NE-GOV: Bob Krist running as a Democrat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:57:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NE-GOV: Bob Krist running as a Democrat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: NE-GOV: Bob Krist running as a Democrat  (Read 5535 times)
BL53931
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 11:50:40 AM »

Link to the website of the new entry in the race:

http://tylerdavisforgovernor.com/

This is a well done, professional site. Davis obviously has some serious backing. He also looks to have a resume as thin as cardboard. If he gets on the ballot for the Primary he could probably win the nomination, then siphon off perhaps fifty thousand votes from Krist in the General. Maybe I'm paranoid but something about this smells funny.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 12:05:41 PM »

BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 11:16:06 PM »

Here is an article running today in the Omaha World Herald:

http://www.omaha.com/news/politics/after-brief-dispute-with-vanessa-ward-campaign-jane-kleeb-says/article_4c8a2150-f7e5-11e7-89ec-0b5ce4a79e4e.html#comments

IMO, this is a real mess. Neither declared candidate for the Dems is remotely electable and either will only serve to help split the vote and re-elect Ricketts. I have to wonder what sort of Game Kleeb is playing?

Vanessa Ward does not appear to have a campaign web site, just a Facebook page with lots of religious stuff. She's a real winner.

I know little about the principals in this whole thing but I wonder if this isn't the work of the 'pure' Progressive wing of the party who doesn't want to compromise with a Krist candidacy? 

For God's sake, Nebraska Dems. Cut it out. But some of them won't. Ricketts will walk back in.
BundouYMB

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 11:25:35 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2018, 11:27:39 PM by BundouYMB »

http://www.omaha.com/news/politics/after-brief-dispute-with-vanessa-ward-campaign-jane-kleeb-says/article_4c8a2150-f7e5-11e7-89ec-0b5ce4a79e4e.html#comments

IMO, this is a real mess. Neither declared candidate for the Dems is remotely electable and either will only serve to help split the vote and re-elect Ricketts. I have to wonder what sort of Game Kleeb is playing?

Vanessa Ward does not appear to have a campaign web site, just a Facebook page with lots of religious stuff. She's a real winner.

I know little about the principals in this whole thing but I wonder if this isn't the work of the 'pure' Progressive wing of the party who doesn't want to compromise with a Krist candidacy?  

For God's sake, Nebraska Dems. Cut it out. But some of them won't. Ricketts will walk back in.

They literally offered Krist the Democratic party nomination and he said he could never run as a Democrat. He's a Republican. You have to draw the line somewhere. Elections are supposed to provide choices, and while yes you want to nominate electable candidates it shouldn't be a race between a conservative Republican and a moderate Republican. There should be real options on the ballot.

Even if the Democratic nominee loses, the voters deserve an actual choice.

Edit: here's a cite btw: http://kwbe.com/local-news/bob-krist-for-governor-democrats-asked-i-said-i-cant/
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 11:33:46 PM »

Hmm there are more credible candidates in Oklahoma and Alabama than in Nebraska... The last candidate got 39% of the vote which is pretty respectable in 2014.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 11:35:02 PM »

They literally offered Krist the Democratic party nomination and he said he could never run as a Democrat. He's a Republican. You have to draw the line somewhere. Elections are supposed to provide choices, and while yes you want to nominate electable candidates it shouldn't be a race between a conservative Republican and a moderate Republican. There should be real options on the ballot.

Edit: here's a cite btw: http://kwbe.com/local-news/bob-krist-for-governor-democrats-asked-i-said-i-cant/

The problem isn't Kleeb or the Nebraska Democratic Party. He was offered the chance to run as a Democrat, he said no. Aside from that interview above, he's also talked about this in interviews:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Source: http://www.omaha.com/news/politics/sen-krist-makes-it-official-he-s-switching-party-affiliation/article_e9f900e0-9896-11e7-9529-93311a55848a.html

Kleeb's hands are tied. She couldn't find any "viable" Democrats to challenge Ricketts or Krist, so now she's stuck with Tyler Davis and Vanessa Ward.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2018, 12:08:44 AM »

If it meant that much to him, he still should've ran on the Democratic line and then dropped it after winning the primary.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2018, 12:12:19 AM »

If it meant that much to him, he still should've ran on the Democratic line and then dropped it after winning the primary.

Judging by his interviews, he doesn't seem as politically cunning as perhaps he should be.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2018, 06:05:15 PM »

This all seems too cute by half to me. My guess is that the voters will shrug and give Ricketts an easy victory.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2018, 06:45:59 PM »

Ricketts will win re-election
BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 08:45:07 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2018, 08:51:43 PM by BL53931 »

It occurs to me that NE Dems may fear loss of ballot position under state election law if they fail to field a candidate. So they are putting one up but making sure it is someone who won't (hopefully) draw enough votes to be a factor. Seems an odd strategy.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but putting  up an African American, inner city preacher woman seems like electoral suicide in Nebraska. They can't be serious. But hey, it's the Nebraska Democrats, after all.

Krist was indeed offered the Dem nomination on a silver platter. He just couldn't bring himself to run as a Democrat because of his strong 'Pro Life' convictions. (!) We've had many pro life Democrats win elective officei n NE. Ben Nelson comes to mind.  I think he could be competitive but needs to get real.  he's not impressing so far.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 08:47:51 PM »

Colorado Republicans almost lost ballot rights is 2010.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2018, 06:06:38 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2018, 06:14:22 PM by 136or142 »

Politics1.com

@Politics1com
 58m58 minutes ago
More
NEBRASKA: St Sen Bob Krist (Indep), who quit the GOP to launch run vs Gov Pete Ricketts (R) ... is now in discussions with the Dems about becoming their candidate for Governor, per @kwbe1450
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2018, 07:03:51 PM »

Please give us Krist/Kleeb, Based Bob.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 08:24:24 PM »

Politics1.com

@Politics1com
 58m58 minutes ago
More
NEBRASKA: St Sen Bob Krist (Indep), who quit the GOP to launch run vs Gov Pete Ricketts (R) ... is now in discussions with the Dems about becoming their candidate for Governor, per @kwbe1450

Oh thank God lol
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2018, 08:27:33 PM »

Politics1.com

@Politics1com
 58m58 minutes ago
More

This would balance out Orman in Kansas.
BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2018, 10:08:12 AM »

Nothing at all on the Politics1 site today about this alleged meeting. Nothing in local print or other media.

Unless someone can post a link to something more substantial,  I'm not getting excited yet.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2018, 12:47:31 PM »

Nothing at all on the Politics1 site today about this alleged meeting. Nothing in local print or other media.

Unless someone can post a link to something more substantial,  I'm not getting excited yet.

He mentioned a few days ago that he was talking to Democrats but that nothing was settled: http://kwbe.com/local-news/can-democrats-regroup-in-governors-race/
BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2018, 01:35:41 PM »

Thanks for the link. I could have predicted Ward's implosion; she is very poorly placed demographically and politically. She'd be OK for another state office or for Legislature but is out of her league in this race.

I have to wonder if her running wasn't a way of flushing out Krist to change his mind and run as a Dem? I agree with the idea that it may be sinking in for him, he needs to drop the third party and Independent stuff and run as a Dem.  He should be able to do this in Nebraska without feeling he sold his soul. There are lots of other issues besides abortion in NE. Whatever he decides, he needs to get moving. I think the deadline is coming up shortly for ballot access in the Primary.

The activist wing of the Democrats here will raise Cain about Nominating Krist and will coalesce around someone from their rank for the primary. That's their right, but a lot of us here are tired of twenty years of GOP governance. 
BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2018, 11:25:39 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2018, 02:22:55 PM by BL53931 »

Two stories in the World Herald today; one recounts the wide lead in fundraising by Ricketts. The other all the difficulties Krist is having mounting his independent bid.  There seems to be some question as to whether he will even make it onto the ballot.Nothing about him changing his mind and going with the Dems, I am starting to fear he may be too 'principled' to do that.

Great. While this guy dithers, time is slipping by.

Link:   http://www.omaha.com/news/politics/gubernatorial-hopeful-bob-krist-challenges-law-requiring-signatures-to-appear/article_26d2b747-1ecc-5ba6-812e-ef85b86119b1.html
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2018, 03:56:19 PM »

Krist is currently suing over the number of signatures needed to get on the ballot as an independent. However, as Nebraska's Channel 16 verified from a 1998 memo and with the Secretary of State, Krist has until February 15 to become a Democrat and enter the primary. The clock is ticking, but he still has a week and a half to get his sh*t together: http://columbusnewsteam.com/local-news/state-memo-means-krist-has-time-to-join-democrats-run-for-governor/

As mentioned earlier, his fundraising has been extremely weak so far. He's only raised $45,000 with only $14,000 on hand. Running as a Democrat would likely boost his fundraising (Jane Raybould, the Democrat running for US Senate from NE, had raised $370,992 and had $198,180 on hand by December 31, 2017. Raybould announced on August 25 and Krist announced on September 13): http://www.omaha.com/news/politics/ricketts-campaign-fundraising-far-outpaces-krist-s-in-early-report/article_25a8d1b6-1a55-5a32-b185-152f7c5f0d9a.html
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2018, 08:08:27 PM »

So he gave up on the United Nebraska Party?
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2018, 08:50:15 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2018, 08:54:01 PM by Cal »

So he gave up on the United Nebraska Party?

It's really frustrating because he doesn't seem to know what he's doing (which may be the case). He initially announced as an Independent and changed his registration. Then, he announced he was speaking to Democrats, turned them down, then announced he was forming a third party (which needs 5,000 signatures). Then he went back to claiming he was running as Independent (which now needs 100,000+ signatures when it used to need 4,000). Then he claimed he was speaking to Democrats again, then he announced he was suing to make the law only require 4,000 signatures again. What seems to be the case is that he turned down Dems and was running as an Independent because he thought he could reach the new number of signatures. After that failed, he likely tried to reach the 5,000 for an Independent but saw he'd fall short so he is now trying to turn back the law for the smaller 4,000 signature requirement that Independents used to have. He should just swallow his pride, cut his losses, and run as a Democrat. He'd have more structural support and more financial support.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2018, 08:55:48 PM »

Geez. But I think running as a Democrat would put him at a severe disadvantage than as an independent, as sad as that (partisanship) is.

If he wanted to go back to the third-party thing, could he?
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2018, 09:08:12 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2018, 09:13:10 PM by Cal »

Geez. But I think running as a Democrat would put him at a severe disadvantage than as an independent, as sad as that (partisanship) is.

If he wanted to go back to the third-party thing, could he?

If he ran as an Independent, he'd inevitably lose some support to straight-ticket Democrat voters. If Krist is successful in running as an Independent, one of the two nobodies currently running for the Dem nomination will win and they would receive votes in November. If Krist takes the Dem nomination, he'd win the straight-ticket votes along with those he'd receive anyway. He won't win, but he'd kill two birds with one stone and will do better than he would as an Independent in a three-way race.

I THINK he could still run as a third party candidate, but I'm not sure that would help him at all, especially with his already anemic fundraising and the fact that he'd have to mudwrestle whatever Dem nominee makes the ballot for scraps. It would look bad because the Republican (Ricketts) and the Dem nominee would be settled by mid-May, while Krist would have to try and establish his party by the August deadline and then proclaim himself their nominee (in addition to creating laws and bylines and party officers for his party) by the September deadline: https://ballotpedia.org/Ballot_access_requirements_for_political_parties_in_Nebraska And, even then, there's no guarantee that the Secretary of State would issue a certification for the party (which can take nearly a month).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies