HOUSE BILL: Enceladus Mission Probe Funding (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:48:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE BILL: Enceladus Mission Probe Funding (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: HOUSE BILL: Enceladus Mission Probe Funding (Passed)  (Read 2963 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2017, 02:21:21 AM »
« edited: December 09, 2017, 06:08:01 PM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Atlasian People's House of Representatives
Pending
[/quote]

Sponsor: Haslam2020
House Designation: HB 1150
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 02:23:16 AM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to commence and advocacy for this, and the other members have and additional 48 hours to respond with their initial comments and questions.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 06:13:54 PM »

I'll wait to dive into the substance of the bill until the sponsor has had chance to make his opening remarks, but as someone whose field of expertise lies well apart from the moons of Saturn, I wonder if there is a particular reason Enceladus has been selected for this program?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 08:16:37 PM »

This seems random, but I'll hear you out, Haslam2020.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 09:09:41 PM »

Well, our Space Program needs a future gentleman, there's no better place than Enceladus, and it's ripe for discovery. Enceladus, yes, it's far off. But we should try for things not because they are easy, but because they are hard. Enceladus is a small moon in the Saturnian System, and it has an underwater saltwater Ocean the size of the Pacific under its icy surface. But it's not just salt water. It's warm salt water. Literally, just as much as our largest Ocean on Earth. It most likely has underwater volcanoes, and with all of this... It seems like the most likely place in our Solar System to host life. Enceladus, specifically will be selected for this Program because all the conditions are there. We should see if anyone's home. For 6 billion dollars, we could potentially answer a question that goes as far back as time. Are we alone? Let's figure out boys, let's figure out. Let's get that new sense of discovery rolling again.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 09:46:43 PM »

Let's go for this. We need to revitalize our sense of discovery and optimism as a nation, and the research and development caused by this investment will multiply many times over in other innovations which will help fuel our economy and make lives better and easier for our people. I suggest adding a clause that would guarantee protecting any alien lifeforms that we encounter which are not considered a threat to our mission or planet Earth since I wish avoid a genocide of a harmless alien species on the scale of that which happened upon contact between Europeans and Native Americans.
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 01:17:44 PM »

Let's go for this. We need to revitalize our sense of discovery and optimism as a nation, and the research and development caused by this investment will multiply many times over in other innovations which will help fuel our economy and make lives better and easier for our people. I suggest adding a clause that would guarantee protecting any alien lifeforms that we encounter which are not considered a threat to our mission or planet Earth since I wish avoid a genocide of a harmless alien species on the scale of that which happened upon contact between Europeans and Native Americans.

Thank you!! And we would never consider killing any alien lifeform, also the submarine would be completely free of any Earth bacteria!
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 01:22:08 PM »

I know that this isn't an easy issue, but I am in support of this.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 10:16:06 PM »

I know that this isn't an easy issue, but I am in support of this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 02:00:12 AM »

I am also inclined to support this, but I would like to ask what the basis is for those cost estimates?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 10:29:46 AM »

Is this being conducted by the government entirely, or through contracts with private aerospace companies? If so, what accountability mechanisms could we propose to ensure that taxpayer dollars are respected?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »

I am inclined to support this, however I just want to note that I think colonization efforts should be a higher priority. But as long as one doesn't prevent the other from happening, I am in favor of our space program getting additional funding for groundbreaking research opportunities.
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 04:22:29 PM »

To answer some of my fellow colleagues questions':

Is this being conducted by the government entirely, or through contracts with private aerospace companies? If so, what accountability mechanisms could we propose to ensure that taxpayer dollars are respected?

Pretty much the Government. Companies are in this just to make a profit so far, look at the current plans for colonies on the Moon, Mars, and Titan. They all have the potential for profit money wise, but Enceladus. Our profit from this shall be symbolic, and also I guess money wise if you consider the creation of new jobs. We'll most likely have an answer to our lifelong question: "are we alone?".  Thank you!

I am inclined to support this, however I just want to note that I think colonization efforts should be a higher priority. But as long as one doesn't prevent the other from happening, I am in favor of our space program getting additional funding for groundbreaking research opportunities.

It won't slow down any colonization efforts, I may have a bill for a moon residence soon. It's a good first step, but the Enceladus Expedition won't be anything but discovery. Thanks!
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 04:23:46 PM »

I am also inclined to support this, but I would like to ask what the basis is for those cost estimates?

The basis for the cost estimates are current space faring probes, and how we can be most efficient for the lowest amount possible. This should be enough to cover probe with a small subermissible, trust me!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 03:25:41 PM »

Something to consider: suppose we do find life on Enceladus. What rights would these organisms — intelligent or otherwise — have, and how would we go about seeing that they are respected? It would be a tragedy indeed if we were discover life elsewhere in the solar system, only to extinguish it through carelessness.
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 05:53:20 AM »

Something to consider: suppose we do find life on Enceladus. What rights would these organisms — intelligent or otherwise — have, and how would we go about seeing that they are respected? It would be a tragedy indeed if we were discover life elsewhere in the solar system, only to extinguish it through carelessness.

We shall make a law that any life form killed on Enceladus is a brutal crime. We wouldn't interfere with it much. We could monitor if primitive, but have no right to guide its evolution.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 08:38:33 AM »

We shall make a law that any life form killed on Enceladus is a brutal crime. We wouldn't interfere with it much. We could monitor if primitive, but have no right to guide its evolution.
My issue is that if there was some sort of patheogenic bacteria discovered, we then wouldn't be allowed to kill it, creating potential problems on earth.
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2017, 04:41:43 PM »

My issue is that if there was some sort of patheogenic bacteria discovered, we then wouldn't be allowed to kill it, creating potential problems on earth.

Enceladus is far from Earth, it's in the Saturnian system, plus the probe would never return to Earth.
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 10:34:29 AM »

Any other concerns?
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 03:33:25 PM »

We should move this to a final vote!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 04:36:32 PM »

I was under the impression that the sponsor was to introduce an amendment on the rights of alien life forms; in lieu of this, I propose the following:

Atlasian People's House of Representatives
Pending
[/quote]
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 10:12:43 PM »

That's great! Any objections? If not, we needa move to a final vote!
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »

I think this is a good bill and will help advance a worthy cause of promoting colonization for the future, so I support this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 05:55:26 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2017, 08:06:02 PM »

I object. I don't think that the rights afforded to people should be afforded to potential microbes on a planet's moon and I cannot vote for a bill which has that standard.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies