Amendment to stop the President from abusing pardon powers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:39:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Amendment to stop the President from abusing pardon powers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Amendment to stop the President from abusing pardon powers  (Read 1091 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2017, 04:33:17 PM »

In 1974, then-Sen. Walter Mondale introduced a constitutional amendment that said Congress could override a presidential pardon with a two-thirds supermajority. Later - I think it was when Bill Clinton pardoned Mark Rich - Arlen Specter introduced the same amendment.

With Trump abusing his pardon powers, will this amendment make a comeback?

I don't trust Congress, but presidential abuse of pardon powers is out of control, and it has to stop somehow. Both Bushes abused their pardon powers too. The elder Bush pardoned Iran-Contra traitors, and the younger Bush pardoned political cronies.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 08:04:51 AM »

Any use of the pardon power should be backed up by a congressional committee.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 10:09:32 AM »
« Edited: August 27, 2017, 12:44:20 PM by MarkD »

In 1974, then-Sen. Walter Mondale introduced a constitutional amendment that said Congress could override a presidential pardon with a two-thirds supermajority. Later - I think it was when Bill Clinton pardoned Mark Rich - Arlen Specter introduced the same amendment.

With Trump abusing his pardon powers, will this amendment make a comeback?

I don't trust Congress, but presidential abuse of pardon powers is out of control, and it has to stop somehow. Both Bushes abused their pardon powers too. The elder Bush pardoned Iran-Contra traitors, and the younger Bush pardoned political cronies.

I would support the adoption of this kind of a constitutional amendment. But I hope that you can overcome your mistrust of Congress enough to try hard to persuade it to propose it. Maybe Congress is more ripe for considering this now -- because of Arpaio -- than at any time before. If Congress still does not propose it, keep in mind that the only other institution that can propose it is a convention of states. Here's a thread I started about that topic.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=264160.0

EDIT: Come to think of it, as much as I detest the way that the Supreme Court all-too frequently interferes with legislative powers when it should not be doing so, I'd rather have a pardon-limiting amendment written to say that pardons can be overturned by the SCOTUS -- not lower federal courts -- with an instruction to the Court to assess all of the reasons for granting a pardon, and do not allow a pardon to be maintained if it is primarily based on a political loyalty. Waiting for Congress to get a two-thirds majority to agree to overturn a pardon would be too time-consuming. There are so many perils that would come with expecting the legislative branch to make a decision that is more suitable to the judicial branch.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 01:36:03 PM »

The pardon power exists in the first place as a check on the judiciary. If there be oversight of Presidential pardons, it needs to be by Congress.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 03:26:33 PM »

I wonder how Congress would have voted on the Lopez-Rivera and Manning cases. Probably not favorably.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 10:01:37 PM »

I wonder how Congress would have voted on the Lopez-Rivera and Manning cases. Probably not favorably.

I'm not familiar with the former, but I doubt the latter would have gotten two-thirds. Also, it was a commutation rather than a pardon, which I realize is a minor point, but it would likely have mattered had it come up for a vote.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 07:50:04 AM »

Donald Trump is doing a great job at exposing the weaknesses of our current system. Unfortunately, I remember hearing a similar proposal when Bush pardoned Scooter Libby. The Constitution has yet to adapt to 21st century life.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 11:53:26 AM »

Pardoning a guy convicted of nothing but a misdemeanor isn't going to trigger a big push for this, which I oppose anyway.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 01:43:05 PM »

The risk of a person who deserved a pardon having it overridden outweighs the chance of an undeserved pardon.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 02:09:17 PM »

The risk of a person who deserved a pardon having it overridden outweighs the chance of an undeserved pardon.

This
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 02:26:39 PM »

I think at the point of having restrictions on the pardon power, you might as well get rid of it. There's no particularly good reason for it to exist to begin with. The only reason it's there is because monarchs had the power to pardon, and the president was supposed to be a kind of quasi-monarch figure to retain the powers 18th century political philosophers thought were more appropriate to a limited monarch than to a legislature.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 02:41:37 PM »

Part of the reason why pardons are supposed to exist is to make the process of freeing the wrongfully convicted quicker and easier.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 05:03:17 PM »

I think at the point of having restrictions on the pardon power, you might as well get rid of it. There's no particularly good reason for it to exist to begin with. The only reason it's there is because monarchs had the power to pardon, and the president was supposed to be a kind of quasi-monarch figure to retain the powers 18th century political philosophers thought were more appropriate to a limited monarch than to a legislature.
Unless you entirely get rid of pardons, which is like throwing out the baby with the bathwater, there will be some abuse, no matter who gives them out.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies