The Democratic primaries are gonna be such a sh*tshow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 09:54:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The Democratic primaries are gonna be such a sh*tshow
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: The Democratic primaries are gonna be such a sh*tshow  (Read 8023 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2017, 09:08:41 AM »

Also, you guys are overestimating how many Progressives are willing to defect for a third party; 2016 proved that number is rather low. The bigger worry for Democrats should be turnout. Low turnout has always been associated with poorer Democratic performance. Based on how things are shaping up so far, I don't expect to vote in the 2020 GE.
Ah, must be nice to be a white straight man who isn't affected by the sh**t storm that is trump.  Must be nice to be so selfish and sad that you can't get everything you want so you just sit out.  Must be real nice to sit on your ass rather than do the bare minimum.

Goes for all those who rather see Trump elected than vote dem come 2018 and 2020.  

It is kinda sad the way you are portraying gay people only through the lens of sexual orientation. Gay people are of color (& face racism) & some are economically liberal & some maybe economically conservative & to pigeonhole themselves into a box of gay/straight is pretty sad. There are gay Green party voters including Mike (huge Bernie supporter), the person who does the Humanist Report podcast which has 100K+ Youtube subscribers. Trump is possibly the 1st Republican to support same sex marriage.

Bernie had as big a share of gay voters as Hillary had in the Dem primary. This was the guy voting against DOMA & taking on homophobic Congressmen in the 90's when Hillary came over to support Gay marriage in 2013 (was one of the last to come over). And anyways, if you so care about the future of the SC, why did you support Hillary with all her flaws? Most people atleast recognize her as a terrible & flawed candidate, which you still don't.

Gay people are not servile creatures obligated to vote for the Dems. People have to make the case to gay people, like they do to straight people & earn their votes. And honestly Booker or Harris or any of the establishment hacks are better than Trump. But if you want to play the "Would you rather see Trump" card, you will have record low enthusiasm & turnout from the progressive base.
Is it just me, or does this rant have nothing to do with the quoted post?
It's not just you. I didn't have any real idea where this connection came from either.

He has been sh**t*ing on Bernie, saying they don't give a damn about gay people & about racist Bernie-bros & what not & that all gay people should automatically vote for the establishment Democrat.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2017, 09:10:33 AM »

Also, you guys are overestimating how many Progressives are willing to defect for a third party; 2016 proved that number is rather low. The bigger worry for Democrats should be turnout. Low turnout has always been associated with poorer Democratic performance. Based on how things are shaping up so far, I don't expect to vote in the 2020 GE.
Ah, must be nice to be a white straight man who isn't affected by the sh**t storm that is trump.  Must be nice to be so selfish and sad that you can't get everything you want so you just sit out.  Must be real nice to sit on your ass rather than do the bare minimum.

Goes for all those who rather see Trump elected than vote dem come 2018 and 2020.  

It is kinda sad the way you are portraying gay people only through the lens of sexual orientation. Gay people are of color (& face racism) & some are economically liberal & some maybe economically conservative & to pigeonhole themselves into a box of gay/straight is pretty sad. There are gay Green party voters including Mike (huge Bernie supporter), the person who does the Humanist Report podcast which has 100K+ Youtube subscribers. Trump is possibly the 1st Republican to support same sex marriage.

Bernie had as big a share of gay voters as Hillary had in the Dem primary. This was the guy voting against DOMA & taking on homophobic Congressmen in the 90's when Hillary came over to support Gay marriage in 2013 (was one of the last to come over). And anyways, if you so care about the future of the SC, why did you support Hillary with all her flaws? Most people atleast recognize her as a terrible & flawed candidate, which you still don't.

Gay people are not servile creatures obligated to vote for the Dems. People have to make the case to gay people, like they do to straight people & earn their votes. And honestly Booker or Harris or any of the establishment hacks are better than Trump. But if you want to play the "Would you rather see Trump" card, you will have record low enthusiasm & turnout from the progressive base.
I cannot see how anything you're saying is a counterargument against his points.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2017, 09:12:31 AM »

It's not just you. I didn't have any real idea where this connection came from either.

He has been sh**t*ing on Bernie, saying they don't give a damn about gay people & about racist Bernie-bros & what not & that all gay people should automatically vote for the establishment Democrat.
That's not in any way what he said. He said that only people unaffected by trump's negative policies, such as straight people, can afford to purity test every single candidate into oblivion.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2017, 09:42:34 AM »

That's not in any way what he said. He said that only people unaffected by trump's negative policies, such as straight people, can afford to purity test every single candidate into oblivion.

To repeat it again, It was in reference to the continous assertions (in multiple other threads) about racist Berniebros (with a certain vitriol towards Bernie) & that Berniebros don't give a damn about gay people & that gay people should all vote Democratic because Trump is the opposition (with the HRC praise).

But anyways, it was irrelevant in general to the thread. Let's move on !
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »

Ah, must be nice to be a white straight man who isn't affected by the sh**t storm that is trump.  Must be nice to be so selfish and sad that you can't get everything you want so you just sit out.  Must be real nice to sit on your ass rather than do the bare minimum.

As an first-generation suburbanite who's parents are from one of the seven "muslim ban" countries, who would be directly affected by said "muslim ban", you can go f**k right off with your identity politics. The division of the negative effects of Trump's policies will be much more based off of social class, not on race/gender/sexuality. I'll still be OK, but the guy who loses his healthcare won't be.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2017, 10:38:28 AM »

Amazing how a thread can be well over 50% hot takes. This proves it is indeed possible.

it really is rather impressive, when you think about it.  Although I'm going to throw mine in because we may as well have all of the terrible takes in one place.

To address one of the dumb points from earlier in the thread; economic leftism (for lack of a better word for what i'm talking about) and "SJWs" (who don't really exist in the way that some people think they do) aren't these two opposite wings of the party - indeed, the latter often sit on the left of the party, its just that their primary concerns are different things (which makes 100% sense; if you're black then you're likely to care about issues of racism and police brutality more than a white person; if your trans then how candidates stand on trans issues will have a strong impact on your vote).  Also; both parts are kind of instrumental for the success of any left wing movement - values of economic and social justice historically have both been key in building a winning coalition; look at how important the historical fights against sexism, racism and homophobia (fights which we are still fighting) have been.  To throw one under the bus for short term electoral success has never worked in the past and won't work now.  Also you can have a common manifesto and emphasise different parts of it within different communities...
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2017, 10:44:19 AM »

I reckon it will be like 2004; They'll be a progressive who everyone loves who then collapses, some sort of novelty outsider candidate like Wesley Clark, people trying to pad their resume for 2024 and then some John Kerry type (Chris Murphy, Kamala Harris, etc) will win both Iowa and New Hampshire and the race will be over. The biggest similarity is that much like '04 there won't be a many people running who've been serious candidates before

The only thing that would stop this would be Warren running, and consolidating the field. If not we're going to be seeing 9-10 people who've never ran national races, never had to compete etc

It will be like 2004 in one regard, some fairly economically conservative Democratic like Dean will be regarded as the "progressive" candidate.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2017, 10:58:06 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2017, 11:00:57 AM by Shameless Bernie Hack »

This the dumbest thread I've ever seen. Shame on each and every one of you.

It's a preview of how the primary will go.

Agreed with these two sentiments. Watching the center hacks churn themselves back up into a lather (both here and in the press) over the past couple months has been amusing, not a little offensive, and deeply worrying. We're at about half of the vitriol we were at in like, April 2016, and this is *three years * before we'll have an actual field to deal with.  

*Devout Centrist reads a thread that is practically nothing but blazing hot takes*
Devout Centrist: Wow, this is a dum thread.
You and Timmy: *more scorching hot takes*

I mean look, the head of the top liberal think tank in the country is on twitter going on a crusade about the word 'corn cob,' what do you expect me to say? That the establishment is being entirely reasonable?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2017, 11:02:10 AM »

Ah, must be nice to be a white straight man who isn't affected by the sh**t storm that is trump.  Must be nice to be so selfish and sad that you can't get everything you want so you just sit out.  Must be real nice to sit on your ass rather than do the bare minimum.

Nice try, Hillary Clinton. I voted for the worthless Democrats in 2016 against my best judgments, so why should I do it again? What have they done for me and people like me? What have they done for America? Nothing. And considering my family is dependent upon the welfare system and lacks health coverage, I'm pretty sure the "you're so privileged" argument should be used on someone else.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2017, 11:14:21 AM »

Agreed with these two sentiments. Watching the center hacks churn themselves back up into a lather (both here and in the press) over the past couple months has been amusing, not a little offensive, and deeply worrying. We're at about half of the vitriol we were at in like, April 2016, and this is *three years * before we'll have an actual field to deal with.  

*Devout Centrist reads a thread that is practically nothing but blazing hot takes*

I mean look, the head of the top liberal think tank in the country is on twitter going on a crusade about the word 'corn cob,' what do you expect me to say? That the establishment is being entirely reasonable?

This thread is literally the first place I've ever seen this "corncob" thing and from reading it I'm still not entirely sure what it refers to, so I have a very difficult time believing that this is going to be the defining issue of 2020.

Also liberal think tanks != Democratic Party establishment.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »

And by the way, my comment as not meant to defend "the establishment" or any party in this er, "debate". My point is this entire thread, from all sides, is nothing but people throwing absolutely scorching hot takes at each other. This thread might be a contributor to climate change at this rate.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2017, 12:16:10 PM »

Nice try, Hillary Clinton. I voted for the worthless Democrats in 2016 against my best judgments, so why should I do it again? What have they done for me and people like me? What have they done for America? Nothing. And considering my family is dependent upon the welfare system and lacks health coverage, I'm pretty sure the "you're so privileged" argument should be used on someone else.
I wasn't aware that the 111th Congress didn't pass anything to benefit all Americans, only "social issues".
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2017, 12:26:24 PM »

ETA: Wrong thread.
NEW JERSEY FOR MENENDEZ
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2017, 12:27:42 PM »

This thread is already such a sh*tshow
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »

I wasn't aware that the 111th Congress didn't pass anything to benefit all Americans, only "social issues".

When did I say anything about social issues? And, yes, the ACA was a good step in the right direction, but it was modeled after Romney's healthcare plan in Massachusetts. It was a Republican, corporate friendly policy. And yes, Obama and the Democrats extended unemployment benefits (after holding them hostage with a midterm election) and provided support for aspects of the welfare system. I don't deny that. But those were lukewarm policies at best. Democrats didn't do anything substantive and repeatedly failed with foreign policy, stabilizing the economy, tackling income inequality, addressing the needs of workers, or doing anything at all about the elite who destroyed our economy and continue to screw us over repeatedly. That's why people lost faith in them. They did absolutely nothing of note to substantially help the average person. Obama, like the Clintons and the majority of the party, was completely worthless.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2017, 12:48:29 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2017, 12:51:37 PM by Devout Centrist »

Healthcare took up the majority of their agenda in 2009 and 2010, but there are also numerous areas where Obama and the Congress were able to help improve people's lives:

--American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which expanded the Earned Income Tax Credit, college credit, child tax credit, dedicated billions more to Medicaid and education, increases to Pell grants, billions more for low income public school students, added money for childcare services, gave billions to food stamps, more money for TANF ($3 billion), millions more for free school lunches, and billions in infrastructure investment. This list is by no means exhaustive.
--HEARTH Act, which dedicated more funding to the HUD
--Unemployment Compensation Extension Act, which extended unemployment benefits by 13 weeks
--Healthy and Hungry Kids Act, giving billions for free lunches and child nutrition programs.

These are just off the top of my head. If you want more examples, let me know.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2017, 01:12:16 PM »

Healthcare took up the majority of their agenda in 2009 and 2010, but there are also numerous areas where Obama and the Congress were able to help improve people's lives:

--American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which expanded the Earned Income Tax Credit, college credit, child tax credit, dedicated billions more to Medicaid and education, increases to Pell grants, billions more for low income public school students, added money for childcare services, gave billions to food stamps, more money for TANF ($3 billion), millions more for free school lunches, and billions in infrastructure investment. This list is by no means exhaustive.
--Unemployment Compensation Extension Act, which extended unemployment benefits by 13 weeks
--Healthy and Hungry Kids Act, giving billions for free lunches and child nutrition programs.

As noted above, I said that Obama and Democrats did some good, but that it amounted to peanuts, especially compared to what was possible. All the progress they made was mediocre at best. And there were often rollbacks of progress, such as expansion of the drone war, surveillance of allies, destruction of Libya, expanding mass deportations, presiding over the growth of income inequality to record levels, failure to punish those responsible for crashing the economy, allowing bailed out banks to continue foreclosing on Americans, pushing through a stimulus package that was over $1 trillion less than was needed, austerity policies like focusing on the deficit, maintaining a high military budget, protecting the Patriot Act, bringing in Wall Street and other elites into the Obama Administration, not trying to create a national works program, break up the large banks, truly end too big to fail, expanding corporate oriented free trade agreements, and I could go on.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2017, 01:48:30 PM »

Says the guy who made a multiple page thread b!tching about how trans people never existed at his college and how he shouldn't have to ask for people's gender pronouns.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2017, 02:00:34 PM »

...uh yeah, the point being those are fringe things that have f[inks] all to do with who's President.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2017, 02:03:32 PM »

...uh yeah, the point being those are fringe things that have f[inks] all to do with who's President.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocEouB1gi14
The_Texas_Libertarian
TXMichael
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2017, 02:17:55 PM »

There it is.  The SJW attitude that led to my defection from the left.  Looks like the Dem base doesn't want me around either, lol
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2017, 02:23:25 PM »

I reckon it will be like 2004; They'll be a progressive who everyone loves who then collapses, some sort of novelty outsider candidate like Wesley Clark, people trying to pad their resume for 2024 and then some John Kerry type (Chris Murphy, Kamala Harris, etc) will win both Iowa and New Hampshire and the race will be over. The biggest similarity is that much like '04 there won't be a many people running who've been serious candidates before

The only thing that would stop this would be Warren running, and consolidating the field. If not we're going to be seeing 9-10 people who've never ran national races, never had to compete etc

It will be like 2004 in one regard, some fairly economically conservative Democratic like Dean will be regarded as the "progressive" candidate.

I mean sure Kunich and other no-hopers were more progressive; but it's hardly controversial to suggest that Dean was from the Progressive wing of the party

As noted above, I said that Obama and Democrats did some good, but that it amounted to peanuts, especially compared to what was possible. All the progress they made was mediocre at best. And there were often rollbacks of progress, such as expansion of the drone war, surveillance of allies, destruction of Libya, expanding mass deportations, presiding over the growth of income inequality to record levels, failure to punish those responsible for crashing the economy, allowing bailed out banks to continue foreclosing on Americans, pushing through a stimulus package that was over $1 trillion less than was needed, austerity policies like focusing on the deficit, maintaining a high military budget, protecting the Patriot Act, bringing in Wall Street and other elites into the Obama Administration, not trying to create a national works program, break up the large banks, truly end too big to fail, expanding corporate oriented free trade agreements, and I could go on.

Libya was going to be destructed the moment people tried to rebel against Gaddafi; I'd much rather the US/NATO/Arab League intervened and stopped Tripoli turning into something out of Bosnia
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2017, 02:32:06 PM by Jacobin American »

There it is.  The SJW attitude that led to my defection from the left.  Looks like the Dem base doesn't want me around either, lol

The more I talk to Democrats/liberals the more I realize that we're not on the same side. They may be better than Republicans, from my perspective, but we aren't friends. Socialists aren't simply "super duper liberals;" Socialism is fundamentally different and has an entirely distinct worldview from Liberalism. In fact, historically, Liberals and Socialists have been irreconcilable enemies in many situations. In Scandinavia, they occupy opposite sides of the political spectrum (yes, even the Social Liberals are more allied with right-liberals and Conservatives there).

As for the alleged "SJW attitude," their approach to it is incredibly limited and focuses exclusively on integrating favorable minority groups into the existing system. It's merely political and for power; they aren't really challenging anything. Just look at how callous they are towards low income Americans, especially those who're White, if they don't do exactly as liberals think they should. So much for truly worrying about the disadvantaged when you have folks on here saying they'd love to see unemployed coal miners having to prostrate themselves before their liberal superiors.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2017, 02:43:28 PM »

A non sequitur. From the guy,who believes that 90% of white teenagers today are Nazis. Roll Eyes
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2017, 03:05:52 PM »

There it is.  The SJW attitude that led to my defection from the left.  Looks like the Dem base doesn't want me around either, lol

The more I talk to Democrats/liberals the more I realize that we're not on the same side. They may be better than Republicans, from my perspective, but we aren't friends. Socialists aren't simply "super duper liberals;" Socialism is fundamentally different and has an entirely distinct worldview from Liberalism. In fact, historically, Liberals and Socialists have been irreconcilable enemies in many situations. In Scandinavia, they occupy opposite sides of the political spectrum (yes, even the Social Liberals are more allied with right-liberals and Conservatives there).
Just curious: by socialist, do you mean advocating the seizure of the means of production and whatnot?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies