College Football pick'em 2017- Gameplay and scoring thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:12:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  College Football pick'em 2017- Gameplay and scoring thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 30
Author Topic: College Football pick'em 2017- Gameplay and scoring thread  (Read 31333 times)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: November 15, 2017, 12:05:34 AM »

Well so far RINO Tom  strategy of picking against the group consensus in a number of games is working as Akron beat Ohio.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #426 on: November 15, 2017, 08:27:39 AM »

November 14

Ohio at Akron

November 15

Western Michigan at Northern Illinois

November 17

Middle Tennessee at Western Kentucky

UNLV at New Mexico

November 18

TCU at Texas Tech

Michigan at Wisconsin

UCLA at USC

Maryland at Michigan State

Nebraska at Penn State

Kansas State at Oklahoma State

Mississippi State at Arkansas

Purdue at Iowa

Minnesota at Northwestern

Texas A&M at Mississippi

Texas at West Virginia

Arizona at Oregon

California at Stanford

Rutgers at Indiana

UCF at Temple

SMU at Memphis

Pittsburgh at Virginia Tech

Fresno State at Wyoming

Kentucky at Georgia

Navy at Notre Dame

Georgia Tech at Duke

Syracuse at Louisville

UAB at Florida

Army at North Texas

LSU at Tennessee

Florida International at Florida Atlantic

Marshall at Texas San Antonio

NC State at Wake Forest

Missouri at Vanderbilt

Air Force at Boise State
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #427 on: November 15, 2017, 12:57:17 PM »

While I gave up on the pick-em' a few weeks ago, I'll go ahead and share my current prediction for the playoff:

1) Undefeated ACC champion (Miami)
2) One loss Big 12 champion (Oklahoma)
3) One loss SEC champion (Georgia)
4) One loss non-SEC champion (Alabama)

With Auburn, Clemson and Ohio State being the first 3 out (not really sure of the order though)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #428 on: November 15, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »

Well so far RINO Tom  strategy of picking against the group consensus in a number of games is working as Akron beat Ohio.

Muahaha
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #429 on: November 15, 2017, 01:04:45 PM »

While I gave up on the pick-em' a few weeks ago, I'll go ahead and share my current prediction for the playoff:

With Auburn, Clemson and Ohio State being the first 3 out (not really sure of the order though)

If Georgia loses to Alabama, or if Alabama loses to Auburn, it's possible Auburn gets in instead.

Ohio State is out, and I'm confident Clemson will beat Miami(FL) in the ACC Championship game.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #430 on: November 15, 2017, 01:10:12 PM »

If Georgia loses to Alabama, or if Alabama loses to Auburn, it's possible Auburn gets in instead.

Ohio State is out, and I'm confident Clemson will beat Miami(FL) in the ACC Championship game.

Alabama loses to Auburn in the Iron Bowl; then Auburn loses the rematch to UGA in Atlanta.

It'd be hard to take a 10-3 Auburn over an 11-1 Alabama for the #4 spot in that scenario. 
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #431 on: November 15, 2017, 01:21:21 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2017, 01:57:49 PM by NewYorkExpress »

Alabama loses to Auburn in the Iron Bowl; then Auburn loses the rematch to UGA in Atlanta.

It'd be hard to take a 10-3 Auburn over an 11-1 Alabama for the #4 spot in that scenario.  

Auburn's already beat Georgia once, I find it hard to believe they don't do it again. It would be Alabama and Auburn in that scenario.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #432 on: November 15, 2017, 01:49:34 PM »

And in other news, Illinois has set a Big Ten record!

41-point underdogs at Ohio State, haha.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #433 on: November 15, 2017, 01:58:16 PM »

And in other news, Illinois has set a Big Ten record!

41-point underdogs at Ohio State, haha.

Which is why that game is not on our board.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #434 on: November 16, 2017, 11:39:36 PM »

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-college-football-playoffs-doomsday-scenarios/?ex_cid=538twitter

538's got a nice take on the potential chaos facing the College Football Playoff.

Personally, I think they're understating an undefeated UCF. I'd swap them out for Auburn or the TCU/Oklahoma loser on that fourth scenario.

Seriously, If I were on the committee, I would be giving serious thought to UCF, especially if they finish the season unbeaten.

Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #435 on: November 17, 2017, 11:04:26 AM »

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-college-football-playoffs-doomsday-scenarios/?ex_cid=538twitter

538's got a nice take on the potential chaos facing the College Football Playoff.

Personally, I think they're understating an undefeated UCF. I'd swap them out for Auburn or the TCU/Oklahoma loser on that fourth scenario.

Seriously, If I were on the committee, I would be giving serious thought to UCF, especially if they finish the season unbeaten.

I would not. What would be their signature win, Memphis?? UCF is not on the same level as the top-tier teams.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #436 on: November 17, 2017, 11:36:46 AM »

I don't know where they teach this level of cognitive dissonance. I'm dumbfounded.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #437 on: November 17, 2017, 01:17:15 PM »

I would not. What would be their signature win, Memphis?? UCF is not on the same level as the top-tier teams.

Bad take. UCF is very clearly a top 10 team, something confirmed by the eye test and most of the computer rankings. To fault a G5 team for failing to schedule teams that they somehow should have known would be good years in advance is just dumb. Georgia very clearly was not punished in the rankings for playing in the worst division in the P5 (a division worse than the Memphis-led AAC West, coincidentally) so for the committee to so punish UCF is dumb and inconsistent.

The G5 really should go ahead with their plan for a separate playoff; the P5 will raise hell about it since it'll definitely cost them recruits and prestige, but the system as-is has shown it will not treat them fairly.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #438 on: November 17, 2017, 04:48:04 PM »

I don't know where they teach this level of cognitive dissonance. I'm dumbfounded.

What, suggesting a UCF team that remains unbeaten should be in the playoff? That's a credible argument to me.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #439 on: November 17, 2017, 04:52:10 PM »

What, suggesting a UCF team that remains unbeaten should be in the playoff? That's a credible argument to me.

Smilo is a big FCS/G5 person. I assume he was referring to Alabama_Indy.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #440 on: November 17, 2017, 04:54:27 PM »

I see... I would have liked it if he specified who he was replying to...I don't like replying to comments that have nothing to do with me.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #441 on: November 17, 2017, 05:49:07 PM »

This really makes it unfortunate that the Georgia Tech game had to be cancelled. That would have been a very respectable win. Hell, UCF probably would be ranked in the top 10 with that win.

I’m also surprised that we don’t have more Wisconsin love on here. They could sneak into a number 2 seed with enough chaos. They have to win out, but forgive me if I don’t think Michigan and Ohio State are too intimidating right now for a Wisconsin team on a hot streak.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #442 on: November 17, 2017, 05:51:38 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2017, 05:53:36 PM by Santander »

Wisconsin has beaten literally nobody, play in one of the worst P5 divisions, and have weak crossover games. They were rather lucky to beat Purdue at home.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #443 on: November 17, 2017, 06:16:37 PM »

Wisconsin has beaten literally nobody, play in one of the worst P5 divisions, and have weak crossover games. They were rather lucky to beat Purdue at home.

Iowa and Northwestern this year have not been literal nobodies. That said, playing three cupcakes in non-conference (BYU wouldn't normally be a cupcake, but they're playing horribly this year), and struggling against Illinois and Purdue disqualifies them unless they win out, which they won't. They'll lose to either Michigan (which I have) or Ohio State (also likely given how good JT Barrett is).
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #444 on: November 17, 2017, 09:34:10 PM »

FAU is a better win than Purdue. The Owls are a top-30 team.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #445 on: November 17, 2017, 10:19:43 PM »

The point is that how poorly they played against Purdue (and Illinois) should disqualify Wisconsin unless they win out.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #446 on: November 17, 2017, 11:16:03 PM »

The point is that how poorly they played against Purdue (and Illinois) should disqualify Wisconsin unless they win out.

I disagree. The game wasn't nearly as close as the score would indicate. Wisconsin gained almost 500 yards offense and allowed less than 300. It was only as close as it is because of some poor turnover luck for Wisc.

I'm not saying that Wisconsin hasn't played a poor schedule - it's bad. But FAU is actually a better win than folks would expect!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #447 on: November 18, 2017, 12:15:57 AM »

I disagree. The game wasn't nearly as close as the score would indicate. Wisconsin gained almost 500 yards offense and allowed less than 300. It was only as close as it is because of some poor turnover luck for Wisc.

I'm not saying that Wisconsin hasn't played a poor schedule - it's bad. But FAU is actually a better win than folks would expect!

How do you explain the game against Illinois then?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #448 on: November 18, 2017, 12:28:37 AM »

I see... I would have liked it if he specified who he was replying to...I don't like replying to comments that have nothing to do with me.

The cognitive dissonance is related to your stance in the last argument. I don't find UCF to be worthy (probably a 10-15 ranking is accurate), but it's an acceptable stance. So long as the same person does not hold a view that G5 are inherently weaker than the worst P5 teams bar a few. In that case, even if UCF were better, their resume would have literally a dozen wins against the bottom half of FBS.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #449 on: November 18, 2017, 12:33:53 AM »

The cognitive dissonance is related to your stance in the last argument. I don't find UCF to be worthy (probably a 10-15 ranking is accurate), but it's an acceptable stance. So long as the same person does not hold a view that G5 are inherently weaker than the worst P5 teams bar a few. In that case, even if UCF were better, their resume would have literally a dozen wins against the bottom half of FBS.

I said that, with exceptions, Power Five schools are better. This year, UCF is an exception to that rule (along with USF, Memphis and probably San Diego State).
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies