1 Payer Megathread - Sanders discusses on MTP - Likely to run as Indy in 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 01:33:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  1 Payer Megathread - Sanders discusses on MTP - Likely to run as Indy in 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: 1 Payer Megathread - Sanders discusses on MTP - Likely to run as Indy in 2018  (Read 13171 times)
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2017, 01:07:55 PM »

You have no idea how angry the left is at the current Democratic establishment. This Forum is going to be blown away by next year's primary results.

Pelosi isn't gonna lose. There isn't some big progressive wave coming.

Yup.

Progressives don't want to hear it, but it is the truth.
Losing to Donald Trump started the process. If you don't support medicare for all go join another party.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2017, 01:20:50 PM »

Shaheen is the latest? Well guess who wont be reelected in 2020. I'll make sure of it
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2017, 01:23:02 PM »

You have no idea how angry the left is at the current Democratic establishment. This Forum is going to be blown away by next year's primary results.

Pelosi isn't gonna lose. There isn't some big progressive wave coming.

Yup.

Progressives don't want to hear it, but it is the truth.
Losing to Donald Trump started the process. If you don't support medicare for all go join another party.
Please tell us more about the imaginary wave that's gonna shake up everything in America.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2017, 07:43:20 PM »

Thank you for Canada-splaining which American Party an American poster should join based on a single policy position.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2017, 07:47:38 PM »

Shaheen is the latest? Well guess who wont be reelected in 2020. I'll make sure of it

Right, lol
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2017, 08:33:36 PM »

HA!

If she loses by a vote, I'll be sure to apologize to your ego
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2017, 08:54:14 PM »

If there are no premiums, deductibles, or copays then labeling this as "Medicare for All" rather than "Medicaid for All" is dishonest.

Like, shockingly dishonest from someone with the reputation of Bernie.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2017, 08:56:59 PM »

Thank you for Canada-splaining which American Party an American poster should join based on a single policy position.

That's typically a line thrown out when you have no counterargument.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2017, 09:09:56 PM »

I think Pelosi's too occupied with things like getting DACA and a funding bill so the government doesn't shut down to get involved in health care, especially when Republicans are (despite recent events) still in charge and can easily bring up Obamacare repeal again.

Wow. Thought to be homest, dental (and vision) is so much cheaper than health coverage that I wouldn't care having to continue to pay for it if it means the bill is less expensive.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2017, 09:16:44 PM »

The fact government funds are going to pay for abortion-on-demand in this bill remains a huge problem.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2017, 01:26:29 AM »

If there are no premiums, deductibles, or copays then labeling this as "Medicare for All" rather than "Medicaid for All" is dishonest.

Like, shockingly dishonest from someone with the reputation of Bernie.

No, that is ridiculous & nonsensical argument. Medicare by design need not have Deductibles or copays. You can have a Medicare with 0$ Co-pays or 1$ Co-pays if you want. There is nothing in the original intent or the present functioning of Medicare that says it must have Copayments to qualify as Medicare.

The working of this in some areas are more similar to Medicare than Medicaid especially when it comes to payment of doctors.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2017, 09:39:26 AM »

Dawn of the Berniecratic Party

Despite more than two decades toiling in Congress, Sanders remained a backbench player, he confided to a top adviser at the time, according to "Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign." He sought a higher profile in the U.S. Senate for the liberal causes he had built his career around. A well-run White House campaign, win or lose, would do the trick. Fast-forward more than two years and Sanders is seeing that notion bear fruit.

While his former primary opponent, Hillary Clinton, is relitigating the last war, an emboldened Sanders is already making moves to shape the next one. Clinton may technically be right, as she continues to assert in interviews, that Sanders "is not even a Democrat." But it's Democrats who are increasingly gravitating to Sanders, as 16 did this week by joining his legislation calling for a Medicare-for-all health care system.

Just look at some of the names who stood next to him Wednesday to roll-out his universal health care pitch: Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Kamala Harris of California and Cory Booker of New Jersey. All are prospective candidates for the presidency in 2020 – and 10 months following the party's harrowing 2016 defeat, they found themselves moving towards Sanders ideologically and physically, as each waited for his call Wednesday to make remarks at a Capitol Hill podium.

But in a sign of how far the debate had moved, even Sen. Joe Manchin, who faces a potentially competitive re-election challenge this year in increasingly conservative West Virginia, paid tribute to the legislation's concept if not its particulars. "It should be explored," he told Bloomberg, later issuing a statement clarifying his skepticism about the merits of single-payer. "Look at the number of people standing with him. [New York Gov.] Andrew Cuomo standing with Bernie Sanders for free college tuition," he said, referring to their joint appearance in January. " Sanders himself may decide to run for president again, but regardless of his personal decision, he's setting an early bar of what constitutes a true progressive in the era of Donald Trump.

https://www.usnews.com/news/the-report/articles/2017-09-15/bernie-sanders-sets-the-bar-for-democrats-ahead-of-2020
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2017, 09:42:13 AM »

Despite more than two decades toiling in Congress, Sanders remained a backbench player, he confided to a top adviser at the time, according to "Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign." He sought a higher profile in the U.S. Senate for the liberal causes he had built his career around. A well-run White House campaign, win or lose, would do the trick. Fast-forward more than two years and Sanders is seeing that notion bear fruit.

While his former primary opponent, Hillary Clinton, is relitigating the last war, an emboldened Sanders is already making moves to shape the next one. Clinton may technically be right, as she continues to assert in interviews, that Sanders "is not even a Democrat." But it's Democrats who are increasingly gravitating to Sanders, as 16 did this week by joining his legislation calling for a Medicare-for-all health care system.

Just look at some of the names who stood next to him Wednesday to roll-out his universal health care pitch: Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Kamala Harris of California and Cory Booker of New Jersey. All are prospective candidates for the presidency in 2020 – and 10 months following the party's harrowing 2016 defeat, they found themselves moving towards Sanders ideologically and physically, as each waited for his call Wednesday to make remarks at a Capitol Hill podium.

But in a sign of how far the debate had moved, even Sen. Joe Manchin, who faces a potentially competitive re-election challenge this year in increasingly conservative West Virginia, paid tribute to the legislation's concept if not its particulars. "It should be explored," he told Bloomberg, later issuing a statement clarifying his skepticism about the merits of single-payer. "Look at the number of people standing with him. [New York Gov.] Andrew Cuomo standing with Bernie Sanders for free college tuition," he said, referring to their joint appearance in January. " Sanders himself may decide to run for president again, but regardless of his personal decision, he's setting an early bar of what constitutes a true progressive in the era of Donald Trump.

https://www.usnews.com/news/the-report/articles/2017-09-15/bernie-sanders-sets-the-bar-for-democrats-ahead-of-2020

I feel sorry for Democrats opposed to Bernie, especially the Blue Dogs.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2017, 10:08:56 AM »

I just don't like the whole cult of personality around Bernie - he can do no wrong, anyone who opposes him is a DINO, his chosen endorsee is the best candidate hands down. This kinda happened, but to a much, much lesser extent, with Obama and Hillary.

Some of the policies he's advocating for ARE good, but I'd rather have them without the cult of personality.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2017, 11:11:01 AM »

I just don't like the whole cult of personality around Bernie - he can do no wrong, anyone who opposes him is a DINO, his chosen endorsee is the best candidate hands down. This kinda happened, but to a much, much lesser extent, with Obama and Hillary.

Some of the policies he's advocating for ARE good, but I'd rather have them without the cult of personality.

The Bernie ''cult'' pales in comparison the cult following of Obama in 2008 (the first election I was old enough to vote for)

The only difference between Obama and Sanders is that Obama told his grassroots supporters to go away after 2008 while Sanders is trying to engage them long-term hence why they're still around

I wasn't old enough to vote in 2008, so I'll take your word for it.

Also, I think using scare quotes for "cult" is kinda disingenuous. I'm not saying "cult," I'm using the term "cult of personality" which is an actual term in political science.

I'm just opposed to any of those kinds of followings, which is why I also couldn't really see myself supporting Melenchon in France unless it was a runoff vs Le Pen.

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »

I agree on the cult thing. I only vote for politicians that no one likes, just to be safe.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2017, 11:15:02 AM »

I agree on the cult thing. I only vote for politicians that no one likes, just to be safe.

Do you ever get tired working at the strawman factory?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2017, 11:35:51 AM »

Do you ever get tired working at the strawman factory?

Yeah and the worst part is they don't even give me heath insurance.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2017, 11:58:10 AM »

Sanders did the Bernie Sanders Show with this insanely beautiful Canadian doctor (who is also very articulate, intelligent & knowledgeable & has appeared in US Senate hearings & spoke during the launch of Medicare-for-all). But what an insanely pretty doctor. Patients will fall sick regularly to be treated by her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma6aQAzcd5w

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2017, 12:01:17 PM »

New poll shows Canadians overwhelmingly support public health care

In a last-ditch effort to convince Canadians that their public health care system should be privatized, Canadian Medical Association (CMA) President Robert Ouellet has promised to “pull out all the stops” during the association’s annual meeting next week. Trouble is, Ouellet’s mission to lead the change to privatization is exactly the opposite of what 86 percent of Canadians want. Meanwhile, Canada’s government just released a report titled “Healthy Canadians — A Federal Report on Comparable Health Indicators 2008.” Its findings almost identically mirror the CHC polling results. In that report, a leading indicator points to the fact that “Most Canadians (85.2 percent) aged 15 years and older reported being ‘very satisfied’ or ‘somewhat satisfied’ with the way overall health care services were provided, unchanged from 2005.”

A new poll conducted by the Toronto-based Nanos Research points to overwhelming support — 86.2 percent — for strengthening public health care rather than expanding for-profit services.

https://www.healthcare-now.org/blog/new-poll-shows-canadians-overwhelmingly-support-public-health-care/
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #145 on: September 15, 2017, 12:02:31 PM »

As you can probably guess, I disagree with him on policy, but you are definitely right. Bernie is quite literally taking control of the party. Both parties can't survive if they are not big tent parties.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2017, 12:14:40 PM »

The Bernie ''cult'' pales in comparison the cult following of Obama in 2008 (the first election I was old enough to vote for)

The only difference between Obama and Sanders is that Obama told his grassroots supporters to go away after 2008 while Sanders is trying to engage them long-term hence why they're still around

Also, I think using scare quotes for "cult" is kinda disingenuous. I'm not saying "cult," I'm using the term "cult of personality" which is an actual term in political science.

I'm just opposed to any of those kinds of followings, which is why I also couldn't really see myself supporting Melenchon in France unless it was a runoff vs Le Pen.

I would not "Cult" but the only successful presidents in terms of policy wise have been massively popular with huge approvals, support, a dedicated fanbase. Sometimes they would be more popular than the party. FDR & Reagan are two great such examples who could define an era.

Sanders in many ways has tried to base his campaign on policy. Bill Clinton & Obama were much more personality focused than Sanders whose appeal is heavily based on policy.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #147 on: September 15, 2017, 12:27:52 PM »

I would not "Cult" but the only successful presidents in terms of policy wise have been massively popular with huge approvals, support, a dedicated fanbase. Sometimes they would be more popular than the party. FDR & Reagan are two great such examples who could define an era.

Sanders in many ways has tried to base his campaign on policy. Bill Clinton & Obama were much more personality focused than Sanders whose appeal is heavily based on policy.

I'll kind of disagree with you here. Sanders' personality is a massive part of his appeal. It's why you can't just take his policies verbatim, give them to a guy like Cory Booker, and have them resonate in the same way.

However unlike Obama or Clinton, this popularity is kind of by accident rather than the feature their careers are centered around.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #148 on: September 15, 2017, 02:14:37 PM »

John Conyers Jr. H.R. 676 Medicare For All Officially Has 120 Cosponsors after TX -34 & R.I.-2 joined today. That's 120 out of 194 house members (62% of house dems support Medicare For All)

Many of the holdouts are from Blue states like CA, MA, Delaware, CT etc which is crazy. Those people need to fight a good primary !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #149 on: September 15, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »

Universal health care would save $17 trillion

$32 trillion. You may have seen this number in corporate media coverage and Republican propaganda. It’s the estimated cost of universal health care over a 10-year period. It’s a big number—a big, scary number. So hacks like the editorial board at The Washington Post use it to scare people with titles like “Single-payer health care would have an astonishingly high price tag.” Compared to what we’re currently spending, universal health care or single-payer health care would save us $17 trillion over 10 years.  This is a number called the National Healthcare Expenditure (NHE). NHE measures everything we spend on health care — both public and private. In 2015, the NHE was $3.2 trillion or $9,990 per person per year.

That $9,990 per person makes us the most expensive healthcare system in the world. It was this way before the Affordable Care Act (ACA) as well. In 2013, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) calculated the average worldwide healthcare spend per person at $3,453. Back to our number: $3.2 trillion in 2015. It increased to $3.4 trillion in 2016. According to the study titled “National Healthcare Expenditures, 2016-2025: health care costs in the United States are estimated to grow at an average annual rate of 5.6 percent from 2016 to 2025. If we apply this growth rate over 10 years, and add up the costs, our current healthcare system will cost $49 trillion.  

$49 trillion (current system) — $32 trillion (single payer) = $17 trillion in savings. Over a 10-year period, universal health care or a single-payer system would save $17 trillion.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/7/23/1682312/-Universal-health-care-would-save-17-trillion
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies