Colleen Hanabusa running for Governor - Hawaii's 1st Congressional District
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:47:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Colleen Hanabusa running for Governor - Hawaii's 1st Congressional District
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Colleen Hanabusa running for Governor - Hawaii's 1st Congressional District  (Read 977 times)
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2017, 10:36:22 AM »

With Colleen Hanabusa declaring her intentions to run for Governor, her congressional district previously held by Mark Takai, before Hanabusa won it in a special election, will now be an open race in 2018.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 10:45:19 AM »

Both races are Safe D, and I could care less which dem wins in the gov race and her house seat.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 10:51:36 AM »

Both races are Safe D, and I could care less which dem wins in the gov race and her house seat.

I think the former Republican State House Minority leader, Beth Fukumoto could run. She recently became a Democrat after Trump's election, and her State House district is in Hawaii's 1st.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 10:52:37 AM »

I think the former Republican State House Minority leader, Beth Fukumoto could run. She recently became a Democrat after Trump's election, and her State House district is in Hawaii's 1st.

Yeah, I like her, I want her to run for the open seat, and now I can support her since she is a democrat.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 02:15:23 PM »

I'd like to see Ed Case run.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 02:26:07 PM »

He'd have hard time winning. It's an Asian-American seat, it'd be like be one of those majority black seats in the Deep South electing a white Democrat. Possible, but pretty unlikely.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 02:26:45 PM »

This race is practically tailor-made for Beth Fukumoto.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 02:31:38 PM »

Why is there such a big push for Fukumoto? Because she's young and called Trump racist? What's even her voting record?
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 02:44:11 PM »

He'd have hard time winning. It's an Asian-American seat, it'd be like be one of those majority black seats in the Deep South electing a white Democrat. Possible, but pretty unlikely.

Considering how many times the district elected Cecil Heftel and Neil Abercrombie, I would not say it is "pretty unlikely."
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 02:56:28 PM »

This race is practically tailor-made for Beth Fukumoto.

Could she actually win? I can't imagine that the state party apparatus (or the grassroots, for that matter) would be particularly keen on supporting someone who was a Republican until like five minutes ago.
This is a good point.

Why is there such a big push for Fukumoto? Because she's young and called Trump racist? What's even her voting record?
I've heard her described as further to the left than Tulsi, not that that's saying much.

Nearest I can tell, she was more liberal than a handful of Democrats in her voting record (such as Tulsi's dad, who was only a Democrat out of convenience). I think she was always more ancestral Republican than a true belieber in the party's ideology, and he district is one of the few in Hawaii where the GOP is favored over the Dems. I think she's no more conservative than, say, Debbie Stabenow.

Of course, there's the chance I'm totally wrong and she wins the election and becomes an entrenched DINO like her colleague in the second district.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 04:17:16 PM »

Hopefully we get an actual liberal there--and another minority woman would also be good. Fukumoto would be OK but I suspect she's more conservative than she appears.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies