Ontario 2018 election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:46:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario 2018 election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 97
Author Topic: Ontario 2018 election  (Read 205517 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1875 on: June 01, 2018, 10:33:24 AM »

I really, really doubt Ford loses in Etobicoke North.

First of all, this model does not take into account at all Ford's personal popularity in north Etobicoke.  Second, these seat projection models are kinda useless right now (yes, more useless than Mainstreet's riding polls!)

I know people overuse the term star candidate, but yeah, you absolutely have to take into account the impact of star candidates on their ridings. Using a Hudak Tory's result in Etobicoke North to predict Doug Ford's result is just silly.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #1876 on: June 01, 2018, 10:37:21 AM »

I really, really doubt Ford loses in Etobicoke North.

First of all, this model does not take into account at all Ford's personal popularity in north Etobicoke.  Second, these seat projection models are kinda useless right now (yes, more useless than Mainstreet's riding polls!)

Yeah. I can't see Ford losing his own riding unless his party somehow goes down to 2014 levels. Even then, Ford would likely overperform the party as a whole because he is party leader in an area that adores the Fords.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1877 on: June 01, 2018, 10:43:40 AM »

Tooclosetocall's Liberal holdouts:

Don Valley East
Ottawa-Vanier
St. Paul's
Vaughan-Woodbridge (lol)

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1878 on: June 01, 2018, 10:48:58 AM »

FFS
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #1879 on: June 01, 2018, 11:28:49 AM »

I did explicitly point out if you know what you're looking for - i.e. it's not a question of counting signs and saying that the party with the most in a given district will win (lol no), but looking for certain patterns. Essentially they're a good way to gauge electoral enthusiasm.

As for constituency polling... ahem... if we're being honest, certain companies this time are using them as a money making scam. Beware.

I agree with this. Since I started this conversation with my comment about lawn signs in Parkdale High Park, let me just make clear that I never implied that PC will pick that riding up. I was just contrasting the flood of PC signs in this election to the usual one or two that they have had in the past.

And I DO think that it is a trend that shows something. PC may still lose or even finish in their (usual) third place, but they will undoubtedly do much better than usual, even in this traditionally Liberal/NDP riding.

Trends and patterns - ignore them at your peril.

DL
Canada

« Reply #1880 on: June 01, 2018, 11:36:18 AM »

The reason riding polls can be so unreliable is that it’s is impossible to get riding specific cell phone sample especially in urban ridings and that mean that no matter how much weighting you try to do you are still only surveying people with listed landline numbers are are not representative of the population
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1881 on: June 01, 2018, 11:42:42 AM »

The reason riding polls can be so unreliable is that it’s is impossible to get riding specific cell phone sample especially in urban ridings and that mean that no matter how much weighting you try to do you are still only surveying people with listed landline numbers are are not representative of the population

That is a huge problem, as is the response rates for certain demographic groups (e.g. visible minorities, indigenous people, etc). Also, ridings with rather new housing developments will have fewer listed numbers as sampling companies have yet to update their lists.

All this to say is that when analyzing riding polls, you need to also "know what to look for" and make corresponding adjustments, or else just throw in the junk pile.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #1882 on: June 01, 2018, 11:43:57 AM »

I did explicitly point out if you know what you're looking for - i.e. it's not a question of counting signs and saying that the party with the most in a given district will win (lol no), but looking for certain patterns. Essentially they're a good way to gauge electoral enthusiasm.

As for constituency polling... ahem... if we're being honest, certain companies this time are using them as a money making scam. Beware.

I agree with this. Since I started this conversation with my comment about lawn signs in Parkdale High Park, let me just make clear that I never implied that PC will pick that riding up. I was just contrasting the flood of PC signs in this election to the usual one or two that they have had in the past.

And I DO think that it is a trend that shows something. PC may still lose or even finish in their (usual) third place, but they will undoubtedly do much better than usual, even in this traditionally Liberal/NDP riding.

Trends and patterns - ignore them at your peril.

I absolutely agree that wealthier areas, that have tended to vote Liberal will see swings to the PCs; and I think this is where you are seeing the OLP-PC swings in the city, is among voters who would rather see the PCs then the NDP, and can't support the OLP any longer. High Park area, Rosedale will see PC gains, Briddle Path-York Mills-SunnyBrook, Forrest Hill and Lawrence Park.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1883 on: June 01, 2018, 11:47:27 AM »

I'm not so sure about that...Hudak's orthodox conservative platform was more appealing to the very wealthy than Ford's populist campaign in many respects.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1884 on: June 01, 2018, 11:57:53 AM »

Poll out today: http://www.ekospolitics.com/index.php/2018/06/without-significant-changes-doug-ford-on-track-for-majority-government/

39-35-19 Sad
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #1885 on: June 01, 2018, 12:01:39 PM »

Sad
Krago
« Reply #1886 on: June 01, 2018, 12:18:06 PM »

The NDP is eight points behind in Brampton and eleven points ahead in Halton/Mississauga?

Fascinating.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1887 on: June 01, 2018, 12:24:23 PM »

The NDP is eight points behind in Brampton and eleven points ahead in Halton/Mississauga?

Fascinating.

The topline numbers are credible, the regionals I would ignore as too small a sample. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1888 on: June 01, 2018, 12:25:11 PM »

Fascinating.

Uhhh... ignore the regional numbers. I don't know why we included them this time. Tongue They're designed for a much larger sample size.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1889 on: June 01, 2018, 12:43:37 PM »

Interesting that the Liberals are doing worse with visible minorities than non-minorities.
DL
Canada

« Reply #1890 on: June 01, 2018, 01:26:10 PM »

Pardon m’y schadenfreude that the OLP is stuck at 19%. Mainstreet seems to be the only one showing any recovery at all for them. I’m still optimistic and that a lot of soft Liberals and Greens will go NDP in the end
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1891 on: June 01, 2018, 01:26:21 PM »

The Visible Minority numbers are interesting, although probably more suggestive given the sample (I'M JUST PUTTING THIS DISCLAIMER HERE TO PRE-EMPT THE PREDICATABLE "CRITCISM" ABOUT READING TOO MUCH INTO SUBSAMPLES).  

Ford is indeed competitive with them for a Conservative, but...the "narrative" that he is far, far more popular among VMs than everyone else doesn't hold true and that the NDP is in fact polling higher (though I suspect there's wide variation, too small to slice, within the various VM groups).  Wonder what this could mean for results in Scarborough and Brampton.
Krago
« Reply #1892 on: June 01, 2018, 01:31:35 PM »

Pardon m’y schadenfreude that the OLP is stuck at 19%. Mainstreet seems to be the only one showing any recovery at all for them. I’m still optimistic and that a lot of soft Liberals and Greens will go NDP in the end

Honestly, the NDP-niks are freaking out over the drop in support, but having the headline read 'Doug Ford on track for majority government' going into the final weekend will feed directly into Horwath's strategic voting message.  But if the Tories keep hanging close to 40% in the polls, strategic voting won't change the result.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1893 on: June 01, 2018, 01:35:55 PM »

Honestly, the NDP-niks are freaking out over the drop in support, but having the headline read 'Doug Ford on track for majority government' going into the final weekend will feed directly into Horwath's strategic voting message.  But if the Tories keep hanging close to 40% in the polls, strategic voting won't change the result.

Honestly, if you are still voting LIB at this point, there is little chance you will move to the NDP at the last moment. You more likely either want to save the parties furniture for the next election, or are a dead set partisan.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1894 on: June 01, 2018, 01:53:26 PM »

Maggi has already put his riding polls out for the day, and none of them are the 'shockers' that he had promised. Sad
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1895 on: June 01, 2018, 01:58:24 PM »

He also lied about showing the same trend lines...

He may not be a scammer like Al seems to think he is, but he sure is being disingenuous.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1896 on: June 01, 2018, 01:58:43 PM »

Not shockers at all - except for the margins of victory they're showing.
Krago
« Reply #1897 on: June 01, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »

Honestly, if you are still voting LIB at this point, there is little chance you will move to the NDP at the last moment. You more likely either want to save the parties furniture for the next election, or are a dead set partisan.

From the most recent Mainstreet poll, one-sixth of remaining Liberals supporters are 'very likely' to change their vote to their second choice, which is overwhelmingly NDP.

The previous record for Liberal futility was set in 1923 under the leadership of Wellington Hay - 21.3%.  Here's my favourite Wikipedia quote about the 1923 election:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1898 on: June 01, 2018, 02:19:47 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2018, 02:24:56 PM by King of Kensington »

Hey Hatman, would you be able to combine the figures for City of Toronto and for the 905/GTA?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1899 on: June 01, 2018, 02:24:06 PM »

From the most recent Mainstreet poll, one-sixth of remaining Liberals supporters are 'very likely' to change their vote to their second choice, which is overwhelmingly NDP.

The previous record for Liberal futility was set in 1923 under the leadership of Wellington Hay - 21.3%.  Here's my favourite Wikipedia quote about the 1923 election:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The previous low for seats for the Liberals was 1951 where they won 8 seats with a respectable 32% of the vote. Man, that must've been a pretty gerrymandered map. The CCF won just 2 seats with 19% of the vote.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies