Who Wins the Alabama Runoff?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:25:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who Wins the Alabama Runoff?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who Wins?
Roy Moore

Luther Strange

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 97

Author Topic: Who Wins the Alabama Runoff?  (Read 3374 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2017, 01:20:05 AM »

Something tells me this will be a Thad Cochran 2014 repeat. Tilt Strange because swamp money.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 01:23:58 AM »

Have the 3rd, 4th and 5th placed candidates already endorsed someone ?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 01:36:00 AM »

Have the 3rd, 4th and 5th placed candidates already endorsed someone ?

Either DDHQ or RRH, can't remember, said that Brooks gave Moore the biggest non-endorsement endorsement you could ask for. No word on Pittman or Brinson, but I would imagine they're going to privately vote for Moore if they ran against the incumbent Strange in the first place.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 02:18:05 AM »

Moore, unfortunately.

Another era of hatefulness and religious bigotry is about to begin. Moore shouldn't even be allowed to run if he is currently suspended for being a judge.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 04:19:51 AM »

Moore, unfortunately.

Another era of hatefulness and religious bigotry is about to begin. Moore shouldn't even be allowed to run if he is currently suspended for being a judge.

Someone correctly said that by Alabama standards Moore could pass as a moderate. Yeah, he is a religious nutjob, but there are worse people there. The state was always very conservative socially and racially, and not neccessary - very liberal even on economy. Right now ultraconservative Republicans are "correct" representatives of it, and "liberals" are people like Richard Shelby. So, while i am very glad that Doug Jones won the primary over nobody, he has almost zero chances. Simply beause his positions are much to the left of most Alabama voter's.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 05:06:01 AM »

Something tells me this will be a Thad Cochran 2014 repeat. Tilt Strange because swamp money.
Why would AL blacks derail the rep primaries?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 06:36:22 AM »

Moore, unfortunately.

You say that like Alabama hasn't always had that bubble with their delegation. They're harmless.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 08:58:50 AM »

It's going to be closer than most people expect, but I think Moore wins 53-47 or something like that. Strange is gonna have all the backing of the establishment with probably more money-on-hand, and there's a chance we could see a repeat of MS 2014, but we've seen time and time again that Republican voters don't really care about establishment choices anymore.

If Moore does get the nomination, though, Jones ought to fight tooth and nail in the general. The fact that we might end up with U.S. Senator Roy Moore is absurdly terrifying.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 09:05:31 AM »

Strange over-performed exponentially in the first-round, he'll probably finish less than 6 points behind Moore.  With only 32% of the vote in his pocket, he'll have a lot of work to do but I think he has a lot more potential to expand his base than Moore does.

I don't think Strange winning would be very analogous to MS-2014.  Strange is a "new establishment" figure who has wed himself to Trump.  He's not going to attack Moore from the right or left, he's going to attack Moore from the Trump by saying that he's the candidate who could best pursue the President's agenda.  I expect Trump will be coming to Alabama sometime before the runoff.

I'll predict 54-46 Strange for now, with my map being Strange having big wins in Jefferson, Tuscaloosa, Shelby, Madison, Montgomery, Lee, Mobile, Baldwin and a few Black Belt counties.     
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 09:59:45 AM »

It's going to be closer than most people expect, but I think Moore wins 53-47 or something like that. Strange is gonna have all the backing of the establishment with probably more money-on-hand, and there's a chance we could see a repeat of MS 2014, but we've seen time and time again that Republican voters don't really care about establishment choices anymore.

If Moore does get the nomination, though, Jones ought to fight tooth and nail in the general. The fact that we might end up with U.S. Senator Roy Moore is absurdly terrifying.

Jones is much more liberal then median Alabama voter (who is, probably, closer to Moore). 5% chance..
Fudotei
fudotei
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 11:02:21 AM »

Luther Strange is not that popular in Alabama. An incumbent senator endorsed by Trump himself and with $4 million in ads managed to win ~31% of the vote.

There was a recent case like this where Dean Heller was appointed to the Senate, just in 2011. He won 86% of the vote, not 31%. With that comparison, and the favorable rating gap for Strange (who is underwater) I'd say Moore's definitely leading. 55% right now.. that could improve, honestly. Not a lot of Brooks voters who will transition that into an avoid-Roy-Moore-at-all-costs.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 11:18:36 AM »

Moore wins 55-45.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 06:34:19 PM »

Strange over-performed exponentially in the first-round, he'll probably finish less than 6 points behind Moore.  With only 32% of the vote in his pocket, he'll have a lot of work to do but I think he has a lot more potential to expand his base than Moore does.

I don't think Strange winning would be very analogous to MS-2014.  Strange is a "new establishment" figure who has wed himself to Trump.  He's not going to attack Moore from the right or left, he's going to attack Moore from the Trump by saying that he's the candidate who could best pursue the President's agenda.  I expect Trump will be coming to Alabama sometime before the runoff.

I'll predict 54-46 Strange for now, with my map being Strange having big wins in Jefferson, Tuscaloosa, Shelby, Madison, Montgomery, Lee, Mobile, Baldwin and a few Black Belt counties.     
I think Strange wins. Who would win the black vote in the GOP primary, Strange or Moore?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 09:01:39 PM »

I think Strange wins. Who would win the black vote in the GOP primary, Strange or Moore?

As a gay establishment Republican, definitely Strange.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 09:09:54 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2017, 09:13:11 PM by Maxwell »

Roy Moore, potentially by a lot.

Luther Strange would sell his mom into slavery for another political promotion. He is a literal swamp monster. I dislike both of these men intensely but I somehow cheer on Strange's political demise far more than Moore's, mainly because Moore has been vanquished over and over and over again only to rise again like a zombie. Only one outcome would be humiliating to either man - a large Moore victory over an incumbent Strange.

I say despite knowing that Strange, in the era of Trump, would have a harder time in the general election than Moore. Still, I think Jones has no chance and the best possible hope is a single digit loss.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 09:15:43 PM »

Moore. I generally agree with the ideas put forth in this thread. I'm probably just going to have to start accepting U.S. Senator Roy Moore as a reality at this point. Mississippi is looking pretty good with Cochran and Wicker at this point.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 10:02:45 PM »

Roy Moore, unfortunately. I still can't believe someone who makes traditional marriage a campaign base can still win in 2017. Literally under "positions" he says he opposes same-sex marriage.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 04:57:11 AM »

Roy Moore, unfortunately. I still can't believe someone who makes traditional marriage a campaign base can still win in 2017. Literally under "positions" he says he opposes same-sex marriage.

As was said by many - it's Alabama. One of the most conservative states in US...
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 07:53:57 AM »

Like most Alabamians.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 12:45:17 PM »

Moore, but probably not by as much as people expect.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 12:58:14 PM »

Moore, 52.5-47.5.

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 02:53:35 PM »

Like most Alabamians.

Like the vast majority of humanity.
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 12:11:52 AM »

It's Alabama.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 04:40:36 AM »

Like most Alabamians.

None of it makes it any less terrible.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 05:24:32 AM »

Like most Alabamians.

None of it makes it any less terrible.

Depends on point of view. From yours - of course. From Roy Moore's - quite differently..
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies