Florida and Ohio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:33:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Florida and Ohio
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Florida and Ohio  (Read 1343 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2017, 09:32:08 PM »

What are the odds that a Democrat (presumably Warren) wins the election while losing Ohio and Florida?
I still consider the latter a swing state, which however is a too perfect fit for Trump, whereas Ohio is becoming the new Alabama, which is gone for the Democrats for the next decades.
Which states would become the new bellwether? New Mexico and Nevada?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 10:07:46 PM »

MI, WI,Pa and VA and FL
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 10:08:04 PM »

While losing OH?  Not only possible, but actually I suspect OH is going to be increasingly irrelevant to the Dems' path to the White House (obviously it will still be winnable in the next few cycles and the Dems would love to have it if they can).

While losing FL?  Probably not possible.  If the Dems are losing FL, they're almost certainly behind a few other states as well that they need to win.

Finally, OH becoming the new AL?  Eh???

I discuss this extensively in the "OH the new MO?" thread... long story short, OH is not going to become a "safe R" state, at least in the short term, and even if it does, OH has practically nothing in common with AL, either historically or in contemporary growth patterns.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 10:12:40 PM »

FL is becoming the new NC while OH is more like MO, which will be like 1960 and lose its bellweather status. But, with Trump, OH still will be in play
AN63093

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 10:14:19 PM »

As to your second question, I don't think NM or NV will ever be bellwethers.

FL will be a bellwether, in both the short and long term, I believe.

Long long term, (not this decade or maybe even the next, but eventually), I think TX could become a bellwether.  
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 10:17:10 PM »

FL is becoming the new NC while OH is more like MO, which will be like 1960 and lose its bellweather status. But, with Trump, OH still will be in play

Uh, no?

Ohio more Republican now than ever because of Trump. Replace him with more conventional Republicans like Romney at the Presidential level, and it's back to being the same-old swing state.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 10:19:15 PM »

This is my prediction for now. (Right now it seems reasonable to assume that Warren will choose Bullock as her running mate, hence Montana being blue.)

AN63093

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 10:20:21 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2017, 10:25:53 PM by AN63093 »

I don't understand what you mean by "FL is becoming the new NC."

FL is a mix of Old South, middle class people from all over in central FL, Latin America, retirees, and old Jews from NY.

NC is a turnout battle between blacks, millennial whites and liberals that have moved into the Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte MSAs, vs. older whites and conservatives that have moved in.

Both states are winnable by both parties, though FL has been for a little while longer and NC is more R leaning.

I'm not seeing the similarity.

Now if you reversed your statement and said "NC is becoming the new FL," that actually makes a little more sense to me, though FL is going to be significantly more Hispanic I think.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 10:23:03 PM »

If Ohio does lose its bellwether status, Florida would become the "ultimate" bellwether, last siding with the loser in 1992. If a Democrat wins without Ohio or Florida, then it would be a three-way tie between Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, assuming Iowa also goes Republican. Long term, Florida seems to be the likeliest candidate for a bellwether state, but maybe one or more of the Kerry/Trump states could become bellwethers, if they don't trend further to the right.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 10:25:10 PM »

As to your second question, I don't think NM or NV will ever be bellwethers.

FL will be a bellwether, in both the short and long term, I believe.

Long long term, (not this decade or maybe even the next, but eventually), I think TX could become a bellwether.  

New Mexico is already a bellwether, at least in terms of the popular vote; it has only voted once for the PV loser since it gained statehood. And if Florida votes for Trump again, even though Warren wins the presidency, it's hard to tell if it can still be called a bellwether.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 10:29:08 PM »

Democrats can carve a path to victory without Florida, but they should still contest it heavily. Not necessarily because they need to win it but to simply block the Republican from 270 if that makes sense. They don't need it as much as the Republicans do but they still shouldn't let them have it with so much potential for votes there. FL will be the bellwether while Ohio becomes Lean GOP.

Ohio is irrelevant with Virginia and Colorado shifting to the Democrats long term.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 10:32:28 PM »

Not very likely. But the Democrats can win without it, probably will be difficult though. The path would be MI + WI + PA + VA.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 10:35:22 PM »

This would be the most minimalist pattern for the Democrats to win without FL nor OH:

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 10:37:18 PM »

This would be the most minimalist pattern for the Democrats to win without FL nor OH:

I think Democrats are much more likely to win Wisconsin than ME-02, at this point.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 10:47:12 PM »

In the "minimalist" map I posted the best bellwether states would be Michigan and Pennsylvania, since they would have voted for the overall winner since 2008.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 12:21:57 AM »

Neither side is winning without Florida in 2020.
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 04:14:22 PM »

It's possible for the Democratic candidate to win without Florida, although the odds are minuscule. I think the most likely path would be to flip back MI, PA and WI. There's no way swing states with a red tint (NC, AZ and NE-2) flip without FL flipping too.
Rjjr77
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 08:41:36 PM »

One thing you have to remember about Ohio. It will always be a bellwether, just perhaps a different kind. If the GOP is winning places like Ohio by 5-10 points, MI, PA, MN, WI are in play. 0-5 they probably arent.
ethanforamerica
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -2.00

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 08:47:23 PM »

Eh. Ohio was won by trump for the same reason Pennsylvania and Michigan were. However, it's an uphill battle for Dems statewide since Portman won Cincinnati
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 07:48:22 PM »

This is my prediction for now. (Right now it seems reasonable to assume that Warren will choose Bullock as her running mate, hence Montana being blue.)

I don't think Bullock as a VP pick would automatically win Democrats Montana.

That aside, I can't see a Democratic ticket carrying Alaska and Arizona but losing Florida.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 10:58:53 PM »

I don't think Bullock as a VP pick would automatically win Democrats Montana.

That aside, I can't see a Democratic ticket carrying Alaska and Arizona but losing Florida.

To be fair, a Republican actually flipping Wisconsin and Pennsylvania and doing better in Arizona than North Carolina or Ohio wasn't considered possible either.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 11:12:28 PM »

Ohio's not becoming a new Alabama. Voting is still much less polarized along racial lines in Ohio than Alabama. And I'm skeptical that Ohio will lose its bellwether status in the short term. I can definitely see Democrats winning without it at this point though, since Florida and North Carolina now have a lot of ECs. My guess is that in 2020, Trump wins Ohio by a significantly reduced margin if he doesn't lose it.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies