NE-GOV: Bob Krist running as a Democrat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:20:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NE-GOV: Bob Krist running as a Democrat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: NE-GOV: Bob Krist running as a Democrat  (Read 5534 times)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2018, 09:30:28 PM »

Ok thank you!
BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2018, 01:46:15 PM »

Geez. But I think running as a Democrat would put him at a severe disadvantage than as an independent, as sad as that (partisanship) is.

If he wanted to go back to the third-party thing, could he?

If he ran as an Independent, he'd inevitably lose some support to straight-ticket Democrat voters. If Krist is successful in running as an Independent, one of the two nobodies currently running for the Dem nomination will win and they would receive votes in November. If Krist takes the Dem nomination, he'd win the straight-ticket votes along with those he'd receive anyway. He won't win, but he'd kill two birds with one stone and will do better than he would as an Independent in a three-way race.

I THINK he could still run as a third party candidate, but I'm not sure that would help him at all, especially with his already anemic fundraising and the fact that he'd have to mudwrestle whatever Dem nominee makes the ballot for scraps. It would look bad because the Republican (Ricketts) and the Dem nominee would be settled by mid-May, while Krist would have to try and establish his party by the August deadline and then proclaim himself their nominee (in addition to creating laws and bylines and party officers for his party) by the September deadline: https://ballotpedia.org/Ballot_access_requirements_for_political_parties_in_Nebraska And, even then, there's no guarantee that the Secretary of State would issue a certification for the party (which can take nearly a month).

You'd have to live here to realize how rigged this whole thing is. NE is a one party state and the election machinery is set up to perpetuate that. I think if Krist presents his petitions with well over the required signatures they will find a way to deny him.

I am getting a sick feeling bout this. We may wind up with just Ricketts and a no name and this could pull down turnout, affecting the Congressional and senate races.

I have thought for some tine that the DNC needs to clean house in their party here i NE. This is ridiculous.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2018, 06:11:17 PM »

Geez. But I think running as a Democrat would put him at a severe disadvantage than as an independent, as sad as that (partisanship) is.

If he wanted to go back to the third-party thing, could he?

If he ran as an Independent, he'd inevitably lose some support to straight-ticket Democrat voters. If Krist is successful in running as an Independent, one of the two nobodies currently running for the Dem nomination will win and they would receive votes in November. If Krist takes the Dem nomination, he'd win the straight-ticket votes along with those he'd receive anyway. He won't win, but he'd kill two birds with one stone and will do better than he would as an Independent in a three-way race.

I THINK he could still run as a third party candidate, but I'm not sure that would help him at all, especially with his already anemic fundraising and the fact that he'd have to mudwrestle whatever Dem nominee makes the ballot for scraps. It would look bad because the Republican (Ricketts) and the Dem nominee would be settled by mid-May, while Krist would have to try and establish his party by the August deadline and then proclaim himself their nominee (in addition to creating laws and bylines and party officers for his party) by the September deadline: https://ballotpedia.org/Ballot_access_requirements_for_political_parties_in_Nebraska And, even then, there's no guarantee that the Secretary of State would issue a certification for the party (which can take nearly a month).

You'd have to live here to realize how rigged this whole thing is. NE is a one party state and the election machinery is set up to perpetuate that. I think if Krist presents his petitions with well over the required signatures they will find a way to deny him.

I am getting a sick feeling bout this. We may wind up with just Ricketts and a no name and this could pull down turnout, affecting the Congressional and senate races.

I have thought for some tine that the DNC needs to clean house in their party here i NE. This is ridiculous.

The Nebraska GOP is pretty obnoxious.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/state-republican-party-officials-say-bob-krist-failed-to-report/article_7948b758-ae1e-11e7-9925-2310b13e6542.html

The fact that rich boy Ricketts is our governor has done severe damage to the independence of the legislature and our state (see: death penalty action in 2015-2016). Don't like the government? Dump money on it!

I at least hope Bacon is voted out this year; holding NE-02 should be the minimum standard for the state Democratic Party.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2018, 10:36:52 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Source: http://ncn21.com/local-news/will-democrats-latest-move-lure-krist/

It might be worth noting that the attorney representing Krist in his ballot access case is David Domina, 2014 Democratic nominee for US Senate: http://www.kristfornebraska.com/sen_bob_krist_joins_lawsuit_to_overturn_law_restricting_independents
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2018, 01:08:56 PM »

http://sandhillsexpress.com/local-news/sources-krist-to-switch-to-democrats-for-gov-run/

Looks like it worked!
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2018, 01:28:05 PM »

ABOUT TIME!!!
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2018, 01:35:26 PM »

That about ties it up. Krist/Kleeb '18.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2018, 01:37:08 PM »

Great news. Reverse-2010 incoming.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2018, 02:29:30 PM »

Ricketts will hit him for switching political affiliations three times in a year, but it's worth it. Nebraska Dems now have a solid top ticket: Bob Krist for Governor and Jane Raybould for Senate.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2018, 07:58:30 PM »

Damn....so many good candidates in OK, KS, NE, and even SD

Dems making a comeback in the Plains
BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2018, 08:04:57 PM »

Ricketts is a special kind of partisan. a real stupid one:

http://www.omaha.com/columnists/plus/hansen-ricketts-grants-then-revokes-nebraska-navy-honors-for-unl/article_06aa4af7-188a-529b-abd5-47b29fe59866.html

The Nebraska Navy is one of those silly fun things. For decades it has been a non partisan deal until this Governor came along, that is. I have seen some silly things happen in NE; having  Governor who actually rescinds membership in a fake Navy and then sends a letter on his letterhead demanding return of the certificate?

This one is gonna be down and dirty.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2018, 08:19:24 PM »

I am mildly skeptical of a democratic wave on the federal level, but there is a possibility that state dems massacre their republican opponents even if that happens.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2018, 03:57:28 PM »

Potentially even the Mountain West, too. The WYGOP has bafflingly fumbled their candidate recruitment for WY-GOV, and if Labrador wins the ID-GOV primary we can expect that race to become open season for career-ending gaffes.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2018, 04:41:46 PM »

That was not a smart move.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2018, 06:13:46 PM »

Potentially even the Mountain West, too. The WYGOP has bafflingly fumbled their candidate recruitment for WY-GOV, and if Labrador wins the ID-GOV primary we can expect that race to become open season for career-ending gaffes.
Will there even be a major GOP candidate or will they nominate Taylor Haines?
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2018, 09:00:37 PM »

Will there even be a major GOP candidate or will they nominate Taylor Haines?

State Treasurer Mark Gordon and/or Speaker Steve Harshman of the WY House will be running. Secretary of State Ed Murray's scandal kind of shook the race on the Republican side. He kind of had the Hillary Clinton inevitability thing going on and froze out everyone else until it was revealed he was a(n alleged) predator. Of the four Republicans currently announced, it's not Taylor Haynes but Harriet Hageman that should be watched. Hageman's dad was a state legislator and she's a Liz Cheney ally. She's extremely well-connected and has her hands in pots all over the state. Taylor Haynes is just Some Dude. Hageman and Mary Throne will be coming face-to-face for the first time in March at a Women's History Month event at the Sublette County Library. Should be interesting to watch.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2018, 03:43:18 AM »

Let's hope so WRT Idaho, Paulette Jordan is The Truth.

I second that, and not just because the idea of a Governor Labrador is singularly horrifying even by the shaky standards of Idaho.

As for Wyoming, it looks like it's gonna be an absolute clown car at this rate. Gordon seems likely to make the jump to salvage the race for the establishment, but I'm not sure if he'll make it through the primary. Haynes isn't exactly a Some Dude any more after he came reasonably close to upsetting Mead in the 2014 primary (54-31, an absolutely pathetic margin for an incumbent governor), and if Cal's testimony is anything to go by, Hageman is a force to be reckoned with.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2018, 11:11:55 AM »

In other Nebraska news, Vanessa Ward is using her campaign social media to sell her book. It's pretty clear why she's running, and it's not to win the nomination.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2018, 02:57:09 PM »

In other Nebraska news, Vanessa Ward is using her campaign social media to sell her book. It's pretty clear why she's running, and it's not to win the nomination.

lol
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2018, 01:00:16 AM »

possible minnick comeback???
BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2018, 11:42:02 AM »

She also has bad baggage from her opposition to an open housing ordnance in Omaha that would have outlawed discrimination against LGBT people. Many Black churches in Omaha sent busloads of members down to city hall to speak against it. Put into context its just flabbergasting.

But, that's another thread, not on here..
BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2018, 11:30:01 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2018, 10:37:56 PM by BL53931 »

Meanwhile, Tyler Davis, the formerly unknown college professor is filing legal challenges to Krist's candidacy.

http://www.omaha.com/news/politics/democrat-tyler-davis-challenges-fellow-gubernatorial-candidate-bob-krist-s/article_a4707595-5e38-5f9a-8598-8a905fdf68a8.html

I swear this guy is a GOP stooge.

Update, I don't think he's in cahoots with the GOP. He is a 'true believer' Bernie Bro. I spent some time today on line arguing with a few of his supporters, they are mostly young college kids. They remind me of the Ralph Nader bunch back in 2000. Very ideological with no practical grasp of political reality. I have to think the NE Dems checked out all the legality of this and doubt his lawsuit has a chance.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2018, 12:43:58 AM »
« Edited: February 23, 2018, 12:53:05 AM by Cal »

Meanwhile, Tyler Davis, the formerly unknown college professor is filing legal challenges to Krist's candidacy.

http://www.omaha.com/news/politics/democrat-tyler-davis-challenges-fellow-gubernatorial-candidate-bob-krist-s/article_a4707595-5e38-5f9a-8598-8a905fdf68a8.html

Update, I don't think he's in cahoots with the GOP. He is a 'true believer' Bernie Bro. I spent some time today on line arguing with a few of his supporters, they are mostly young college kids. They remind me of the Ralph Nader bunch back in 2000. Very ideological with no practical grasp of political reality. I have to think the NE Dems checked out all the legality of this and doubt his lawsuit has a chance.

I actually do think he's in cahoots with the GOP lol okay, I'm not completely serious about that, but Davis has gone back-and-forth between being a Republican and Nonpartisan since first registering in 2005 (he was Republican 2005-2008;Nonpartisan 2008-2010;Republican 2010-2017;Democrat 2017-). I think he's more of a sh*t-stirrer, tbh. I think he got involved in the Dem gubernatorial primary when Kleeb was struggling finding someone and Vanessa Ward made her publicly state she wouldn't run herself. And now that Krist has finally joined, Davis is just stirring the pot some more. He may be appealing to Bernie fans (if Davis supporters are even serious and not just trolls), but I don't think Davis himself holds those beliefs (based on how he's talked since joining and based on how he voted and donated in the past) and is just causing problems. I also don't think he's completely forthcoming with his campaign funds. For someone who is just a supposedly unconnected college instructor (not even a professor), he came out immediately with a professional website and campaign materials. I'm not a conspiracy theorist (I swear lol), but I do think he is trying to cause as many problems as possible and may have some help. Vanessa Ward is, unintentionally, causing problems, too, but hers seems to be based on trying to get fame and attention.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2018, 01:38:42 AM »

Dems picked up a few governorships in these areas in 2002.  I wonder how much the 2018 map could end up looking like the 2002 map.

BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2018, 11:09:33 AM »

I actually do think he's in cahoots with the GOP lol okay, I'm not completely serious about that, but Davis has gone back-and-forth between being a Republican and Nonpartisan since first registering in 2005 (he was Republican 2005-2008;Nonpartisan 2008-2010;Republican 2010-2017;Democrat 2017-). I think he's more of a sh*t-stirrer, tbh. I think he got involved in the Dem gubernatorial primary when Kleeb was struggling finding someone and Vanessa Ward made her publicly state she wouldn't run herself. And now that Krist has finally joined, Davis is just stirring the pot some more. He may be appealing to Bernie fans (if Davis supporters are even serious and not just trolls), but I don't think Davis himself holds those beliefs (based on how he's talked since joining and based on how he voted and donated in the past) and is just causing problems. I also don't think he's completely forthcoming with his campaign funds. For someone who is just a supposedly unconnected college instructor (not even a professor), he came out immediately with a professional website and campaign materials. I'm not a conspiracy theorist (I swear lol), but I do think he is trying to cause as many problems as possible and may have some help. Vanessa Ward is, unintentionally, causing problems, too, but hers seems to be based on trying to get fame and attention.

His vocal supporters seem to be mostly young college aged people. At least that is how things appear. I took time to click on the links to the FB pages of those who were hammering me and, a couple of them look sort of hinky. I sort of doubt Russian Bots are trying to rig a Dem primary in NE, but who knows? They came across as typical potty mouthed Bernie Bros; no awareness of political realities

I hope Kleeb has a killer attorney on this deal. Davis is out to make trouble and they need to stop him.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies