Democratic Unity is Overrated
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:45:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democratic Unity is Overrated
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Democratic Unity is Overrated  (Read 1275 times)
James Monroe

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2017, 12:18:05 AM »

Thanks for the article Marcus! Finally, someone who's from the base telling the truth our mainstream media won't cover.  

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://medium.com/@marcushjohnson/democratic-unity-is-overrated-a5633b69f74c
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:36:24 AM »

What the writer conveniently overlooks in his tale is that the Democratic Party and the Republican Party are not the same. The GOP doesn't need "unity" because the GOP at its socioeconomic core is much, much more monolithic. The Democratic Party is comprised of dozens of individually-insignificant constituencies that have very little in common in terms of self-interests.

The GOP can get by with overarching platitudes about "lower taxes" and pandering to a specific race and religion, and virtually everybody in their party will be energized by that alone. The Democrats do not have any comparable message that can be delivered so succinctly and simultaneously resonate with the self-interests of the vast majority of its voters.

So yeah, Democratic unity matters a lot more: because there's nothing concrete that actually binds the coalition together.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 01:00:03 AM »

But let's say the Democrats use this same playbook to ascertain a majority in 2020 or 2024: the anti-Trump, anti-GOP, "Screw them cuz we're not them'" strategy and it works out and they get their majority.

And then what? You think the current GOP majority which is plagued with infighting and couldn't get a healthcare bill passed to save its life these past 6 months is something Democrats should try and emulate? The GOP are divided between the far right koolaid drinkers like Cruz/Freedom Caucus and the moderates in the senate; this was a huge reason they couldn't get a healthcare bill passed multiple times. Even tax reform of all thing appears to be in jeopardy.

That's not a majority worth fighting for. If all it's gonna be is infighting and bickering the entire time they're in the majority then why should Democrats emulate this strategy to build a majority coalition?

Bingo.

The GOP can't pass anything because they ignored the schism in their party. Granted, I think the Democratic schism is a little bit overblown (I mean Hillary and Bernie are not that far apart from each other when it comes to policy.), but Democrats should not just be united by being anti-Trump.

Doesn't mean they have to come together on every issue. But they should be in broad agreement on the party goals. Healthcare in 2009 is a good example of this, Democrats disagreed on how to do it, but they all agreed on reaching the goal (which was universal coverage). They should take that same approach with other issues.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 01:27:52 AM »

Establishment Democrats have nothing to offer progressives. They will run on nothing other than "we're not Trump". That didn't work last time.
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 01:42:07 AM »

Well, I guess it depends on what the Dems' goal is. 

If it's just to win elections, then no, of course unity is not required.  The current atmosphere is so polarized, the Dems could run anybody, regardless of who that person is (or how liked or disliked they are), and are guaranteed a certain number of states (same goes for the GOP).  The Dems just need to increase minority turnout in Detroit and FL, flip back those states, and they win.  No unity required.

But Timmy has a point.  If the goal is actually getting something passed, then some amount of unity is required.  Let's say one of the first items on the agenda is some type of universal health coverage.  Well, consider that the closest the Dems could get last time is an old Republican plan from the 90s.  So, there obviously has to be some degree of consensus of the way forward (Lieberman says hello!).

Along those lines though, I think Yank2133 has a good point too.  The schism may seem quite large, and though Griffin has a point that the Dem party is just a collection of disparate demographic groups (many of which have little in common), at the end of the day, I would suggest that they all do believe in some type of universal health coverage (whether that be multi-payer, single-payer, or whatever).  Contrast this to the GOP, where for some, repealing Obamacare was practically the most important thing in the world and a holy crusade, and to others, they could barely hide the fact that they couldn't care less if it got repealed.  Point being- maybe the schism isn't quite as onerous as it may appear.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 02:14:21 AM »

lol Marcus
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 08:39:13 AM »

Unity in general is overrated.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 08:41:04 AM »

When the DNC uses unify they mean unify around their coporate policies.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 08:43:14 AM »

When the DNC uses unify they mean unify around their coporate policies.
Just like bipartisanship means the "sane moderates" and DNC Dems have collaborated on the next foreign war or bailout. Nothing good ever comes from a genuinely "bipartisan" bill.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 08:45:59 AM »

Wow, it's almost like I care more about my political values being represented than making sure the guy from "my team" gets elected.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 09:11:08 AM »

Wow, it's almost like I care more about my political values being represented than making sure the guy from "my team" gets elected.

Exactly
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 09:12:08 AM »

Sure, Democratic Unity is overrated. So is Democratic Infighting.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 09:47:38 AM »

Sure, Democratic Unity is overrated. So is Democratic Infighting.

LOL the establisment is already attacking progressives about Kamala Harris and its only 2017... If you think there will be no infighting in BOTH political parites over the next few years your clearly mistaken.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 10:25:25 AM »

So, the Democrats need to fallow the path of the Republicans? Well, have fun getting elected in 2024 and still not being able to pass anything. Tongue
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 10:27:42 AM »

Sanders isn't "far-left" and the "centrist" relics aren't "mainstream" anymore if intra-party polls are to be believed.

More importantly, the Republicans weren't really divided in 2010 and 2014. The rank-and-file of the party wanted the zero-government (in economics, at least) Tea Party solution, so they primaried the Kasich conservatives and largely got what they wanted. It was just "mainstream" Republicans determined to maintain Reagan-era privileges and scolding their base for not letting them.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 11:04:12 AM »

Exactly

It's sad to see politics devolve into a full fledge spectator sport where all people care about is their team winning and nothing else. I think this might be a big contributor to hyperpolarisation.
I frankly don't care if my congressman, my governor, or the President is of the opposite party. I don't owe the Democratic Party anything, and if the party doesn't share my values and political ideals then I will gladly leave it. If the progressives are booted out in favor of DLC technocrats, then it's clear that the Democratic Party isn't for me anymore.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 11:39:14 AM »

Exactly

It's sad to see politics devolve into a full fledge spectator sport where all people care about is their team winning and nothing else. I think this might be a big contributor to hyperpolarisation.
I frankly don't care if my congressman, my governor, or the President is of the opposite party. I don't owe the Democratic Party anything, and if the party doesn't share my values and political ideals then I will gladly leave it. If the progressives are booted out in favor of DLC technocrats, then it's clear that the Democratic Party isn't for me anymore.

To be quite honest, the Democratic Party has devolved into a bitter mess between stale, smug neoliberals and agitated, "do something right this second" populists.

It reminds me of the GOP circa. 2009, and I don't very much find them appealing as an Independent. I will vote for the occasional Democrat (such as in 2020 very likely), but I don't expect to see myself switching to being a Democrat anytime soon.
James Monroe

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 11:55:46 AM »

Sanders isn't "far-left" and the "centrist" relics aren't "mainstream" anymore if intra-party polls are to be believed.

The last primary debunked your point. No matter how much Bernie Bros proclaimed as the future of the party, key constituents such as woman of color are always going to determine the policies through their powerful voices. Right now the base is being attacked by the bros and I think the only solution that should've been Tom Perez position to begin with, was to never pandered to a bunch of racist, sexist upper-class white guys who will be voting Republican in ten years. If we had followed that advice we would've been in better shape regarding our current division that was caused by the sh**tstorm by Bernard and his gang of deplorables. No matter what comes out of these fraud polls,  the base will backdrop any attempts to allow the far-left opposition into our party.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 12:03:59 PM »

Stopped reading when this hack writer acted as if the Tea Party was angry at DC leaders over anything other than being insufficient budget hawks and compromising on things like the debt ceiling and government shutdowns over it in favor of trying to paint the GOP as racist.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 12:13:04 PM »

The last primary debunked your point. No matter how much Bernie Bros proclaimed as the future of the party, key constituents such as woman of color are always going to determine the policies through their powerful voices. Right now the base is being attacked by the bros and I think the only solution that should've been Tom Perez position to begin with, was to never pandered to a bunch of racist, sexist upper-class white guys who will be voting Republican in ten years. If we had followed that advice we would've been in better shape regarding our current division that was caused by the sh**tstorm by Bernard and his gang of deplorables. No matter what comes out of these fraud polls,  the base will backdrop any attempts to allow the far-left opposition into our party.

Your shtick is tired. You're hitting too many buzzwords and it makes the whole trolling attempt too obvious.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 12:15:09 PM »

Your shtick is tired. You're hitting too many buzzwords and it makes the whole trolling attempt too obvious.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 12:20:58 PM »

It's secretly Peter Daou behind a Vermont keyboard.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 12:53:11 PM »

uti2

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 01:06:34 PM »

Stopped reading when this hack writer acted as if the Tea Party was angry at DC leaders over anything other than being insufficient budget hawks and compromising on things like the debt ceiling and government shutdowns over it in favor of trying to paint the GOP as racist.

Where were all of these tea partyers during the Bush years? They were few and far between like Pence, but overall, the Tea Party mostly came about as a result of Obama and cultural issues. That's why it disproportionately impacted the South.
James Monroe

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 01:16:12 PM »

The Tea Party movement was built on racist tactics. None of these whacks gave any attention about fiscal responsibility during the Bush years, all of sudden, when a black president come into power they ranted on about how much Obama was overspending. Most "fiscal conservatives" have a racist agenda in trying to punish poor minorities through cuts to programs that benefit those communities.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies