Any chance Gore may run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 07:40:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Any chance Gore may run?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Any chance Gore may run?  (Read 2082 times)
Higgins
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2017, 12:01:44 PM »

He's younger than Trump, Biden and Sanders, and could appeal to the Establishment while not offending the Bernie wing. Given his record on climate change and the fact that he's so hated by the right, he could actually be accepted by the Bernie people.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 12:11:40 PM »

This is actually not the most ridiculous scenario I've heard even though he has an infinitesimal chance of winning the nomination.
Higgins
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 12:24:22 PM »

This is actually not the most ridiculous scenario I've heard even though he has an infinitesimal chance of winning the nomination.

Why? He still has name recognition. He's hated by conservatives, which automatically scores him points. Most young people don't remember he was a conservative Democrat, they would just know his work on climate change - another plus. He's not been tied with the Clintons since 2001 - 19 years from 2020 - another plus. He has enough establishment contacts to get DNC support if he wins, but he's been out of office long enough to be considered a semi-outsider.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 12:43:12 PM »

A microscopic chance.  He wouldn't be a bad choice, but he seems content with his other achievements. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 12:44:47 PM »

No, he would of ran in 2004, but chose not to.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 12:57:14 PM »

No way. If he was going to make a comeback, 2008 was probably the year for that.
swf541

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 01:06:13 PM »

Itd be a hard choice between him and delaney
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 01:14:13 PM »

Only if we need to be saved from ManBearPig
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 01:34:05 PM »

I hope so.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 01:43:52 PM »

I hope so as well - he is my favorite Presidential candidate of the 2000's so far.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 01:47:19 PM »

I don't think it's impossible, but it seems unlikely at this point.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 02:59:29 PM »

Personally, I would love to see Al run for President again. Climate change being my biggest issue, I would support him off the bat. Unfortunately, his time has passed and sadly there are no environmentalist champions in the current pool. I think our best way of combating Trump in 2020 is to run a pro-environment candidate like Gore.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 03:16:19 PM »

Gore is acting like a candidate.  He's making appearances here and there, getting free publicity, has a new movie out.  He's cutting a higher profile, the kind of profile that leads folks to have that Eureka! moment when thinking of Gore versus the rest of the Democratic field.  He's got the stature of Biden, but he's also attached to a key issue (environment) in the sense Sanders is, and he's won the popular vote once, like Hillary did.  Of the top tier of candidates, Gore seems to have the plusses without too many of the minuses.  He's well vetted; his liabilities won't be a surprise, but won't render him "under investigation".  I strongly believe that Gore intends to run, and I believe, only a little less strongly, that he would be the most formidable candidate at this point, all things considered.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 03:19:24 PM »

Gore is acting like a candidate.  He's making appearances here and there, getting free publicity, has a new movie out.  He's cutting a higher profile, the kind of profile that leads folks to have that Eureka! moment when thinking of Gore versus the rest of the Democratic field.  He's got the stature of Biden, but he's also attached to a key issue (environment) in the sense Sanders is, and he's won the popular vote once, like Hillary did.  Of the top tier of candidates, Gore seems to have the plusses without too many of the minuses.  He's well vetted; his liabilities won't be a surprise, but won't render him "under investigation".  I strongly believe that Gore intends to run, and I believe, only a little less strongly, that he would be the most formidable candidate at this point, all things considered.

You seem to forgotten that he hasn't run for office in almost twenty years. He's going to be very rusty in his return to the political arena.
Higgins
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 03:30:07 PM »

You seem to forgotten that he hasn't run for office in almost twenty years. He's going to be very rusty in his return to the political arena.

He'll be running against Donald Trump. The only reason Trump won was because his opponent was Hillary Clinton. Gore doesn't have the twenty years worth of baggage, the scandals, the email thing hanging over his head. Trump only won because Hillary was the weakest candidate fielded since Dukakis. Gore might be rusty, but he's a good salesman, and that's all campaigning is.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 03:32:37 PM »

Donald Trump became president, so I guess anything's possible.

If he runs, he could win. Question is, would he run?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 03:54:09 PM »

Practically nil.

After how 2000 turned out, I can't blame him. 2004 was his chance and didn't take it.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 03:56:11 PM »

You know weeks-months earlier I would have said no way and laughed a bit but as time goes on and I see him building a higher profile I now say its not totally out of the question. Depending on who the other candidates are in the primary I may support him again. He was the first candidate that I was old enough to vote for so I will always have that attachment to him. I remember seeing him speak at UCLA October 2000.
CCF-FLS

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 03:57:31 PM »

He'll be running against Donald Trump. The only reason Trump won was because his opponent was Hillary Clinton. Gore doesn't have the twenty years worth of baggage, the scandals, the email thing hanging over his head. Trump only won because Hillary was the weakest candidate fielded since Dukakis. Gore might be rusty, but he's a good salesman, and that's all campaigning is.

Quite the irony of history there. Gore running four years after a Clinton, who herself is called the weakest candidate since Dukakis, who actually beat Gore in the '88 primary. Maybe the "young blood / fresh face" issue with democrats is pretty deep, if we are at this point.

That being said, this may be the best time, as stated, for Gore to run since at least 2000. In fact, if he had won in '00, lost in '04 (which is practically guaranteed) and we had a rather similar-to-OTL McCain, McCain, Clinton, Trump series going up until 2020, it would even be time for him to perhaps run again.

I'm not sure if Gore could do anything to flip anything but Florida the south, (god help us if he lost Florida again), he did lose quite a bit of it back in the day, and rigid environmentalism may not be what the rust belt wants to hear.... but at least he seems more charismatic than he was in 2000 and if he had a younger VP from the right state it could work better than some other potential candidates.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 04:45:59 PM »

Re-elect Gore, two-thousand and ... tweny?
Higgins
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2017, 05:55:17 PM »

Quite the irony of history there. Gore running four years after a Clinton, who herself is called the weakest candidate since Dukakis, who actually beat Gore in the '88 primary. Maybe the "young blood / fresh face" issue with democrats is pretty deep, if we are at this point.

That being said, this may be the best time, as stated, for Gore to run since at least 2000. In fact, if he had won in '00, lost in '04 (which is practically guaranteed) and we had a rather similar-to-OTL McCain, McCain, Clinton, Trump series going up until 2020, it would even be time for him to perhaps run again.

I'm not sure if Gore could do anything to flip anything but Florida the south, (god help us if he lost Florida again), he did lose quite a bit of it back in the day, and rigid environmentalism may not be what the rust belt wants to hear.... but at least he seems more charismatic than he was in 2000 and if he had a younger VP from the right state it could work better than some other potential candidates.

We're in a time where Donald Trump is President. I would say all previous precedents are shattered going forward.

I never much liked Gore (as a potential candidate) until recently. He was stiff and uncharismatic in 2000. He had a cockiness about him that Hillary had in 2016. But being beaten, and mocked has humbled him. Watching him in interviews he cuts quite the Presidential figure, and he seems to have truly grown and gotten wiser since 2000. I would vote for Gore in a heartbeat.

Gore/Harris?

Gore/Gabbard?

Higgins
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2017, 05:56:46 PM »

Gore defeating Trump in 2020, twenty years after his loss to GW Bush, would be the most delicious irony ever. Things would feel like they came full circle. Can you imagine the salt from the GOP/Trumpers if Gore defeated their leader?
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2017, 06:01:29 PM »

If he's sincere about single-payer, and Bernie doesn't run, I could see myself voting for him in the primary
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2017, 06:05:16 PM »

I hope he wins in 2020 and Jeb! challenges him in 2024 so we can get get Bush vs. Gore 2.0.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2017, 06:06:20 PM »

Only if we need to be saved from ManBearPig

This is super cereal, man.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies