College Football 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:23:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  College Football 2017
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: College Football 2017  (Read 698 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2017, 08:41:20 PM »

Even when I am as burdened as I am, y'all are gonna make me create the most second important thread on the forum (after PAPOY), ain't ya?! My knowledge is severely down from last year, so here goes nothing:

American: Another year, another shake-up with the American coaches, but Charlie Strong Quinton Flowers joining forces should be very lethal to any of the cupcakes they'll face! I am fully on the bandwagon - two years in the making, a big name coach brings consistency and actually shows up to the NY6 with a competitive team. Scott Frost and UCF join in on a major resurgence and allows the south to usurp the focus of the league away from the northeast. Temple fresh off losing its best ever coach, QB, LB and possibly HB collapses behind the pack. East Carolina showed bursts last year, but I'm afraid if they don't fix the inconsistencies, they will find themselves just short of getting back to bowl eligibility. ECU and Temple both start early against top 10 FCS opponents, so they better not sleep through the payout games (- ECU should be an underdog)!
1. USF 2. UCF 3. Cincinnati 4. East Carolina 5. Temple 6. Connecticut
The West is a completely different story as it remains tough from top-to-bottom with even more parity than last year. Look out for a 6-2 tiebreaker to win this one. On gut feeling, I was rushing to pick Navy as the best team, but with road trips to Memphis, Houston and Tulsa, that is enough to scare me away. The Tigers have a tough enough front to hold them off at home, and while they can be beat by the long ball, there are less teams in the league that can do that this year (with Ward gone and Tulsa likely to be a lot more balanced running given the make-up of their roster). Don't sleep on Tulane who awoke from their long slumber to have a few thrilling victories finally, but the OOC is likely too tough to seek more than five wins.
1. Memphis 2. Navy 3. Tulsa 4. Houston 5. SMU 6. Tulane

USF defeats Memphis

ACC: Ahh, the pre-anointed four team race to a playoff spot. No, I doubt NC State is a serious threat too, very much so, and I also think can't begin to understand the Florida State lovefest when Dalvin Cook was the sole driving force for this team last season. They'll be strong in the backfield again, but Clemson's line on both sides remains a terrifying strength. Against my better judgement of talent, I am going to go with a 2-loss FSU taking the title and even better yet, drop a terrific Clemson behind everybody's pick to flail in Louisville because they will suffer an incomprehensible loss or two! Out of conference cupcakes carry in Cuse and Wake to bowls - if they can avoid faltering against BC, never an easy task!
1. Florida State 2. Louisville 3. Clemson 4. NC State 5. Syracuse 6. Wake Forest 7. Boston College
The Who Care division is as who care as ever! Here's my analysis...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz. For real though - Georgia Tech is everyone's sleeper even though they have perennial FCS power Jacksonville State on the schedule. JSU is slightly down, but if you are looking for a big upset... You have to have more guts to pick the Jackets than it looks on paper. Brutal non-conference! Pitt's in a similar pickle. I'll stay safe with the super talented 'Canes but not-so-secretly hope that their size lets them down just enough for even Va Tech to chase them down.
1. Miami 2. Virginia Tech 3. UNC 4. Pitt 5. Georgia Tech 6. Duke 7. Virginia

FSU over Miami BIG LEAGUE

Big 12 - Hard not to go with OU, but down a coach and road games to K-State and the Cowboys. A top 10 OK State team has to beat them someday. Right?! Let's go with chaos. I won't call who beats who, but it's [still] funny when the Big XII suffers.
1a. Oklahoma 1b. Oklahoma State 1c. Kansas State 4. TCU 5. Texas 6. West Virginia 7. Iowa State 8. Baylor 9. Kansas 10. Texas Tech

Oklahoma over Oklahoma State

Big Ten - hahahaha, people still buy the Penn State fluke FG against a mediocre OSU team? That is all. Fine, they are good, but OSU will still breeze to the title. I'm not entirely sure where Maryland will get its sixth win from this year (or frankly, fifth), but let's call it a Penn State upset!
1. Ohio State 2. Penn State 3. Michigan 4. Michigan State 5. Indiana 6. Maryland 7. Rutgers
Sconnie will likewise lock up a Division title in the much improved west and is the biggest sleeper for an undefeated regular season if they can squeeze by the UM and the three finishers right behind them. Only Nebraska is on the road and the next toughest road game is for Paul Bunyan's axe which has been safe since '03. (I know, I know, beware BYU!) Northwestern is also back with a much easier non-conference schedule and could breeze through the late season games (though if they fall to Nebraska, second place could be a tie). And poor Lovie Smith gets Purdue on the road and an ugly non-conference Sad Fleck starts off with Minnesota in a Georgia Tech like position as one of the best teams out, but they could just as easily take a Big Ten bowl spot over Maryland - I just think the losses will spiral at the end.
1. Wisconsin 2. Northwestern 3. Nebraska 4. Iowa 5. Minnesota 6. Purdue 7. Illinois
Wisconsin over Ohio State in the upset despite being undefeated going in.

C-USA: How much will great coaching inject into last season's snoozefest? Not all that much this year is my guess though the Lane Kiffin ESPN time should help the league sooner or later. You can feel UTSA is right on the edge of a complete breakthrough as all the ESPN money games they took start to pay dividends.
1. Old Dominion 2. Western Kentucky 3. Middle Tennessee 4. FAU 5. FIU 6. Marshall 7. Charlotte
1. UTSA 2. Southern Miss 3. Louisiana Tech 4. North Texas 5. Rice 6. UAB (Charlotte +UTEP at home Tongue) 7. UTEP

UTSA over ODU

MACtion looks to take a backseat again this year with the loss of PJ Fleck after all of last season's epic hype. The sole question appears to be how many of Akron, EMU, NIU, and CMU can squeak out that 6th win? Lot of interesting games early in the years against the Powerhouse bottomfeeders, but I'm not sure many upsets will happen vs. the likes of Kansas, BC, Cuse, or Kentucky.
1. Miami (OH) 2. Ohio 3. Akron 4. Kent State 5. Bowling Green 6. Buffalo
1. Toledo 2. Western Michigan 3. Eastern Michigan 4. Northern Illinois 5. Central Michigan 6. Ball State

Toledo over Miami (OH)

Mountain West: I have taken a stance of complete neutrality in the Mountain Division as all of the top three are very capable of winning it. Wyoming legitimately has a potential pro at QB and a coach who knows how to win. I think the Boise win was a fluke last year, but what the heck - even without Hill - the real focal point of last year's dominance - I'll give it to them. Only Boise has to beat SDSU for this to be a three way tie among one loss teams. The winner of that tiebreaker takes the title.
1a. Wyoming 1b. Boise State 1c. Colorado State 4. Air Force 5. Utah State 6. New Mexico
1. San Diego State 2. Hawaii 3. UNLV 4. Nevada 5. Fresno State 6. San Jose State

Wyoming over San Diego State in the rematch.

Pac-12: The spot of my biggest mistakes last year, and I fully expect it to be so again this year. So rather than any #analysis to taint my inevitably wrong picks, I will just say Wazzu gets its revenge on big brother, and I am excited to see what Kalen Ballage can do in the first four and last four - the middle four scare me. 2-4 spots up for grabs there, and I didn't like Montez at QB for the Buffaloes. All distant behind USC regardless though several opportunities to make USC a multi-loss team will liven up the playoff race.
1. Washington State 2. Washington 3. Stanford 4. Oregon 5. Oregon State 6. Cal
1. USC 2. Utah 3. Arizona State 4. Colorado 5. UCLA 6. Arizona

USC over Wazzu

SEC: It's basically Alabama and then everybody else, and it's not even particularly intriguing at this point. Mississippi State is a fun sleeper now that Armstrong has a year under his belt, and Ed Orgeron brings a lot of class (not grass!) to LSU and perhaps Auburn may even fight Clemson tougher, but the east is weaker than ever setting up for another title game snoozer. No, Jacob Eason won't be hypnotizing me this year! 3-6 are clearly tightly bunched with a lot of jobs on the line - UK and Vandy get Ole Miss and the 'Cocks are close enough to the top to steal a win in the east while avoiding the West's best. All in all, that spells trouble for UT, especially when they close the year failing to stop the Commodores from entering a bowl game again. A lot of out of conference challenges for this group including Western Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, Southern Miss, NC State, Wofford, and Georgia Tech - it remains very unclear who might come out of those victorious.
1. Florida 2. Georgia 3. South Carolina 4. Vanderbilt 5. Kentucky 6. Tennessee 7. Mizz-eww
1. Alabama 2. LSU 3. Mississippi State 4. Auburn 5. Arkansas 6. Texas A&M 7. Ole Miss

Alabama over Florida BIG LEAGUE

Sun Belt:
After what unexpectedly happened with Troy and USA last year, I may be sufficiently insulated with no clue of what is going on at the lower rungs of this region, so perhaps let's call this my one pick worse than the Pac-12. The bowl eligibilities are all so close, this is just a stab in the dark.
1. Troy 2. Appalachian State 3. Arkansas State 4. Georgia Southern 5. Coastal Carolina 6. Idaho 7. Georgia State 8. USA 9. ULL 10. ULM 11. New Mexico State 12. Texas State

BYU, Notre Dame, Army, UMass

Sugar Bowl: Alabama vs. Florida State
Rose Bowl: Wisconsin vs. USC
Championship: Alabama over USC

Orange Bowl: Louisville vs. Ohio State
Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Northwestern
Peach Bowl: USF vs. Washington State
Cotton Bowl: LSU vs. Oklahoma State

Kansas State (SoS vs. Ok St) / Washington (H2H WSU) / Penn State (H2H NU) / Clemson (H2H Louisville) / Florida (general weakness) outside looking in.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 08:41:56 PM »

FCS
Big South: 1. Charleston Southern 2. Liberty 3. Kennesaw State 4. Monmouth 5. Presbyterian 6. Gardner-Webb
Big Sky: 1. Cal Poly 2. Eastern Washington 3. North Dakota 4. Northern Arizona 5. Southern Utah 6. Montana 7. Weber State 8. Northern Colorado 9. Sacramento State 10. Montana State 11. Portland State 12. UC-David 13. Idaho State
Colonial: 1. James Madison 2. Richmond 3. Villanova 4. New Hampshire 5. Albany 6. William & Mary 7. Delaware 8. Stony Brook 9. Towson 10. Maine 11. Elon 12. Rhode Island (ironically, watch Maine over UMass be the conference's FBS upset rather than ECU for JMU, Temple for Nova, or UVA for WMU)
Ivy: 1. Princeton 2. Harvard 3. Penn 4. Yale 5. Columbia 6. Dartmouth 7. Brown 8. Cornell
MVFC: 1. North Dakota State 2. South Dakota State 3. Western Illinois 4. Northern Iowa 5. Youngstown State 6. Illinois State 7. South Dakota 8. Southern Illinois 9. Indiana State 10. Missouri State
Ohio Valley: 1. Jacksonville State 2. Eastern Illinois 3. UT-Martin 4. Tennessee State 5. SEMO 6. Tennessee Tech 7. Eastern Kentucky 8. Murray State 9. Austin Peay
Patriot: 1. Lehigh 2. Fordham 3. Colgate 4. Holy Cross 5. Bucknell 6. Georgetown 7. Lafayette
SoCon: 1. Wofford 2. Chattanooga 3. Samford 4. The Citadel 5. Mercer 6. Western Carolina 7. Furman 8. ETSU 9. VMI
Southland: 1. Sam Houston State 2. Central Arkansas 3. McNeese State 4. Stephen F. Austin 5. Lamar 6. Southeastern Louisiana 7. Abilene Christian 8. Nicholls State 9. Incarnate Word 10. Northwestern State 11. Houston Baptist
Pioneer: San Diego

Celebration Bowl: Grambling State over NC A+T

Richmond over North Dakota State for the National Championship
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 09:27:25 PM »

UVA's in another rebuilding year unfortunately, so I will be pretending to be a Va Tech fan at the WVU game at FedEx Field.

ACC predictions: FSU wins Atlantic going 7-1, Va Tech wins Coastal going 6-2; FSU thrashes VT in the championship

Playoffs: Bama, OSU, FSU, Oklahoma

Alabama probably wins it all.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 10:07:58 PM »

Rose Bowl: USC vs Ohio State (I can the committee rigging the seeding to send USC and Ohio State to the Rose Bowl should they make the playoff)

Sugar Bowl: Alabama vs Clemson ( Third playoff match in a row for these two teams, this time in a Semifinal, ESPN will love that)

Alabama defeats Clemson, USC defeats Ohio State.

Final: USC stuns Alabama 23-20.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 09:25:39 AM »

Illinois will probably suck, but I'm still SO excited for the season to start.  Hopefully year 2 of Lovie brings some improvement, if not in wins at least in quality of play.  Looking at the schedule, a slightly improved team could legitimately win 6 games, and I'd be happy with that.  As for Iowa, I think they should be okay, but I'm more interested in the tailgating there. Tongue  I live about a block from Kinnick Stadium with two friends, and we have a big yard; tailgating has been a blast the last few years!  I have a very fun college football season planned, thankfully; lots of tailgates planned, Illinois comes to Iowa City (always a very interesting tailgate with my friends, haha), taking two roadtrips (Champaign for an Illini game with the family and Madison with my friends for the Iowa/Wisconsin game), a short vacation to Door County and two weddings thrown in there.  As for my season predictions for my teams:

ILLINOIS
W vs. Ball State
W vs. Western Kentucky
L at South Florida
W vs. Nebraska (WOOH!)
L at Iowa
W vs. Rutgers
L at Minnesota
L vs. Wisconsin
W at Purdue
W vs. Indiana (sadly, this will be an upset)
L at Ohio State
L vs. Northwestern

Record: 6-6 (4-5) ... I'd be very happy with this in year 2 of Lovie (literally doubling our win total from last year)!

IOWA
W vs. Wyoming
W at Iowa State
L vs. Penn State
W at Michigan State
W vs. Illinois
L at Northwestern
W vs. Minnesota
L vs. Ohio State
L at Wisconsin
W vs. Purdue
W at Nebraska

Record: 8-4 (5-4), probably good for some bowl no one cares about yet Iowa fans will absolutely descend upon
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 09:28:24 AM »

I would love it if Vandy were to finish 4th in the SEC East and make a bowl game again, even if it is Music City, Birmingham, Memphis, Mobile or Charlotte.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 11:47:36 AM »

I'll make it short and sweet - I'm not buying USC. They might make the playoff due to a weak PAC12 But don't see them being a threat in the playoffs. Ohio State over Alabama in the NC.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 11:50:59 AM »

Go Buckeyes! Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »

Sadly the Big Ten will be the best conference in the country, but more gawdawful is none of those teams will win the national championship.  I do hope State Penn sucks ass this year.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »

Sadly the Big Ten will be the best conference in the country, but more gawdawful is none of those teams will win the national championship.  I do hope State Penn sucks ass this year.
If you can't get into college, go to Pitt.
If you can't get into college, 'cause you don't have any knowledge,
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »

A similar jingle in Illinois (when Illinois rarely plays ISU) is, "If you can't go to school, go to state."

I also once heard an Indiana fan claim that everyone who applies to Illinois gets in; an Illini fan very accurately responded that if that were true, IU wouldn't have any students, LOL.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 02:52:31 PM »

A similar jingle in Illinois (when Illinois rarely plays ISU) is, "If you can't go to school, go to state."

I also once heard an Indiana fan claim that everyone who applies to Illinois gets in; an Illini fan very accurately responded that if that were true, IU wouldn't have any students, LOL.

Oh! I must've stolen it without realizing this when I wrote this:

If you're really into kiddies, go to State
If you're really into kiddies, and you can't get into [redacted]
If you're really into kiddies, pick Penn State

(Too soon?)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 02:57:42 PM »

(Too soon?)

I was such a radical with that scandal, haha.  My friend group got into so many debates, and I was an unapologetic death penalty supporter.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 10:16:45 PM »

You can tell that he didn't go to either school because he isn't aware that U of I is an objectively better school.

Anyway, go Illini! 6 wins would be just fine. Hopefully they can reach it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 08:48:35 AM »

Sadly the Big Ten will be the best conference in the country, but more gawdawful is none of those teams will win the national championship.  I do hope State Penn sucks ass this year.

(Too soon?)

Not too soon at all...........almost too late.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies