North Korea Mega Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 06:28:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Korea Mega Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 34
Author Topic: North Korea Mega Thread  (Read 79259 times)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: August 09, 2017, 12:12:43 PM »

Supposedly North Korea is thinking about striking Guam, can't imagine they're really that stupid.
I believe that it would just be the waters around Guam
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #301 on: August 09, 2017, 12:23:19 PM »

Supposedly North Korea is thinking about striking Guam, can't imagine they're really that stupid.

That would be a go ahead, make my day moment. If Kim launches anywhere near Guam, it would be considered an attack on the US and force a retaliatory strike. Don't forget, the EEZ is 200 miles out so that would limit Kim's targeting to a precise window outside of that to incur less of a chance of a US response. At this point, Kim is punching the hornet's nest.

You're a madman. Kim has hit within Japan's EEZ many times. Should Japan have launched retaliatory strikes?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #302 on: August 09, 2017, 12:36:03 PM »

That would be a go ahead, make my day moment. If Kim launches anywhere near Guam, it would be considered an attack on the US and force a retaliatory strike. Don't forget, the EEZ is 200 miles out so that would limit Kim's targeting to a precise window outside of that to incur less of a chance of a US response. At this point, Kim is punching the hornet's nest.

You're a madman. Kim has hit within Japan's EEZ many times. Should Japan have launched retaliatory strikes?

I'm not mad, just used to working with the military and can understand the response. What do you think the US response to a launch on Guam would be? Oh let's just issue a demarche, sanction more? Japan didn't hit them because it is following the US's lead and has less military capability to do so. They are increasingly worried about this and have sought to even change their constitution to boost their military. Abe called an emergency action meeting after the latest one landed in their EEZ so I am sure the option or discussion of it came up.

Sure you are mad. What you are advocating is mad. If a splashdown within the EEZ is considered an attack, then Japan has been attacked, and the US Japan mutual defense treaty would then be activated. Japan obviously didn't do anything because it would be mad to start a war that could get Tokyo nuked over a missile landing in the EEZ. Further, Kim has no reason to think such a launch would result in retaliation due to the Japan precedent.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #303 on: August 09, 2017, 12:41:16 PM »

I think the US, China, and other regional powers need to spend more resources and time on preparing for the inevitable North Korean refugee crisis. Avoiding nuclear war is priority #1 in Korea, but a refugee crisis is inevitable.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #304 on: August 09, 2017, 12:42:04 PM »

CNN's headline is pretty misleading. It implies Mattis said we would strike if they continued their actions, which are just threats and tests, when his real statement said they should stop DELIBERATING actions that would lead to strikes, like bombing Guam.

Very misleading.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #305 on: August 09, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »

I'm not mad, just used to working with the military and can understand the response. What do you think the US response to a launch on Guam would be? Oh let's just issue a demarche, sanction more? Japan didn't hit them because it is following the US's lead and has less military capability to do so. They are increasingly worried about this and have sought to even change their constitution to boost their military. Abe called an emergency action meeting after the latest one landed in their EEZ so I am sure the option or discussion of it came up.

Sure you are mad. What you are advocating is mad. If a splashdown within the EEZ is considered an attack, then Japan has been attacked, and the US Japan mutual defense treaty would then be activated. Japan obviously didn't do anything because it would be mad to start a war that could get Tokyo nuked over a missile landing in the EEZ. Further, Kim has no reason to think such a launch would result in retaliation due to the Japan precedent.

It's not that I'm advocating it, per se, it's what I think may happen with all of the hawks surrounding Trump. I am still IRR until 2020 so if war does happen, believe me, I could very well be recalled to AD, and have family and friends still in. Understand that I am not saying bomb them all at all opportunities like the chickenhawks do, but I really do think that a missile landing anywhere near Guam, even in the EEZ, would provide Trump an opening for war. If it actually hit the base(s), it's a done deal for war. Kim is a factor that is completely unpredictable. He may ignore this latest review for the Guam plan or actually order it and go short, who knows?

If what you're saying is true, then Trump is Dr. Strangelove levels of hawkishness. There has been no nuclear war in 72 years, and he gets in and in this case, starts one in less than a year. Of course jfern and half the people who were hysterical about bombing Syria have nothing to say. They were worried about Hillary Clinton starting wars.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #306 on: August 09, 2017, 01:19:50 PM »

It's not that I'm advocating it, per se, it's what I think may happen with all of the hawks surrounding Trump. I am still IRR until 2020 so if war does happen, believe me, I could very well be recalled to AD, and have family and friends still in. Understand that I am not saying bomb them all at all opportunities like the chickenhawks do, but I really do think that a missile landing anywhere near Guam, even in the EEZ, would provide Trump an opening for war. If it actually hit the base(s), it's a done deal for war. Kim is a factor that is completely unpredictable. He may ignore this latest review for the Guam plan or actually order it and go short, who knows?

If what you're saying is true, then Trump is Dr. Strangelove levels of hawkishness. There has been no nuclear war in 72 years, and he gets in and in this case, starts one in less than a year. Of course jfern and half the people who were hysterical about bombing Syria have nothing to say. They were worried about Hillary Clinton starting wars.

It wouldn't be nuclear unless Kim orders a nuclear strike. We would bomb them conventionally but hold the nuclear option in reserve in case Kim follows on our bombing with CBRN strikes, which he probably would, hence the circular problem of hitting NK. Any scenario incurs a ton of casualties, esp on Seoul and potentially on Japan. The pro is THAAD and Aegis BMD ships to shoot down NK missiles but even then many NK missiles and arty would get through, as they would fire them in a hailstorm of launches.

Right, a regime change war against a state with 30-60 nuclear weapons makes a nuclear strike fait accompli.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #307 on: August 09, 2017, 01:27:55 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2017, 01:29:53 PM by Beet »

It wouldn't be nuclear unless Kim orders a nuclear strike. We would bomb them conventionally but hold the nuclear option in reserve in case Kim follows on our bombing with CBRN strikes, which he probably would, hence the circular problem of hitting NK. Any scenario incurs a ton of casualties, esp on Seoul and potentially on Japan. The pro is THAAD and Aegis BMD ships to shoot down NK missiles but even then many NK missiles and arty would get through, as they would fire them in a hailstorm of launches.

Right, a regime change war against a state with 30-60 nuclear weapons makes a nuclear strike fait accompli.

Not necessarily, we could hit his sites conventionally before they launch. The major concern is the timing of NK's launches, and the locations, hence the B-1B and B-2 drills.

That assumes they don't have launchers we don't know about. They also can see the B-1B and B-2's coming, the statement they released suggests as much.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #308 on: August 09, 2017, 01:59:01 PM »

Reading the comments from the State Department presser on DPRK, Trump loyalists love the fiery rhetoric. 
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #309 on: August 09, 2017, 02:26:53 PM »

Reading the comments from the State Department presser on DPRK, Trump loyalists love the fiery rhetoric. 

Nobody else does.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #310 on: August 09, 2017, 02:38:48 PM »

Which is the entire point of poking North Korea.
Higgins
« Reply #311 on: August 09, 2017, 03:03:17 PM »

I'm not a Trumpist, but I love the fiery rhetoric, I only wish we would actually act on it and unleash dragon fire on North Korea.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #312 on: August 09, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »

I'm not a Trumpist, but I love the fiery rhetoric, I only wish we would actually act on it and unleash dragon fire on North Korea.

If you want to burn people alive, you are a complete failure as a human being.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #313 on: August 09, 2017, 04:00:32 PM »

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #314 on: August 09, 2017, 04:10:50 PM »

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #315 on: August 09, 2017, 05:42:31 PM »

This certainly escalates the situation but there's still a chance they won't.

Praying for everyone's safety.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #316 on: August 09, 2017, 05:45:34 PM »

North Korea's like the woman next door in an abusive relationship that you hear at 1am screaming at her boyfriend if he comes home drunk from the strip club that late again, she's packing her sh*t and leaving him for good. He just screams back "go for it b*tch." Then you hear same thing one week later.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #317 on: August 09, 2017, 05:46:36 PM »

North Korea's like the woman next door in an abusive relationship that you hear at 1am screaming at her boyfriend if he comes home drunk from the strip club that late again, she's packing her sh*t and leaving him for good. Then you hear same thing one week later.
Pretty much. Year after year (and this year day after day)
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #318 on: August 09, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »

The media is really ing this one up. They are reporting it all over the place as an attack on Guam with wording that makes people think the threat is at Guam itself, rather than the waters around it. The average person will see that headline and think 'Oh, it's just a bluff.' Then when they wake up in a week or two and hear that North Korea actually fired a missile towards Guam their confidence will be shaken, when in reality it's what they said they were planning. Given the specificity of this threat, I would say it's a credible one, and they may well go through with firing a missile at the waters around Guam. The irony is that if we shoot it down with missile defense, the government will have to tell us what the trajectory was. That would really unsettle people.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #319 on: August 09, 2017, 05:51:08 PM »

Here is another media mistake:
http://www.38north.org/2017/08/editor080917/
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #320 on: August 09, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #321 on: August 09, 2017, 05:57:51 PM »

North Korea once again threatened to fire missiles at Guam, this time they threatened to fire 4 near Guam.
Higgins
« Reply #322 on: August 09, 2017, 06:18:27 PM »

North Korea once again threatened to fire missiles at Guam, this time they threatened to fire 4 near Guam.

Are they suicidal?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #323 on: August 09, 2017, 06:21:08 PM »

Oh god I'm going to be sick again
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #324 on: August 09, 2017, 06:24:29 PM »

From the original release by Yonhap:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2017/08/10/0200000000AEN20170810000600315.html
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies