees (Look at HRCs margins in Charleston {State Capitol}, Huntington (Where a ton of unemployed skilled workers migrated to when the economy collapsed in most of the State), and several other "large Metro" areas within WV...

I'm old enough to still remember way back in the '08 Primary Days when Obama Primary supporters claimed the state was chalk full of racist Democrats... when it came to the '08 GE many of these same posters, as well as Moderate/Liberal 'Pubs did a variant on the same argument.

S**t, even outside of Atlas tons of Dems were blaming WV as responsible for Gore's loss in '00!!!

Hell, he could have won his home State of TN, regardless of hanging chads in FL, or WV flipping for the first time in who knows how long.

Both national Democratic and Republican Parties for decades have been treating WV as a "Two bit Ho'", done lip service as Miners died in their tombs because of "Industrial Accidents", treated one of the most beautiful States of our Great Nation as simply a raw material to be exploited during the economic expansion between '48 until the early '70s, despite the fact that the UMWA provided the raw materials to feed the Power Plants of the US, Steel Mills of Pittsburgh, Auto Plants of Detroit, and over decades had to struggle against both Democratic and Republican Administrations alike for decent hours, wages, and working conditions.

There is no such thing as a Union Mine left in WV today, and frankly I would be surprised to see virtually any Union Coal Mines left in the US anymore....

They busted the Unions through the practice of "Double Breasting" (Opening up Non-Union joints a few hollers down in Appalachia, shifting Operations to the "Cowboy Open Pit Miners of places like Wyoming, Montana, and Utah, bigger companies relocated operations to Australia to gain competitive advantage in the vast booming market of Coal Power Plants in China, after Republican Pres George HW Bush signed an MFN deal with China right after Tiananmen Square!!!

Where was Bill Clinton when they busted the balls of the UMWA in '93 and allowed the MNC Miner Bosses to rule with impunity while our jobs were being shipped overseas?

So here's something close to a T-Shirt that I still proudly wear that was given to me by a 3rd Generation Coal Miner from SouthEast Ohio during the '93 Shutdown Strike in the Coal Fields.

I grew up and live in a State that has experienced dramatic swings because our traditional dependence on Forest Products....

Pittsburgh PA and places like Huntington and Youngstown have experienced similar dramatic swings, where within a brief 5-10 years whole industries vanish and local residents need to make a choice of cashing out their last check after the unemployment benefits run down during a major recession, and sell their house at 50% of their equity, and relocate to a totally different area and leave their family, friends, and community behind.

I am not an "expert" of WV", but I have experienced firsthand the social and economic devastation in natural resource based communities....

The whole "Bail out Wall Street and Screw Main Street" argument doesn't fly so well, even in "Republican" WV....

Really curious what will happen in '20, since most likely we will actually have a Democratic nominee that most likely will be seen as a scrappy street-fighter, rather than a company stooge in a state like WV where traditionally economics has trumped cultural affiliation....
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 02:52:01 AM »

In order to isolate the variables to create a common data-set, I suspect one would need to do a County-by-County analysis run it through an Excel spreadsheet and attempt to identify variables and correlations comparing and contrast Primary vs GE results.

I suspect that the most direct correlation would be found among Democratic Party voters within the the largest respective "Urban centers" within the respective counties and regional towns and cities....

Additionally, I suspect that the highest variances would be found in overwhelmingly rural counties and precincts.

Occupations/Industry: This is a bit misleading since as a relatively aging and heavily rural State, there is a huge % of the population that is retired (Not Employed), and additionally rural poverty and systemic unemployment/underemployment is still at astronomical levels in vast regions of WV.

Federal/State/Local Government now accounts for a full 20% of the workforce of WV !!!!

These are mind boggling numbers regardless of however one chooses to slice, dice, and mince the data......

WV has been oppresses and suffering among both Democratic and Republican Administrations alike for so many decades that I can't remember the last time a President stood up for WV....

Most of y'all have never spent any time in Appalachia... but there is a much larger story that goes back all the ways to the 1930s....

As a Political Scientist and student of History, it is virtually impossible to look at the political and social changes in the "Industrial Midwest" without looking at both the migration of African-Americans and Appalachian-Americans spaced out over a few decades to Cities like SLO, Cinnci, Detriot, Chicago, without even going into the smaller factory towns of the region....

Still to answer the question, these days it would most likely be public sector union employees (Look at HRCs margins in Charleston {State Capitol}, Huntington (Where a ton of unemployed skilled workers migrated to when the economy collapsed in most of the State), and several other "large Metro" areas within WV...

I'm old enough to still remember way back in the '08 Primary Days when Obama Primary supporters claimed the state was chalk full of racist Democrats... when it came to the '08 GE many of these same posters, as well as Moderate/Liberal 'Pubs did a variant on the same argument.

S**t, even outside of Atlas tons of Dems were blaming WV as responsible for Gore's loss in '00!!!

Hell, he could have won his home State of TN, regardless of hanging chads in FL, or WV flipping for the first time in who knows how long.

Both national Democratic and Republican Parties for decades have been treating WV as a "Two bit Ho'", done lip service as Miners died in their tombs because of "Industrial Accidents", treated one of the most beautiful States of our Great Nation as simply a raw material to be exploited during the economic expansion between '48 until the early '70s, despite the fact that the UMWA provided the raw materials to feed the Power Plants of the US, Steel Mills of Pittsburgh, Auto Plants of Detroit, and over decades had to struggle against both Democratic and Republican Administrations alike for decent hours, wages, and working conditions.

There is no such thing as a Union Mine left in WV today, and frankly I would be surprised to see virtually any Union Coal Mines left in the US anymore....

They busted the Unions through the practice of "Double Breasting" (Opening up Non-Union joints a few hollers down in Appalachia, shifting Operations to the "Cowboy Open Pit Miners of places like Wyoming, Montana, and Utah, bigger companies relocated operations to Australia to gain competitive advantage in the vast booming market of Coal Power Plants in China, after Republican Pres George HW Bush signed an MFN deal with China right after Tiananmen Square!!!

Where was Bill Clinton when they busted the balls of the UMWA in '93 and allowed the MNC Miner Bosses to rule with impunity while our jobs were being shipped overseas?

So here's something close to a T-Shirt that I still proudly wear that was given to me by a 3rd Generation Coal Miner from SouthEast Ohio during the '93 Shutdown Strike in the Coal Fields.

I grew up and live in a State that has experienced dramatic swings because our traditional dependence on Forest Products....

Pittsburgh PA and places like Huntington and Youngstown have experienced similar dramatic swings, where within a brief 5-10 years whole industries vanish and local residents need to make a choice of cashing out their last check after the unemployment benefits run down during a major recession, and sell their house at 50% of their equity, and relocate to a totally different area and leave their family, friends, and community behind.

I am not an "expert" of WV", but I have experienced firsthand the social and economic devastation in natural resource based communities....

The whole "Bail out Wall Street and Screw Main Street" argument doesn't fly so well, even in "Republican" WV....

Really curious what will happen in '20, since most likely we will actually have a Democratic nominee that most likely will be seen as a scrappy street-fighter, rather than a company stooge in a state like WV where traditionally economics has trumped cultural affiliation....

Sound analysis, depending on what the economy is like and if the Democrats nominate a Sanders/Warren type I think there's a strong chance they could at least narrow the gap. Especially since the state might turn against Trump when he proves unable to bring coal jobs back.
Hydera

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 04:31:22 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2017, 04:33:39 PM by ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) »

Sound analysis, depending on what the economy is like and if the Democrats nominate a Sanders/Warren type I think there's a strong chance they could at least narrow the gap. Especially since the state might turn against Trump when he proves unable to bring coal jobs back.

Find a Sanders/Warren type whose also socially conservative, campaign on being "pro-gun" and doesn't care about climate change policy and they'll probably win the state. (At this point a "Sanders/Warren type" who has those beliefs wouldn't qualify for a Sanders/Warren type anymore).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies